Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Happy or not?

• Totally satisfied with the old MBP.

Votes: 171 70.7%
  • Going to get or owning the new one.

Votes: 53 21.9%
  • Would upgrade, cannot afford.

Votes: 18 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
This thread should be re-Titled "A Rant of Pre-Late '08 MBP Owners Trying to Convince Themselves That They Don't Want A Better Laptop"

I admit that everyone is simply stating their opinion which everyone has a right to. But it's clear that everyone is simply taking the handful of shortcomings of the new MBP's and blowing them out of proportion and intentionally forgetting to mention the new MBP's superiorities. I understand how much it flat out sucks that Apple has refreshed this line about every 7 months and that you can never truly stay ahead of the curve for long, but I have yet to hear someone admit that in terms of GPU power, clock speed and RAM capabilities the new MBP is superior albeit at a hefty cost especially when lined up side by side with the previous MBP release which are still available on the "Clearance" and "Refurb" sections of the Apple Store.

Don't get me wrong, if I owned the previous version of this line I too could not justify purchasing the newest version however I would still recognize where it surpasses my system instead of simply listing a bunch of less pertinent reasons as to why your old MBP is better. I make this statement with the following in mind, and if you disagree then in my opinion you have your computer spec priorities a bit mixed up:

Computer Hardware Importance:
GPU/CPU Clock Speed/RAM Capabilities>Firewire400/DVI Ommissions/Glossy Screen

*Plus, all of those "issues can be remedied if truly need be with some sort of add-on - admittedly at an extra expense which does suck.

Don't get me wrong! I own a 1st Gen iPhone 8GB, so when 3G came out I indeed was envious of the improvements yet had and still have no desire to upgrade. Of course there are many things about my phone I like better (Or maybe I've convinced myself that I like them better so I don't have to shell out another $299 and sign another contract), but when engaged in that conversation I will always admit that the 3G has some superiority to mine.

Bottom line, give credit where credit is due, there should be no shame in admitting that it isn't financially feasible for most people to upgrade their laptops every 6.6 months (the average time for the MBP line to get a refresh per MacRumors' "Buyer's Guide"). Luckily you purchased an Apple product and they are meant to outlast practically every other Laptop on the market with similar specifications. All I ask is for people to be fair in their complaints.

I can afford a new one, so why don't I get one from what I currently have?

Not worth it perhaps?

Positives are: Better GPU, better CPU (Albeit at a bigger cost than the 2.6 was from the 2.5...), changeable HD
Negatives are: Costs more, have to buy a DVI adapter, Glossy screen, looks worse

Neutral points: Size/weight/keyboard

Oh and I have a 2G iPhone as well :)

When this lot gets updated with Nahlem next year I'll have a look at upgrading again, but for now my money stays firmly in my pocket...

rpp3po

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Germany
I would be if it wasn't for the 8600 issue.

It's not a criminal offense to lie to your customers. We don't know if Nvidia lied to Apple about this issue or just took the blame as "customer service".

We do know that Nvidia has published in its SEC statement, that the problem had been solved by replacing the failing material for current (third quarter 2008) production. Lying to the SEC is a crime, that can get you in prison. So this should be believable.

So if you have bought a MBP in January 2008, you're eligible for replacement of faulty GPUs until January 2010. It's very unlikely, that you wouldn't get a healthy 8600m GT until then.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
London
Thank you for clarifying. Intel is not only longer in business, since the good old days of their praised 440BX chipset nobody would question that they continuously delivered excellent parts. I used to built computers and there have been alternatives for a long time from Via, SIS, Nvidia, AMD, ... You always had the least trouble when going all Intel.

Not all of this experience does apply to notebooks. There are no interrupt or DMA issues for USB peripherals (about the only way to extend the MB). So writing drivers is much less error prone. For anything else (internal) Apple provides its own drivers, which should be fine. Extending the MBP via Express Card could be an issue, though. Overall Nvidia's track record with chipsets isn't all that good. Sad enough that my all Intel MBP has a potentially faulty Nvidia GPU, but (thank god) it is covered by an extended warranty now.

I agree I've still got an old 2.4ghz P4 running on i875 that's still as stable as a rock, I think this might still be running in 15 years, my old Slot A Athlon 700Mhz still works as well although the motherboards a bit flaky (VIA)

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
London
Well I must say that I don't mind the new design because Apple made their notebook design look too simple (the previous MBP) that to make improvements without getting people flaming them is pretty hard.

But hey, they got a mixed reaction this time. I wonder what will happen if they just made little adjustments? Like maybe thinner display or something like that? Then people will say Apple had lost its touch because the new design resembles the old one or "Oh, the new MBP, yea it has a slight redesign but the overall look still looks like the old MBP, really boring". That's why sometime when you create a product so close to perfection in terms of design, its hard to make improvements. But it still comes down to this, Innovate or DIE! :cool:

So like I said, the new design has it cons and I don't think chiclet keyboard sucks. But hey, even the old design has its cons. In fact everything around us has its own pro and cons so cheer up :rolleyes:

The problem is the new design is great for the mac books - ties in with imac and appeals to the bling bling masses. But is rubbish for the 'pro'.

The work I present to the client is the most important thing on my laptop screen not glossy reflections and a horrible black border that will look ***** displaying subtle designs. I want extremely tasteful, understated, functional design for a presentation tool especially with a thin neutral surround to the images on it.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
London
This thread should be re-Titled "A Rant of Pre-Late '08 MBP Owners Trying to Convince Themselves That They Don't Want A Better Laptop"

I admit that everyone is simply stating their opinion which everyone has a right to. But it's clear that everyone is simply taking the handful of shortcomings of the new MBP's and blowing them out of proportion and intentionally forgetting to mention the new MBP's superiorities. I understand how much it flat out sucks that Apple has refreshed this line about every 7 months and that you can never truly stay ahead of the curve for long, but I have yet to hear someone admit that in terms of GPU power, clock speed and RAM capabilities the new MBP is superior albeit at a hefty cost especially when lined up side by side with the previous MBP release which are still available on the "Clearance" and "Refurb" sections of the Apple Store.

Don't get me wrong, if I owned the previous version of this line I too could not justify purchasing the newest version however I would still recognize where it surpasses my system instead of simply listing a bunch of less pertinent reasons as to why your old MBP is better. I make this statement with the following in mind, and if you disagree then in my opinion you have your computer spec priorities a bit mixed up:

Computer Hardware Importance:
GPU/CPU Clock Speed/RAM Capabilities>Firewire400/DVI Ommissions/Glossy Screen

*Plus, all of those "issues can be remedied if truly need be with some sort of add-on - admittedly at an extra expense which does suck.

Don't get me wrong! I own a 1st Gen iPhone 8GB, so when 3G came out I indeed was envious of the improvements yet had and still have no desire to upgrade. Of course there are many things about my phone I like better (Or maybe I've convinced myself that I like them better so I don't have to shell out another $299 and sign another contract), but when engaged in that conversation I will always admit that the 3G has some superiority to mine.

Bottom line, give credit where credit is due, there should be no shame in admitting that it isn't financially feasible for most people to upgrade their laptops every 6.6 months (the average time for the MBP line to get a refresh per MacRumors' "Buyer's Guide"). Luckily you purchased an Apple product and they are meant to outlast practically every other Laptop on the market with similar specifications. All I ask is for people to be fair in their complaints.

Valid points problem is you forgot to mention the uglyness factor...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I give this new design 2 years max. The last time Apple had a laptop with black keys it was superseded by a new case design in two years (Titanium PowerBook: 2001-2003).

The cheap looking keyboard and tawdry black bezel will turn out to have been a flash in the pan.

So my prediction is for a new case design by January of 2011. The current design won't enjoy the long life that the last one did.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I give this new design 2 years max. The last time Apple had a laptop with black keys it was superseded by a new case design in two years (Titanium PowerBook: 2001-2003).

The cheap looking keyboard and tawdry black bezel will turn out to have been a flash in the pan.

So my prediction is for a new case design by January of 2011. The current design won't enjoy the long life that the last one did.

Agreed. Look at the ever-changing Nano. Sooner or later, they're going to tacitly admit the MB/P design was an ugly one by changing it to something resembling the pre-10/08 scheme.

Atomic Ed

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007

Actually I think this new design, due to its severe ugliness and apparent majority lack of acceptance, has the potential for being phased out on next refresh. I'm not saying for sure but if it flops as bad as it already looks like it is going to, it is definitely possible that Apple will move quick to rectify the mistake and protect sales numbers. As I said before time will tell the tale for sure but I would be surprised if this travesty lasts even a year.

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Actually I think this new design, due to its severe ugliness and apparent majority lack of acceptance, has the potential for being phased out on next refresh. I'm not saying for sure but if it flops as bad as it already looks like it is going to, it is definitely possible that Apple will move quick to rectify the mistake and protect sales numbers. As I said before time will tell the tale for sure but I would be surprised if this travesty lasts even a year.

I think it's gone on the next refresh. MBP and MB are too similar.

Winglet

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
Upstate, NY
Benefits of the old one (which I prefer):

1) Matte backlit LED screen

2) The older one has a DVI port and two Firewire ports.

3) I prefer the understated, refined aesthetic to the new cross between Sharper Image and Fisher Price.

4) The older one has a nicer keyboard.

5) The older one has a smaller footprint (by a 1/2" in each direction).

6) The older one weighs less.

7) The newer ones will accumulate dust behind the glass of the screen (some right out of the box already have dust in there).

8) The older one has a smaller bezel, so it can nestle up more closely to my external display.

9) The older one has USB ports located conveniently on both sides.

This says it all! My 11 month old SR rocks!

I have played with the new ones and I don't like the keyboard or the display.
The unibody is nice and the trackpad is nice, but not nice enough to give up my matte display.

I felt like I was looking at myself in a mirror as I viewed darker screens. I can only imagine what that would be like outdoors

I hope Apple listens to it's customers and continues to modify designs accordingly.

Macbook Pro Classic! I like it!:)

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW

You guys are on crack if you think this design isn't going to last the next refresh. Apple is VERY happy with this and from what I hear sales have been great. If sales plummet then they'll change something. This is what they wanted, to have all their products line up w/ very similar appearances. I disagree w/ this streamlining for the Cinema displays, the MBP and the MacPro...but it does make sense for the Air, MB & iMac to all look very similar. Next up is the Air (maybe the Mini) and the rest of the Cinema Displays.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My favorite thing about the classic matte screen is how I have keyboard scuff marks on it. That's sooo much better than the new glass covered screens.

Actually I think this new design, due to its severe ugliness and apparent majority lack of acceptance, has the potential for being phased out on next refresh...
I'm willing to bet there are significantly more who are happy with the new design than people bitching about them.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
To me one basic problem, probably already stated, is that the Macbook line is very improved, but the Macbook Pro line is, to some folks reasoning (including mine,) actually a downgrade. It is a merging of the two previously distinct lines of laptops into one. I can see little reason for someone to spend all the extra cash for a MBP over a MB just for a higher screen resolution and a single FW port. Even the high-end MB has the backlit keyboard. That's about as high as I'd recommend anyone going. Macbooks will definitely cannibalize MBP sales, because to any casual passerby, they're the same laptop.

I think in the "status" arena of the world, the previous MBP version will remain a classic, and stand out as the "high end" model, so why on earth would anyone who cares about that status benefit even consider spending the money on a new MBP when he'll be seen to be using a MB. And if a buyer is looking for the performance end of things, there's not that much of an improvement, unless you're ripping video into H.264, so I predict the Macbooks will sell like hotcakes, and the ratio of MBP sales to MB sales will decrease significantly. Which won't be all that great news to Apple.

I can't say my "last" generation MBP is perfect, but it's fairly close. If I could user replace the HD easily and had the option of an improved GPU, I'd be good to go for a few years. I don't need the "carved from a solid block of aluminum" frame, but if they could do it without the chicklets and glass screen, it would be a nice improvement - but really not necessary for the laptop to do what it needs to do. My MBP is pretty solid, does its job, and I've never had the feeling that it would break under heavy handling. So... I'd forgo the manufacturing techniques to keep the discontinued features (matte screen, better keyboard, lighter weight, thin bezel around display, sleek, stylish coordinated look when open...)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
To me one basic problem, probably already stated, is that the Macbook line is very improved, but the Macbook Pro line is, to some folks reasoning (including mine,) actually a downgrade. It is a merging of the two previously distinct lines of laptops into one. I can see little reason for someone to spend all the extra cash for a MBP over a MB just for a higher screen resolution and a single FW port. Even the high-end MB has the backlit keyboard. That's about as high as I'd recommend anyone going. Macbooks will definitely cannibalize MBP sales, because to any casual passerby, they're the same laptop.

I think in the "status" arena of the world, the previous MBP version will remain a classic, and stand out as the "high end" model, so why on earth would anyone who cares about that status benefit even consider spending the money on a new MBP when he'll be seen to be using a MB. And if a buyer is looking for the performance end of things, there's not that much of an improvement, unless you're ripping video into H.264, so I predict the Macbooks will sell like hotcakes, and the ratio of MBP sales to MB sales will decrease significantly. Which won't be all that great news to Apple.

I can't say my "last" generation MBP is perfect, but it's fairly close. If I could user replace the HD easily and had the option of an improved GPU, I'd be good to go for a few years. I don't need the "carved from a solid block of aluminum" frame, but if they could do it without the chicklets and glass screen, it would be a nice improvement - but really not necessary for the laptop to do what it needs to do. My MBP is pretty solid, does its job, and I've never had the feeling that it would break under heavy handling. So... I'd forgo the manufacturing techniques to keep the discontinued features (matte screen, better keyboard, lighter weight, thin bezel around display, sleek, stylish coordinated look when open...)

This is one of the most rational and articulate posts I've read in a long time. I couldn't agree more.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Got my new laptop today!

Got my brand new Macbook Pro today! That's right, a previous generation
15" 2.5GHz Core Duo for $1k less than it was a week ago and only $150 more than the reburbs. Sorry Apple but you've taken the "Pro" out Macbook Pro. I'm hoping you remedy that in the next iteration so I can buy a new, new one and not an old new one next time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I am totally satisfied, but that doesn't have anything to do with where or not I would buy a new computer.

virtuatony

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm not happy with the old one because it takes like 45 minutes of work to get the hard drive and I like to leave work at work with windows. Also the hissing noise from the analog audio output was a downer. I haven't gotten mine so I'm not sure if I'm going to like the glossy or not but I use my laptop at home mostly and never outside so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I do like the new keyboards at least the ones on the old macbook and the kind that come with the mac pro, probably same thing.

To be honest I am disappointed there is no blu-ray, and the resolution could have really been bumped up by now. Also I wonder why if they're going to use such glossy screens why they can't put some sort of anti-glare coating on the glass.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Also I wonder why if they're going to use such glossy screens why they can't put some sort of anti-glare coating on the glass.

The most logical explanation I've heard is that diffracting the light to minimize glare offsets the gains in color saturation and contrast that the glass provides. Also, simple people like shiny things.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
the design of the old one is nearly perfect but i have never been happy with: the latch system on the closure and have always wanted for magnetic even like the old macbooks.

i also would like a better screen but i think that is not happening.

i would also like the new touchpad but i think that that too will never happen

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I too, could not be happier with my C2D macbook pro. Pretty soon I plan on retiring it for a Dell, and then it can sit in my room, for when I need to impress clients or... or just for when I need to impress :p

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Glad to hear people are happy with the old ones.
I´m planning to buy a MBP, I was eagerly awaiting the update.
My problem is that I really need both 400 & 800 and paying more for a MBP that dosen´t have it is very difficult to do.
At the same time I find it hard to upgrade to last generation MBP when I finally will buy one.
Looks like I have to though. Decisions, decisions

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
I'm happy with the MBP I bought six months ago. Enough so that I haven't even bothered looking at the specs for the new ones. I just don't care. I've also found that the older I get, the less I care about having to get the next big thing. Even when I'm working the MBP sits here looking bored and rarely gets warm. Good luck next time around, Dear Leader, you won't be getting another two grand out of me this year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.