So where are the $100 off sales?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by frank33v, Feb 24, 2016.

1. frank33v macrumors member

I keep reading about the watch being on sale at best buy and target for $100 off but I don't see that online anywhere....is it only an in -store thing ?

Ready to buy but don't want to waste an extra $100.

2. kevroc macrumors 6502

You missed it.

B&H not only had them discounted, but no tax for most and open box items for up to $100 cheaper than that. Saw one for $180...

Wait for Apple to discount it at their next event.

3. TypeMRT, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

TypeMRT macrumors 6502

They were holiday sales basically from every major retailer from November through January. You simply waited too long to decide and missed the window.
    Update: Woot has refurbished models on sale today starting at $230.

4. Qqueenie macrumors regular

Qqueenie

Actually, both Target and Best Buy resumed their $100 off sales last month. Unfortunately, OP, everything seems to be back to normal price again. Keep an eye out; they may have another sale.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wait for a major holiday. The two $100 off sales were timed right before Christmas and Valentine's Day, presumably as loss leader items for these retailers.

6. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

They'll have a sale before the new one is announced and another one around Mother's Day.

7. Bigredhunk macrumors newbie

BB's $100 off sale lasted a long time. It seemed like it was advertised on their site every time I logged in for a month.

8. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

It's possible we could be seeing the $100 discounts again. From DC Rainmaker's new review of the Fitbit Blaze –

"At $200 it’s at or above the price of numerous GPS watches (Garmin, Polar, TomTom units), and, it’s only $50 below what the Apple Watch was over the holidays and is expected to be at again shortly."

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/fitbit-blaze-depth-review.html

9. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Paid $249 for my sport at Best Buy on Saturday, February 20. The next day the sal s had need so I lucked out. There was someone who posted that they we on Groupon although I got mine cheaper. Keep looking and good luck!

10. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

We you tempted to buy anything else at B&H and consider the AW a loss leader?:apple:

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's beside the point. There are obviously people who'd only buy the AW when it's $100 off and the retailer will most certainly lose money or at least break even with those customers. However, those on the fence might end up buying a few random things while in the store when getting the AW, or they might consider something else other than the AW. That's the goal of the loss leader. The retailer wins some and loses some, but might succeed in bringing in more revenue that way. It's not a new concept.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry but we do not agree. It is the exact point. You and I will not agree on this but I would bet that Apple is "helping" the retailers have this "sale" to move inventory. It is no secret that the AW did not sell quite a s many as was hoped.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What's the basis for this? Apple sold more AWs compared to the first generation iPhone and iPad at launch. It is quite unrealistic to expect the first generation AW to sell in as many numbers as the latest generation iPhone and iPad, especially given that it's not exactly "iPhone-free", and many pundits hold this unrealistic expectation.

15. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Different thread. :) this was to answer about any sales and not a Best Buy.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2016 ---
    I'm horrible at Best Buy. If I go in there to buy something or check out something, I end up buying something. I'm the target audience for foot traffic.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2016 ---
    My gut says the Apple Watch or anyone's smart watch never sells more than an iPhone or Galaxy, etc. Phone free or not. Successful first gen? Estimated to have made Apple a few billion and rated number one searched item in 2015 Xmas season. People want it, interested in it. Sales of 11-15mm estimate says it did what the iPhone took 2-3 years to do when introducing a new market item.

We expect apple to release something and it sells 100mm in months but that can take 10 iterations of the "item" to reach that level.

The first iPhone didn't sell, all competitors were quoted saying it is a flop, niche, no threat to "us", etc. That was Ballmer and Microsoft, Motorola and Blackberry. Apple dropped the price 25-50% on the first iPhone within months.

Time will tell if the AW will be a huge success but never like the iPhone or Galaxy. 50mm second or third gen. 100mm by 5th gen all sound like goals.

Samsung sells way way way more smart phones than Apple but who is the successful company? The one that holds 95% of all profit... And shareholders like me.

16. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Think it might have been because AT&T relented and decided to subsidize it with contracts?

Back on the AW: if it sells to "a measly 5%" of iPhone owners -- which was less than the takeup rate at work last I checked -- it's going to sell a LOT. There's an awful lot of iPhones out there.

Bigger picture -- if Samsung and Android Wear watches sell in similar proportions, the whole smartwatch category is going to be bigger than the Swiss (or even the Japanese watch brands) have feared.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, that didn't happen until the iPhone 3G. Apple simply overpriced the original iPhone but they didn't repeat this mistake with subsequent iDevices.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just the fact that "Tim is staying mum" on the watch sales is a good indicator. Apple giving incentives to discount the watch is another. Neither of us have the proof but I am still betting that the AW did not sell like Apple wanted it to do. It will not be a looser and will do OK in the long run.

19. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

An alternative is that Apple is damping the initial surge in demand for its hottest new product by simply putting the price up!

A high launch price followed by later discounts from 3rd parties (something Apple never sanctioned before now) would do the trick. We've seen that now with the watch ($100 off) and lately the iPad Pro ($75 - $150 off)

So, maybe the watch was "supposed" to start at $250, but Apple cleverly added $100 to throttle the initial demand to manageable levels?

It solves a lot of problems: Scalpers, eBay sellers, grey imports, disappointed customers, overworked factories and warehousing - all while improving profits.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

That is some theory.:rolleyes:

No doubt there was a supply shortage. If you wanted space black you had to wait a long time.

21. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

My experience is electrical and mechanical engineering. I have no clue if the Apple Watch price drop is related to sales. Last year Apple Promised that they would not have another massive shortage on iPhones at the launch so they publicly came out saying they would have the most iPhones available at launch last fall. They had trouble getting the Apple Watch going at launch for several reasons - parts failing, bands, etc. Whatever it was, they eventually got rolling and maybe stuck with the promise of having more than initial demand.

I believe the price drop is normal and maybe some based on demand but the profit in each unit is so great, they can.

I think the new Galaxy S7 looks great and yet I am seeing sales of buy one get one free and a free pair of VR goggles. Does that mean the demand is terrible? NO! It hasn't even shipped until this week in the US right?

Maybe they are doing everything in their power to get apple users to switch? Maybe lowering prices is to get rid of inventory for a new model or to get people to buy and not switch to Samsung.

22. JayLenochiniMac, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Their official reason for remaining mum is they didn't want to pass the info to their competitors, although I agree that sounds a bit suspicious. Apple isn't "giving" incentives to discount the watch; that's simply your own unsubstantiated theory. There have been a few discounts on iPhones, iPads, etc. at retailers such as Best Buy but it doesn't mean Apple is in it with them or they're not selling as well as anticipated.

23. Storminbalders macrumors newbie

I'm afraid this is wrong. The truth being the exact opposite. The price has risen dramatically;

The original iPhone was £270
    3G £349
    3GS £449
    4 & 4S both £499
    5 £529
    5S, 6 & 6S were all £539

24. JayLenochiniMac, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're discussing the wrong country and year. We're talking about the original iPhone that wasn't subsidized by AT&T at launch in the United States. It received a price cut and there was an uproar about it from early adopters so Apple ended up giving them a credit.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_(1st_generation)
    "At the same time, Apple significantly dropped the price of the 8 GB model (from $599 to $399, still requiring a 2-year contract with AT&T) while discontinuing the 4 GB model.[25] Apple sold the one millionth iPhone five days later, or 74 days after the release.[26] After receiving "hundreds of emails...upset" about the price drop, Apple gave store credit to early adopters.[27]"

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The great thing is I can have my opinion and you can have yours. They are both just opinions as you know no more than I do on the subject. Hopefully sales will pick up this Holiday season!