So who thinks apple watch 3 is out?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by esaelias, Jul 3, 2017.

1. esaelias macrumors regular

esaelias

reason i ask is i just ordered the apple watch 2 stainless steel black

and i want my moneys worth.

I think alongside the new iphones they will not release a apple watch 3 but just release os4 to complement the iphone

there have been no leaks or anything plus i dont think they deem to upgrade yet.

what do you guys think

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I now it's out and own 2 already. One is the new Plutonium Edition and it is beautiful. Apple likes to change the Edition model.

3. esaelias thread starter macrumors regular

esaelias

i said apple watch 3

4. Teknikarin macrumors newbie

Teknikarin

From MacRumors "Buyer's Guide":

Apple Watch Series 2 launched on September 16, 2016 with GPS, 50-meter water resistance with swimming support, a brighter display, and a faster processor. New band options debuted on March 21, 2017, but a more substantial upgrade isn't expected until the fall.

For 2017, Apple is rumored to be working on a third-generation Apple Watch that could debut towards the end of the year, likely alongside the much-rumored "iPhone 8." At this point in time, we're hearing mixed rumors about the upcoming device, but more information should become available as the launch date approaches.

So I will wait to see if Apple is coming with the Apple Watch 3.

5. fifiandfootsie macrumors newbie

fifiandfootsie

apple watch 3 isnt out
    their still working on it

6. esaelias thread starter macrumors regular

esaelias

7. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Apple released watch os4 beta so it'll be ready in time for the 3rd apple watch in September. Same reason they released iOS 11 beta. There will be a new watch soon.

8. wba1990 macrumors regular

wba1990

In the UK the Nike+ watch has been getting a bit of a knockdown in price recently (as much as £70) I do wonder if it's because either the Nike+ isn't as popular as they thought, or if it's due to a possible S3 coming out this year

9. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Actually, in fairness, before the Series 1/Series 2 launched last September, there were very few leaks at all confirming what new features would be on the Series 1/2.

Just because you don't see any leaks, doesn't mean that Apple won't release a new Watch come September. The Apple Watch doesn't have the notoriety for part leaks that the iPhone or iPad does.

10. Christoffer Nguyen macrumors newbie

Christoffer Nguyen

Apple Watch Series 3 will probably release in September with the new iPhone Edition/8, I would return it if I were you and wait to September for the next generation. Series 2 will very likely be cheaper too.

11. macintoshmac, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Don't say that. OP just bought a Series 2 and doesn't want the 3 to launch this year, from what I gathered from his posts.

12. Christoffer Nguyen macrumors newbie

Christoffer Nguyen

He asked us and I gave him my honest opinion. There has been a few leaks and it will probably be released in September. If the OP wants to keep it, keep it!

13. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I seriously doubt a new watch will be out this fall... The watch is not a yearly upgrade product like the iPhone... Apple just doesn't make enough money on it to justify a yearly upgrade cycle.

On top of that, any clear additional technology that might be included in a new watch is not ready for prime time... LTE requires better battery, microLED is still a year out for production. There's no clear "upgrade" to the apple watch that would justify a new release. In addition, Apple wants to sell Apple Home at around the same price point for the holidays. Doubt they would debut these two products at the same time.

Lastly, I would be very surprised if there's a new watch until at least a year from now.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Actually, there hasn't been any 'Leaks.' There's only been a few predictions. The only predictions was LTE and a different touch display would possibly be used for the Series 3 Apple Watch. But as others have said, I don't forsee a Series 3 Apple Watch launching in September. The Apple Watch isn't meant to be an annual updated piece of hardware. It's likely on an 18 month cycle. My prediction is March 2018 between June 2018 for the next hardware release.

15. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I'd be shocked, look at all they released in June at the dev conf. They've been busy. I think Apple is ok for now with the S1 and S2. Is it needed, yes, it was needed last year. the S1 and S2 didn't offer much really new.
    Will S3 come this year? I am doubting it.
    I'm more ready for Pencil 2 and Airpod 2 with soft earbuds.

16. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Of course you gave an honest opinion. But I suspect he was only looking for people confirming that watch 3 is neither out nor will be, this year. Hence my remark.

Further, I don't know how in the name of heavens it happened, but I wanted to quote another post and yours got quoted somehow. I have corrected my post to reflect it. :)

17. esaelias thread starter macrumors regular

esaelias

sorry for the confusion

that is what i meant i do not think the apple watch is out this year and i will be glad there is currently no need for it... i spoke to apple employees while buying my mac yesterday and they said we dont think it will be releasing either

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I would agree with those employee's. The Apple Watch doesn't need to supersede itself with an annual release every year. It's an accessory to the iPhone, not a stand alone product like the iPad or MacBook. Series 2 offers plenty of power and capabilities until we see a new version, which in all likeliness will be somewhere around March 2018 until June 2018.

19. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The only thing notable I heard of was including LTE. If that's very important to you, then I'd wait.

20. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

I'd wait for LTE. That would be really good. Probably help with the Watch being more standalone than it is today.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I know LTE is regularly requested on the Apple Watch forum and it would be a huge selling point. My opinion is I don't see LTE being mainstream at this point by the next Apple Watch. Samsung is really the only other smart watch manufacturer that has implemented LTE. It has its advantages, but I think Apple is more health oriented at this point with the Watch then creating a separation from the iPhone.

It Very well could be implemented by the next watch, but I get the notion that this is not Apple's goal or a key feature they want to include. And we all know how Apple does things completely different.

22. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

True that. LTE Watch is not probably a priority. If they bring out a couple more sensors, or even one, that would be much better than LTE, of course, any day. Maybe with the next iteration it will become a very much more potent health companion than it is today. :)

23. Dave245 macrumors 603

I think we will see Apple Watch 3 in September, other than the iPhone what else could Apple announce at their September keynote? They updated most products at WWDC, we saw:

New iPads
    New Mac's including iMacs

I'm betting the September event we will see new iPhones perhaps a new Apple TV and a new Apple Watch series 3.

24. Christoffer Nguyen macrumors newbie

Christoffer Nguyen

I need LTE on a smart watch, especially when I'm running outside without my phone. I hope that the predictions are correct, and that the next generation will be released in September.

25. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

You'll get your money's worth if:

1. You purchase an Apple Watch at all
    2. You purchase an Apple Watch and keep it for as long as possible before upgrading

For (1.), just the fact that you thought it'd be beneficial to spend money on an AW means that you think it's worth it. That's the simple explanation.

For (2.), if you ignore the "gotta have the latest and freshest gadget all the time" mindset that some people have, and you settle down with your series 2, you'll get a LOT of wrist time with it. You can keep using it until the battery needs replacement (which is always cheaper than buying a whole new watch) or until it's no longer supported by the OS.

I'm expecting my first-gen to last long enough that I won't even need to consider an upgrade until the Series 4 or 5 come out. It's a much simpler device than an iPhone or iPad, mostly because hardware changes aren't dictated by outside influences (like LTE standards or camera improvements).