So, who has fallen asleep on their iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DynaFXD, Apr 13, 2011.

1. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I go upstairs last night and see a ghostly glow coming from under the bed covers. Sure enough, my wife fell asleep on the iPad v1. It got me to thinking that must be a real common event. So much so that I bet Apple has that situation sussed out in their testing labs.:p Heck, it is marketed as a book reader ... people fall asleep reading their books each night, it should be considered a definite possibility in product development. If someone ended up lacerating themselves on cracked glass you know Apple would likely hear about it (one way or the other).

How's about it?

2. Silent Assassin macrumors member

Every night!

---
    Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

If you have a soft mattress I don't think you'll break an iPad screen by laying on it because there probably isn't much force being applied directly to the iPad.

5. ravenas macrumors regular

What happens if you drool on it?:eek:

Actually my iPad goes to bed with me most nights. But I have the auto-lock feature set so when I fall asleep it shuts off. I always make sure there is ample space for it to fall safely out of hands under the covers.

I make sure I don't lay it on the outside of the bed. I have a fear of dropping it on the floor as I doze off. I cracked a few PocketPCs and TV remotes that way.

6. ani23 macrumors 6502

I used to do that with my iPhone but can't imagine with my iPad. It's always on the nightstand when I shut down.

7. JeepGC macrumors regular

I always watch Netflix on my iPad, used to fall asleep with my iPad 1. Although, since I purchased the iPad 2, I have started to put it on my nightstand before I fall asleep :cool:

8. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

my worst fear is sleeping with my iPad and knocking it off my bed.

9. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Every night with either the ipad or my kindle or both:D At least I make sure they are in the middle of the bed on a pillow :rolleyes:

10. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I've fallen asleep with my iPad on my chest but never ended up on top

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

You could always buy a large cushy shag carpet and put it on the floor so that there's a nice cushy zone around your bed for the iPad to fall onto.

That said, I have a twin bed that I don't fit on vertically and there really isn't a ton of room for an ipad on it anyway. i guess you guys must be huge fans of orientation lock, because I'd go insane putting the thing sideways and having it switch over to landscape or whatever. I guess.. you could hold it upside down XD

12. xraytech macrumors 68020

This thread reminds me of another thread where the OP claimed that the battery swelled and caused the back to warp and crack the screen down the middle. Tried to claim that it was a factory defect and wanted a free replacement. Pages and pages and pages of reponses later, it turns out that he rolled over it in his sleep. XD

Can't seem to find that old thread, probably has been archived.

13. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I've fallen asleep with the iPad on top of me, and nearly had a heart attack waking up to feel it sliding off about to fall:eek:

14. ravenas macrumors regular

Two things:

Invest in a queen-size bed. Twin beds are far too small for any adult. Especially one who frequently takes books or tablets to bed with them. (Oh dear, this subject can get risque, can't it?) Suffice to say you want to make sure your tablet ends up falling out of your hands into a nice cushy bed, not the floor. Even a fall to carpet can be disastrous if it happens to hit on the edge. Or worse, you forget and step on it on your way out of bed in the morning.

Orientation lock is my friend. I almost always use my iPad in landscape mode so it tends to stay locked. I prefer web browsing and reading books in landscape mode. Books especially are nice with two side-by-side pages. In fact I prefer reading books in this e-form to their paper alternatives because it is just so easy to turn pages. Prop the reader on a pillow or comforter, tab your finger and the page flips. I can easily read 100 pages doing that.

Reading ebooks in bed at night is one of the ways these LCD tablets shine over the e-ink Kindles. They come with their own booklight. BN's Nook app is especially nice. It has a theme called "nightlight" that switches to white text on black screen. So you don't get excessive glare from the screen. I find I always have to turn brightness way down on iBooks and Kindle apps.

And like I said, you can read or watch whatever you want, fall asleep and your tablet will shut itself off. Then when you wake up you can just flip it on and resume, or check your e-mail and the morning headlines.

I guess if you are a restless sleeper it's not advisable to try this. You wouldn't want to kick the iPad out of bed. Mine tends to stay where I put it at night.

Um, I guess those sharing beds would also want to think twice. Imagine the service calls on those mishaps: "Um sir, exactly how did you crack your screen in so many places?" "Well my wife and I...:eek:"

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

16. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If you dont fall asleep on your iPad, you are lame! :D

17. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

King size is the best bed size. It's better to have extra room for when you have a guest or a wife. There will also be enough bed for your iPad.

18. DynaFXD thread starter macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

HAH! ;)
    I personally have not fallen asleep on mine (v.2), but it will happen. My bigger worry is when the kids come crawling in at night or when the dog is doing his mid-night Olympic training laps across the bed. But as someone else mentioned, there is give in the mattress, so I am not too terribly concerned.
    On a similar note, I don't leave my iPad on the night stand anymore. The cats love to sit on them or to knock them off (house sounds like a jungle:p). So anymore I leave them leaning up against the night stand on the floor.

19. iPhisch macrumors 6502

my wife does every night she goes to read in bed. I wait for her to fall asleep, then i sneak in and steal it back :)

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Only problem is my room is Queen sized. :D

21. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

This happened to me last week, I was using my iPad and then the next thing I remember was waking up 6 hours later on top of the iPad, (I was drunk though).

22. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I've fallen asleep while playing Xbox.. Is it me or does playing Oblivion secretly induce sleep?

23. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Many times, my wife`s always falling asleep on top of hers.
    No damage so far.
    The worst part is dozing off and having a 10" glass panel hit you in the face when it tips forwards :eek:
    Still less hassle and much less disaster potential than using my MBP like I used to...

24. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

25. iPhisch macrumors 6502

Ha! I just stole the iPad again! She didn't get very far tonight...
    I'm using my 2 now, surfing macrumors, watching Colbert use his 2 on his show right now.