All iPads So who returned the rMini for the Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PDFierro, Dec 13, 2013.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Seems like a lot of people are doing the opposite. But thanks to Apple's generous return policy, I took the opportunity to return my Retina mini for the Air today. Don't regret it one bit, I'm already enjoying the Air more.

I honestly ignored the Air at launch, and waited the few weeks to get the Mini. But after using the mini for a few weeks, I realized the Air would be better for me.

But you can't go wrong with either one.

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

i was in the same position and went with the mini after looking like a prat moving between the 2 in my local apple store about 50 times

i occasionally think the air would be more suitable for what i'm doing at the time but I'm sure the same would happen with the air in different situations

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I was planning on keeping them both, bought them both on launch. I returned the rMini today after almost 1 month. I opted to get a Dell Venue Pro 8 to see how the other side lives. I like toys, but could not justify two iPads and a Venue. So I had to choose, and chose the Air. I miss the portability but I'm in love with the bigger screen. It's a compromise.

4. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Haha what do you know I got a DV8 but the Android version as well today. Read my review if you like in the Alternatives OS section. I wanted both size tabs but prefered one being Android to match my phone. And the $370 difference between the rmini and DV8 might have been a slight factor as well :)

5. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm trying to see how the Air is less portable. Weight difference isn't that big anymore, and it's not like the Air is huge or anything. I guess the mini is easier to carry with you all day.

This is my first iPad, so I wasn't sure what my usage would be like when I got the mini last month. But I'm using the iPad far more than I thought I would, and my main purpose for it is reading lots of PDF documents. So the bigger screen comes in hand, but on the other hand the size of the mini was certainly good enough.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's what I found too. I love carrying the rMini around, but using the Air was better for me. I carried my Air today to the Apple Store to return the rMini, and it felt huge. After a few days I am sure I will get used to it and it will be fine.

7. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

The mini can fit into a sport's coat pocket or a purse. Of course if you don't wear a jacket of some sort and you don't carry a purse that's a moot point, but for those who do, the portability of the mini can rival that of a cell phone. And while the Air is small and light, the mini is smaller and ligher; I find it very natural to pull it out and hold it with one hand, perhaps reading something while I'm doing something with the other.

8. Misskitty macrumors 6502

You need to use a mini for a year and you will see the difference. I dont care what anyone says, the air is just not nearly as portable. You need a bag or purse (or a mans purse for males) to bring it with you.

Smaller more compact tabs are the hottest craze right now in the tablet world, its where the demand is and its because of this reason. I expect this gap to get even larger in the next couple years. People want to bring them with them. They dont want to lug 10" tabs around with them.

You may get used to the air over time, but trust me eventually you will get tired of lugging around a 10" tab and will opt for the 8" tab everytime you go out. Ive been down this road before, so I know. Unless you go to a friends place, or somewhere more stationary, then might be a different story.

9. quamsi macrumors regular

I didn't return the mini, as my original mini was stolen (sad, sad day). But when the retina mini came out I headed to BB with the intent to get a rMini. I stood there, oooh'd and aaah'd on the rMini, then played around with the Air. That's when the confusing nagging doubt came in. I never expected to be drawn to the Air. I left, still quite sure I was getting the rMini, but was going to wait another paycheck to get a larger storage capacity. A week later I went back and played with the two again and decided that I actually preferred the Air. The reduction in weight and dimensions bridged the previous gap and made so much more sense for my uses.

10. runormal macrumors newbie

runormal

I bought both an Air and a rMini on their respective launch days - the rMini was purchased in the middle of a return cycle with tinted Air screens - but I returned the rMini on the same day I bought it. Having used one of the black and white wallpapers on the Air I immediately noticed how the iTunes icon looked different color wise on the rMini than the Air.

I love my Air and I am really looking forward to the next version of the rMini whenever that gets released next year.

11. quamsi macrumors regular

Would you please stop assuming that everyone is *just like* you? Most people don't consider a whopping 4.8 oz to be a deal breaker when it comes to portability. Contrary to your opinion, you are not the authority.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I do think that the mini can be easier to pull out and use in certain situations. For instance, a crowded bar or cafe. That was one of the reasons I was convinces to keep the original mini for a year. However, after having the mini for a year, what I found was that the times when I wanted to pull out an iDevice in an non-stationary situation was not that frequent, and when that happened, an iPhone was sufficient. In the meanwhile, the Air is lighter than previous iPads, and larger screen makes it easier to read and accurately hit touch targets -- and I have both bad eyesight and muscular coordination problems. So for me, an Air fits much better than a mini. And despite the Air being bigger and heavier than the mini, I take it with me more than 90% of the time when I leave the house.

13. dljor macrumors regular

Why do you have to be right?

Just enjoy your mini...

I had a hard time deciding. But I think you are just sick....

14. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Yes, exactly. In non stationary situations, I use my iPhone which works exceedingly well. There's no need for an in between device with a screen that's not too small and not too big. If I'm using a tablet, I want the full experience.

I think to be honest this will continue to be the case for many people especially as phones get bigger and bigger screens.

15. JGWolven macrumors regular

I walk around with my iPad Air all day in the office, to lunch meetings, around the house - wherever I need it.. not once has it ever been a problem in terms of weight/portability, and I certainly didn't need a "man purse" either. And I wouldn't ever want to go for a smaller tablet either. At this point, I think you may just be trolling.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Because "she's done it, so she knows!" Haha

It seems that people assuming that they know what is best for everyone, and telling them so, is becoming more and more common around here. :rolleyes:

17. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I think it's great that there is a choice of size for this wonderful device. Pick the one that suits your needs or get both. I prefer the Air, but would be happy with a rMini if that's what I needed for portability.

18. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

U don't have a clue. You create threads daily that contradict a previous thread. U post to be the opposite from everyone else and have all attention pointed at u

----------

Go look at the threads she's created and troll would be a correct statement

19. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

it is not about the weoght. It is about the size. Even both iPad mini and iPad Air are somewhat not pocketbale, iPad mini is so much easier to carry around with iPad Air. You pretty much need to put iPad Air inside a bag, but you don't have to? My winter dresses have big pocket,so I can easily fit the iPad mini inside my pocket where iPad Air is impossible.

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

A lot will be going back or will end up with both.

I was in exact same spot u were. I had original mini and said I'd never have a big ipad again. Ignored ipad air at launch like u, and was excited to get an rMini. Used it for several weeks and really enjoyed the retina screen to where it left me wanting more screen. I didnt have that feeling with the 1st mini. I wasn't gonna give it up for a retina 4 gen Bc I loved the mini small size.

So the retina mini made me want an air if that makes sense. If a retina mini never came out I'd still be on my 1st gen ipad mini even after air was released. The wife completely agrees and we both have ipad airs now. The mini is great and super portable. But Im a guy that lives in Texas and rarely wear a coat so not like a mini fits in my jean pockets. So portability is not that much of a difference. My wife carries big purses so her air fits in most of them.

----------

Not everyone is the same tho. It's hot here in Texas and I rarely wear a coat. So a mini and an air gets transported the same way, in a bag or carried around like a little notebook. For ladies with purses it's a different story, but this isn't a one size fits all type deal

21. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

When did this thread just become an argument about the Air owners being wrong? Frankly, from what I can see, (as a whole) the rMini owners are the more vocal crowd, the Air owners are the ones that just kick back and enjoy their iPad.

Disclaimer: I own neither. :p

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's just a couple of folks, really, that think their choices are the best and anyone who chooses differently is wrong. Not really a crowd.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice, different strokes for different folks -both tablets are great but it all depends on what your individual needs are :) For me its the smaller form factor.

24. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Agree. especially with my commute, smaller is better. The Air was lovely, the builds I received were not.

I am happy with my choice and am glad others are happy with theirs.

25. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20