So... when you are flying, "Power off electronic devices..."

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 1080p, May 13, 2015.

1. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Does that mean I have to turn off my Apple Watch too? Why should I when the Rolex, Tag Heuer and other brand wearers leave them on?

2. batman75 macrumors 6502

Do you live in the dark ages?

These days you don't have to turn off your iPad, or your phone, or your iPod or any other small electronics under 2lbs. You only have to turn off your wide band radio (e.g. GSM/UMTS/LTE/CDMA, etc.) and larger electronics such as laptops.

3. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Just put it in airplane mode, same as your phone.

4. Joe1602 macrumors regular

Dark ages = October 2013? Give him a break man, some of us don't travel that often.

5. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

You don't even have to put it in airplane mode, but it saves your battery if you do.

6. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Ya in planes, you aint gonna need many features. Turn it off for battery saving.

Last time I took plane was in 2008 lol :p

7. J.C macrumors 6502

It's the airline industry in many countries that live in the dark ages (and perhaps Americans in their understanding of the world ;)). The regulations are different country to country. Where I live all airlines still require devices to be off or in airplane mode.

OP, the reason why you should turn your Apple Watch off if requested (even though regular watch wearers don't) is because your watch has WiFi and Bluetooth and those others watches don't. The Apple Watch is a wrist computer not just a timepiece. And of course to respect the airline's procedures, as silly and out-dated as they may be.

8. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Well then your country's airlines still live in the dark ages! There has been no statistically significant impact documented of small radio devices such as cellphones on airplane equipment.

9. flur macrumors 68000

Or, yanno, just don't worry about it. Unless you're flashing your watch at the flight attendant, odds are they won't even think to check to see if it's turned on.

WiFi and Bluetooth don't interact with the systems on airplanes, so that's not really a valid reason to turn it off on a plane.

10. J.C macrumors 6502

I know there's no good reason these days. The staff on the plane know this too. But they are required to ask and I do it because I want to make their job as easy as possible. I'm not sure why you guys want to try and Internet-argue about this. It's a fact around the world and the reason why the OP asked what they asked. Move on with your life.

11. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

As far as I know no airline requires you to turn off electronic devices anymore.

12. J.C macrumors 6502

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

Not Strictly true. You're supposed to turn off all electronic items during take off and landing. All other times you can leave them on.

14. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Not true any more. You need to turn off cellular access, but other handheld electronic devices are fine. Last flight I took I was reading my iPad while the plane was landing.

15. flur macrumors 68000

Not anymore. At least not on anyone I've flown in the last year and a half. You only have to turn off large electronics. It's been great, as I no longer get asked to turn off my kindle - I can read right through, just like I used to with the bricks, I mean books, that I used to carry.

16. J.C macrumors 6502

Why does the world stop once it reaches the end of your own personal experience. Accept that in others parts of the world others are experiencing things that are different to what you know and you'll have grown as a person.

17. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Nope just airplane mode. Laptops must be stowed. You can have an iPhone or iPad.

18. flur macrumors 68000

*eyeroll* You're doing the exact same thing, except you're refusing to acknowledge that it's your personal experience and claiming it's fact. Maybe doing some self-evaluation will help you grow as a person.

And for the record, Flights in the US, Europe, and Asia count as covering about half the world, last I checked. Co-workers have confirmed their flights to Australia didn't require this either, so...I guess either you're flying an out of touch airline or you're on one of the two remaining continents that folks live on.

19. J.C macrumors 6502

That's a kind of confusing reply. Something can be my personal experience and be fact. It can also be your personal experience and a fact. What I said was not ALL airlines allow it. I'll be clear. I'm saying that flights are still taking place on planet earth that require passengers to turn devices off and that I've personally experienced it. You confirmed this yourself just now. Not for a second did I say that most flights don't allow devices to stay on. In fact I clearly acknowledged that most flights don't have a problem with it, nor should they. So at no point did I refuse to accept that other people's experience was not real. I fly frequently domestically and internationally and most flights have no dramas with devices on. Some have an issue with it.

20. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

DUDE no. This rule was changed in 2013. ALL major airlines have gate to gate electronics.

----------

Please let me know the domestic airlines that have an issue. I plan to contact customer service to inquire.

21. J.C macrumors 6502

You're clear from my previous comments in the thread that I'm not American right?

22. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Better question: Are they making you take the watch off when you go through security? I would hate to have the watch scratched up in the plastic bins.

23. PegasusTenma macrumors regular

PegasusTenma

That's not a better question, you ALWAYS have to take everything extra off to go trough security. Specially metals.

24. oddysea992 macrumors member

Yeah, I go through butt naked ... a tad embarrassing but whatever helps the security guys do their job! :D;)