So who bought the iPhone 3G Dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tangledweb16, Aug 30, 2008.

?

Did you buy the iPhone 3G Dock?

1. Hell yeah! Can't live without the dock...

49 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. No, waste of money.

49 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. I just modified my first gens dock, thank you very much.

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I know I did.

If you're like me and owned the first generation iPhone, you know what I mean. You need a dock after using one for so long with the original.

So who bought one?

2. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

How? Just curious.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I passed by Original iPhone and DOck down to my wife, when I got my 3G. I like to use the Dock, so my iPhone doesn't slide around when I plug it in at night.

I don't use it connected to my computer, just connected to a USB adapter. It makes for a much more finished setup. It keeps the cable from dropping off the table also.

I hope they come out with a new dual iPhone/Bluetooth dock for the 3G. I ended up getting another Bluetooth headset for my new phone - before they removed the dock. It took some serious "grinding" in order to enlarge the dock opening to fit the 3G phone. It will do though, until I can get a new combo dock... assuming they come out with one...

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

7. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i had a griffin elan form case which let me dock so my dad gave me his dock which he just wanted? lol

but the elan form scratched the back like a couple times cuz it has no rubber inside which SUCKS

so i got the griffin wave, cant dock anymore but definitely an awesome case. on the Apple stores site, its been rated 4.5/5 stars :D

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I was stuck in the Apple Store for eight and a half hours while O2 were messing about, so got some freebies to reward my patience.

9. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

10. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I can't click non of the above cause i do neither :) I use my two old iPod 3rd Generation docks, works fine. One near my computer, the other near my nightstand. thanks to buying those old iPods (which included the docks) in 03-04 :)

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Dang. I got on line in NYC at 10am on 7/11 and didn't leave with a phone until 6pm. All I got was a bottle of warm water, a creaky lower back, and a grumpy girlfriend who said I didn't need a new phone.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

13. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Do you still have your original 3G? Before you tried to jailbreak it of course?

14. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I wanted it but it was over 50 bucks. Too much for the phone to just stand up IMO. That little thing to plug in the wall and charge it that came with 3g is 30. That is outrageous.

15. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Bought one, been too lazy to take it out of the box. :D

Might sell it, who knows... :apple:

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I queued outside the store for less than 10 minutes. All the trouble came when all of the O2, Carphone Warehouse and Apple stores in the UK tried to log on to the O2 server at the same time. The phone stores had a back up plan but Apple didn't, hence the long wait.

It wasn't too bad in the end, I got £50 of free stuff and had plenty of snacks and drinks supplied and an iMac to use while I waited.

17. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I am now on #3. #1 had crackly audio. #2 had a 3G speed problem and a light leak. So far #3 is ok-ish. I'm not jailbreaking again until 2.1 is out and jailbreakable. Hopefully by then Taskbar Notifier will be out.

18. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Cool, I am still on #1. But, it seems buggy compared to 1st Gen. A 3G dock is coming soon.

19. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Well I've always said the Brits know how to do things right. Except cook of course. :)

O.T.

My GF and I are addicted to UK TV. This year we've managed to watch every episode of:

Spaced
    Life On Mars
    Ashes To Ashes
    Peep Show
    and Black Books

and several episodes of:
    Look Around You
    Danger: 10,000 Volts
    Man Stroke Woman
    Big Train
    and Hyperdrive

We're trying to get into Only Fools and Horses, but starting with the 1st episode, it's a little dated.

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

This is pretty funny, I got mine free, too...

Since my first iPhone 3G had horrible build quality, I got it replaced in-store two minutes after I got it. I got the 3G dock and the person who was going to ring us up was the same person that we told about the shoddy iPhone 3G. Long story short, two hours later, and about five minutes from the Apple Store, I realized that they never rang up the 3G dock and that it was still in the bad It's not a big deal, Apple should've included it, anyway, and $30 is a rip-off. I did intend to pay for it, but when I wanted to pay for it, I never got a chance, and then a long wait made me forget I had it.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I was in the store today looking at them...but I really don't need it.

22. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I bought one and like having it a lot. The only problem I've found is I've noticed scratches on my lower chrome bezel now.. I don't have ANY scratches anywhere else only here, and they've came AFTER I've purchased the dock. Anyone else experience this?

23. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

My years-old iPod Photo (4th gen) dock works great with my new iPhone 3G--it syncs, charges, holds the phone at a nice angle for viewing/usage, AND it does great with speakerphone calls.

The opening is bigger than the phone, which means it's not totally rigid, but that gap lets sound in/out, and means the dock won't rub on the phone.

I also like that the old docks were bigger and heavier--less tippy.

And I think I can use the audio-out (but not s-video) out. Haven't tested yet.

I like having a dock, but I certainly wouldn't bother buying a new one! :)

24. bluedevils macrumors member

I bought one. Easier to see it and I'm lazy. Using the dock is an easy one hand operation when coming and going from home.

25. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

no need for one, if I had a desk I would use one but i just lay my phone next to me on the bed