Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
:)

Seriously, I looked over the list of 5.1 improvements and the only one that intrigued me was related to battery usage, but there was no explanation of what was changed to improve battery life.

So, I guess I'll wait for the JB, since there are some JB features far more valuable to me than the short list of "improvements" in 5.1.

Does the JB crew have to start from scratch? Or is it possible a new JB version will be out in short order?

Thanks!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Funny-Demotivational-Posters.-Part-16-Face-Palm-Edition_33-550x440.jpg

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You mean, I'm the first?

Cool.

Seriously, the iPhone is much mo' betta' with JB. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Jb's are not like mac and cheese.
Add water and boil for 10 minutes.
It takes tons of work, many many hours of coding, researching and trying to overcome security obstacles put there by Apple.
They can take months to release, not minutes.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
And a proper Mac and Cheese is nothing like yours. It starts with a homemade cheese sauce melted on the stove with a few different cheeses and spices. That sauce then gets mixed in with noodles and baked in the oven for about an hour with bread crumbs and butter on the top.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
You mean, I'm the first?

Cool.

Seriously, the iPhone is much mo' betta' with JB. Hope it doesn't take too long.

I'm hoping you started this thread as a joke.

Should've stayed on 5.0.1 if you wanted to keep your jb though.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
And a proper Mac and Cheese is nothing like yours. It starts with a homemade cheese sauce melted on the stove with a few different cheeses and spices. That sauce then gets mixed in with noodles and baked in the oven for about an hour with bread crumbs and butter on the top.

See, even that is complicated:D
lol

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
It's amusing how quick the threads were created asking if people's battery strength had improved or not and people stating they like a particular new improvement but then replies saying that improvement existed in the 5.0.1 software.

I can see the mods having a busy time merging and closing threads.

And now the when can we re jailbreak threads.

5.1 does not bring anything to the table for me.
I'm jb and find my tweaks far outweigh what 5.1 offers.

I could understand a little impatience with the 5.0.1 because that was alot more rich in features.

As said earlier the only interesting implement is battery fixes although I get around 1.5 days moderate to heavy usage at present anyway.

I admit anything released by Apple generates great interest and excitement.

:rolleyes:

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I'm betting cydia tweaks will add the functionality of 5.1 to 5.0.1 before a jailbreak is released.

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
I think the battery stuff is a second attempt at fixing the problem for the minority of 4S users having battery trouble.

The jailbreakers more or less have to start over from scratch, as Apple has closed the security holes they have been using. Possibly they have already discovered some other exploitable holes that they have kept secret, but don't count on it.

On older devices (iPhone4 and below) they already have the limera1n exploit in the bootrom, allowing a tethered jailbreak more or less from day one. This gives them a head-start when working on the new operating system, as they can tinker freely (and later use the same vulnerability to install the new jailbreak, when they find it).

On newer devices (iPhone4s and iPad 2) it is a lot tougher, as they also need to find a vulnerability to install the jailbreak - and even one that can be triggered without full access to the device. Very difficult indeed, and they may not be able to crack it.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I'm hoping you started this thread as a joke.

Should've stayed on 5.0.1 if you wanted to keep your jb though.

Of course it is a joke and not serious. I'm just poking fun at the JB fans who have no patience. But, hey, I apparently was first in line with the running gag!

I'm still running 5.0.1. I didn't see anything in the latest upgrade that interested me enough to lose my JB over. I am curious about what might have been done to improve battery life, but I didn't see an explanation of what was changed.

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009

Seriously, I looked over the list of 5.1 improvements and the only one that intrigued me was related to battery usage, but there was no explanation of what was changed to improve battery life.

So, I guess I'll wait for the JB, since there are some JB features far more valuable to me than the short list of "improvements" in 5.1.

Does the JB crew have to start from scratch? Or is it possible a new JB version will be out in short order?

Thanks!

It's not often just a thread title will make me lol...but this one did, thanks! :)

movadoevo8

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012

Thanks!

If i update will my phone become UN-JAILBROKEN?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.