Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I would actually rather them work on a way to overcome the issue of not being able to restore and re-JB because of the signing thing. At least then, I wouldn't feel so worried about installing things from Cydia and worrying that I might need a restore at some point.

Though truth be told, I have never had to... Every crash I have had, or even tweaks that just didn't want to play, I was able to get out via either hard rebooting or going into safe mode and just un-installing the offending app. Nothing ever crashed / froze the phone so badly that I couldn't get it sorted without resorting to restoring.

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
I would actually rather them work on a way to overcome the issue of not being able to restore and re-JB because of the signing thing. At least then, I wouldn't feel so worried about installing things from Cydia and worrying that I might need a restore at some point.

Though truth be told, I have never had to... Every crash I have had, or even tweaks that just didn't want to play, I was able to get out via either hard rebooting or going into safe mode and just un-installing the offending app. Nothing ever crashed / froze the phone so badly that I couldn't get it sorted without resorting to restoring.

use ifaith to get your blobs and tinyumbrella so you dont have to update

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
blobs don't work on the 4S once Apple stops signing that's it.. At least for now. We save them encase they become useful. ;)

oh snapz... you got me
my bad. well if it wasnt an A5 device it would work :D
puppy_im_sorry.jpg

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I like the feature of being able to delete photos in the stream, but not worth me "unjailbreaking" my 4S at this time.

Hey call this a stupid question, but when I was on android, I could make nanbackups of my custom ROM, themes, ect so if I ever needed to do a restore, I could always revert to saved backup of everything once the restore was done. Is there anything like this on iOS that would allow me to save my theme and everything on my jailbreak for future devices?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd like to install iPhoto and the updated iWork apps on my iPhone 4, but I'm not sure if that outweighs the benefits of being jailbroken (SBSettings, biteSMS, Spire).

Chris230291

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
I like the feature of being able to delete photos in the stream, but not worth me "unjailbreaking" my 4S at this time.

Hey call this a stupid question, but when I was on android, I could make nanbackups of my custom ROM, themes, ect so if I ever needed to do a restore, I could always revert to saved backup of everything once the restore was done. Is there anything like this on iOS that would allow me to save my theme and everything on my jailbreak for future devices?

There's several utilities that can do this, but i only recommend one of them. I recommend OpenBackup. It's the only one i have tried that actually works 100%, and it's free. Other utilities may have improved sine I've used them but why go down the paid route when the free option works really well?

The backup is stored in iCloud. If you do not want to restore from an iCloud backup, they give you the directory where the jailbreak backup is kept. That way you can just store it on dropbox or something using iFile or SSH.

This thing will take you from stock to what your device was like when you backed up in like 2 mins.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
There's several utilities that can do this, but i only recommend one of them. I recommend OpenBackup. It's the only one i have tried that actually works 100%, and it's free. Other utilities may have improved sine I've used them but why go down the paid route when the free option works really well?

The backup is stored in iCloud. If you do not want to restore from an iCloud backup, they give you the directory where the jailbreak backup is kept. That way you can just store it on dropbox or something using iFile or SSH.

This thing will take you from stock to what your device was like when you backed up in like 2 mins.

Awesome dude, thanks for the tip! So theoretically, I can use this, restore my iPhone upgrade to 5.1, then when a jailbreak comes, jail break it and flash the backup and all will be like it was before?

Chris230291

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Yeah thats right. So long as OpenBackup supports iOS 5.1, id imagine it should. You will need to install Open Backup manually through cydia after jailbreaking, but then it will re-ad all of your sources, packages and even package settings for everything else you had installed.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
It's funny that the OP would ask this an expect a real answer....?

This always ends with "it'll be out when it comes out"

These guys that put this out are working FOR FREE and NOT FOR YOU or ME, their only motivation to release these to n00bs like me and you is to show off their talents (can't blame them), they are no means under a deadline or answering to anyone on how their progress is or worried if you can change your icon shapes and colors. From what I understand they probably have jobs and lives that come in front of doing anything for free or for you.

Sorry for the rant. But asking a message board something like this is pointless, we are not the ones working on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.