So which iPhone models are unlockable for other networks? Confusing mess!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by halcyo, May 22, 2010.

1. halcyo macrumors newbie

I'm interested in buying a second hand iPhone for use on Cincinnati Bell Wireless. I understand that I will need to unlock/jailbreak/etc the phone for use on the network.

I seem to be having a difficult time finding concise answers as to WHICH iPhone models I can be looking for on the used market. I don't want to get stuck with a model that is TOO recent and can't be unlocked or upgraded/downgraded.

What model/OS is the best bet for the 'best' iPhone I can still use on an outside carrier? Can the pre-3g iPhones be upgraded to more current OSs if I decide to save some $$$?

Is there an UP TO DATE, comprehensive guide to this process anywhere? I'd be very appreciative of any info or advice. Thanks!

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

The original 2G iphone can be unlocked and upgraded to the latest Firmware 3.1.3
    It will not support the upcoming 4.0 FW

All other models of iPhone can be unlocked if they have a baseband of 5.11.07 or lower.
    If the phone has ever been updated to 3.1.3 this will upgrade the baseband to 5.12.01!(locked)
    The baseband, unlike the firmware, cannot be downgraded.

3. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

Well Pixelated is perhaps the most knowledgable person on most of this information because he/she is always posting answers to these types of questions.

My question to Pixelated is why can't the baseband be downgraded like the firmware if you restore to stock lower firmware.

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

umm, because. lol
    Im not a programer, and can barely write html, so i only know what can be done with the tools available.
    I guess it's just very hard to hack, and no one has found an exploit that allows for the manipulation of the bootloader.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The baseband once updated it cannot be downgraded like the firmware.
    Only on a very small percentage of early iphone 3G models where the baseband had an exploit that could be used to downgrade the baseband at any given time.
    Any iphone 3G and 3GS thats been officially updated to 3.1.3 cannot be unlocked for now.
    In a month or 2 when the new iphone is released we can all expect a new unlock to come out for the latest baseband on 4.0 firmware.

6. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

This happened on another firmware where the DevTeam couldn't figure out the code and had to wait till the next Apple update because the Baseboard and the Bootloader changed.

So what if you updated to 3.1.3 via the Felixbruns site where you can download iPad firmware, when I use 0.9.4 Redsn0w my iPhone doesn't allow for unlock like my iPhone 2G did.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's still the same firmware regardless of where you download it from and it can't be unlocked yet.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It's not an issue of they can't do it yet, the exploit is not being "wasted" on baseband 5.12.xx (3.1.3 firmware) but rather saved for 4.0 firmware.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hate when the Baseboard heat is changed by Apple :D

10. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

Exactly but I just can't understand why we can jailbreak 3.1.3 but tricking redsn0w that it is 3.1.2 and then use Cydia to downgrade all the crap but hell Apple likes making the Jailbreak community pissed off.

Apple has said and I quote "Jailbreaking is a term that is used when your iPhone firmware has been edited to allow for tweaks and moderations to the look of your iPhone, it is in no way illegal but it just voids your warrenty." That is how the Genius Bar put it to me.

They also said that if you can get rid of the jailbroken features via SSH you have a 1/5 chance in getting through the BehaviorScan.

11. halcyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I need to ask any prospective seller to make sure the firmware version is 3.1.2 or lower, and that the modem firmware (baseband) is 5.11.07 or lower?

If I satisfy these two, I'm in the clear with an iPhone that can be made to work on Cincinnati Bell? A lot of sellers have 'unlocked' iphones running 3.1.3. Are they full of it?!

Very helpful so far guys- thanks!

12. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

They are not necessarily full of it. I believe you can upgrade the OS version without updating the baseband if you are paying attention. Just ask them what the baseband version is to be safe.

13. halcyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so the only TRULY CRUCIAL thing is that the Baseband or "Modem Firmware" is 5.11.07 or lower?

14. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

This link will tell you:

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. That's all that matters when it comes to unlocking.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

So the 2G will NOT be getting the 4.0 firmware upgrade? Has there been a reason why for this if true? Apples way of screwing people into buying a new phone and spending more money?

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, they dont want to support a 4 year old device.

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

There are still plenty out there being used and times arent real good to be wanting people to shell out for a new phone if they dont need one. Those greedy bastards will sell plenty to Verizon customers.
    Screw Apple and them charging to upgrade your iPod firmware too.

19. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Gad, I feel your pain. I just went through all this to get a used iPhone and there is indeed a tonne of stuff you have to consider. I am on Cincinnati Bell, too.

One pungent fact I was given by one of the CinBell buddies I have is that you want to try to get a T-Mobile compatible phone (not an AT&T compatible). That enables you to use to the phone to the max where the AT&T will work but more slowly.

So, that is another thing to look for when you are on e-Bay. Make up one of the "my searches" with T-Mobile in the search words. Good luck.

Also, ask the seller if they backed up the SHSH when they jailbroke it. If they didn't, you won't be able to go back to the previous version if anything goes wrong.

Also, all the other stuff which was said (about what kind of firmware was used). You want to put that in your search, too. So you are going to end up narrowing down the field considerably in your quest and that might make your phone a bit more expensive.

20. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

4 years is a long time to be supporting a phone.

i think apple is doing a great job of supporting their phones with updates.

most phone manufacturers don't consistently update/support their models past one year, if that.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, most cellphones never usually get any updates at all.
    You just buy it the way it is and thats it.
    4 Years is plenty for a cellphone IMO.

22. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Well, Blackberry comes up with updates, but they don't do much. So if you never have any, it doesn't matter and you never notice.

23. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

You can always buy a phone made in Hong Kong that comes unlocked.

24. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

true, but not all blackberries get the updates. even the relatively new ones (< 1 year) get maybe one or two OS updates. also you need to wait for the carriers to accept the update before rolling it out to their users.

but you can always resort to the unofficial BB OS builds that can be flashed onto unsupported/not yet supported devices.

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Guess ill just stick to my 3.1.2 till somebody hacks the 4.0 to use with the 2G like they did MMS when we werent supposed to get it. If not, my phone does plenty till the day i need to upgrade. But i have to be able unlock it to do that so when the 3GS can be unlocked, i may be interested down the road.