Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, I go through butt naked ... a tad embarrassing but whatever helps the security guys do their job! :D;)

You didn't read, did you? I said everything "extra" and specially metallic stuff. If you need me to specify, then you need to travel more.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
That's not a better question, you ALWAYS have to take everything extra off to go trough security. Specially metals.

Again, you guys are thinking US only. I hadn't worn a watch for a long before the Apple Watch so I wasn't sure, but flying within Australia I've been told not to bother taking it off. Metal belts I rarely take off either. In the US it's a different story but here I can almost always walk through the metal detector just fine with small amounts of metal like that. I believe the sensitivity of the machine is adjustable.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Again, you guys are thinking US only. I hadn't worn a watch for a long before the Apple Watch so I wasn't sure, but flying within Australia I've been told not to bother taking it off. Metal belts I rarely take off either. In the US it's a different story but here I can almost always walk through the metal detector just fine with small amounts of metal like that. I believe the sensitivity of the machine is adjustable.

Nope, not USA.

But I've traveled almost the entirety of Europe and part of South America and I've always had to take all the stuff off for international travels.

But I admit I forgot about national flights, and I don't do many of those so I don't really know how different airports handle that. Sorry.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013

You don't have to take your watch (or belt) off in the US either if you know it won't set off the detectors. Sometimes you get a rouge TSA agent who insists, but most of the time it's at your discretion. If you set of the detectors, then back you go.

Of course I should add, since we all seem to be so uptight in this tread regarding fact vs. personal experience, that's been my personal, frequent, and very recent experience.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
That's not a better question, you ALWAYS have to take everything extra off to go trough security. Specially metals.

If you go through Pre-check in the US they will tell you to keep all your jewelry, watches, shoes, etc. on.

I don't have another flight until next month, but I plan to tuck my watch into my bag when it's time to go through the metal detector/body scanner, just to be on the safe side.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Better question: Are they making you take the watch off when you go through security? I would hate to have the watch scratched up in the plastic bins.

In the pre-check line, you don't need to take off a watch. I went through with a Milanese Loop band with no issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.