Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
For some reason I get one and then end up returning it. I guess the bulkiness bothers me after awhile. I just got a mophie apple edition today going to see how long I can keep it.

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
Moi. Having bad luck with them though :/ I got the white Mophie air to go with my white 4S, cos I just couldn't deal with the bad battery (waiting on a fix from Apple in the next few weeks before I try swapping phones). The first one chipped like a mofo - just putting it on and taking it off once I had several bad chips on the front inside lip - it's like everytime I put the case on, it scraped more white paint off, and it was black underneath. I tried to just keep the case on, but a week later I needed to take it off, and again, major chippage. It was starting to look like crap, which is unacceptable - my bf's employee has had one for ages and it doesnt look like that, so I returned it yesterday.

Now the new one, the bottom part won't click in securely - if I merely bump it or hold it wrong it'll slide off. *sigh* back to the Apple store...

The battery power itself tho is great, from ten percent left on my phone, when I turn on my Mophie, even with some usage I can get up to 85-90%. Good enough for me.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
No way, phone is bulky enough I don't even use a non-battery case (Go naked!)

But, I do have ProClip charging cradles in both cars, whenever I'm in the car the phone goes in the cradle. So battery life is not an issue.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I just bought one. but I will only use it when I need it so most of the time it won't be on the phone. don't care if it looks bad. better then my good one with a separate cord that is always coming out.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Since mine will be a work phone I am considering one of these when I get my iPhone. Not sure if it will be a phonesuit or mophie or one of the others yet.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I just received my Mophie Juice Pack Plus this morning.

Going to use it for a few days. Give it a few charge cycles. Once I've done so I'll be keeping it for when I'm out at weekends or travelling. Don't need it for normal daily use.

Anyone have any idea if leaving it off for a period of time without charging it could damage the health of the battery?

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
I am thinking of getting one, especially for when I go into the field for an FTX and we don't come in for a couple days. Would be nice to have my phone last.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
For some reason I get one and then end up returning it. I guess the bulkiness bothers me after awhile. I just got a mophie apple edition today going to see how long I can keep it.

I could see it for special use, but it would be a deal breaker for everyday use for me.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Phonesuit elite and exogear exolife have me more intrigued than the mophie, honestly.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
I am torn between the mophie juice pack plus and the phonesuit elite. Don't want it as an everyday case but as a backup.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
A friend showed my his JuicePack Air (the red one) and I ended up getting a white one to match my white IP4S. Was kinda disappointed that its a very slick back compared to the red and I'm assuming black that have a grip feel to them.

I do hate the bulkiness of them. I've only had it a week and I must not have plugged it in correctly Sunday night as it wasn't charged in the morning so I left it at home yesterday and ran naked (I used a white Speck CandyShell prior to the Mophie) and I have to say I absolutely loved the feel of the iPhone sans case. If Apple had a battery that lasted 2X as long as the current battery I'd pay 2X as much for the phone.

I don't use the phone much throughout the day - maybe read & send a total 20-30 emails, browse on Safari for less than 5 minutes, less than 10 sms, a couple of apps for maybe 5-10 minutes total that might use a little bit of data and I drop roughly 5-6% an hour. Unplugging my phone at 6:30 AM and not returning home til 7:00 PM and I'd be around 30%. On days where I do use it more than normal, it's almost dead by the time I get home. If I don't go straight home or on the rare occasion I do go to the gym after work then its even a bigger issue.

I have a Kensington battery pack that I used in the past when I'd go on vacation. I have a car charger that can be utilized that probably would solve my battery usage issue 99% of the time but I like to be ready for that 1%. I have a 4 day trip to Vegas coming up. Also, when I go to sporting events and there are 100,000 people using the cell towers in my area the battery drains even quicker when trying to send a text or jump on Facebook. I really feel like I need something for that 1% of the time. Having a Mophie just sitting around 99% of the time feels like a waste of money.

I have another week to make up my mind and return my Juice Pack if I decide to go it without that case.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
My mom has the White Mophie, and she loves it, she doesn't use her speck canyshell anymore, and she loves the fact that she rarely has to find a charger. Plus its nice for me, if my battery ever dies i can borrow it... except the last time i tried, and as soon as i put it on the external battery was dead! LOL.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Why don't you guys just use the mophie juice pack?

Instead of a case, use the juice pack, I do, it's great. It will provide at least two full charges for your 4s before having to charge it again. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005OW4BFE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/182-7352639-0023750

I have a small shoulder day bag I bought from REI that I carry my phone cases, pouches , and juice pack in, & lasers in. Perfect accessory bag.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I've used phonesuit elite for months since 4 and so far it has served its purpose. I've noticed elite's battery drains faster on 4s, hence it became doubly important in my daily use. But due to its bulky exterior which is really a shame considering how pretty naked 4s looks, I'm in the process of transitioning to getting a bumper and a portable battery to boast 4s' sexy look and offset the lack of additional battery w/ an external one.

As for the phonesuit elite, I think it's a pretty decent one and does exactly what it advertises it will do. Truly doubles the battery life on 4 (haven't tested on 4s) and is relatively thin for a battery case.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Have used one for 2 years. (Mophie)

Love it.

Yeah its bulky but my phone survived my first ever drop onto concrete, it even bounced and still works. Gouged the case and cracked near the port. Still charges.

I don't feel that I have to handle it with kid gloves with the pack on. However I am still always amazed at how sexy it looks (phone4) when I take it out of the pack to clean the speaker ports and check the phone.

I like that the speaker on the phone sounds MUCH louder with the pack and I don't muffle the sound of it by holding it to text in portrait mode.

WW

Last edited:

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I had a uNu case, worked well, but couldn't stand the bulkiness after a few days. Gave it away to a relative, keeping phone naked.

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
I got the mophie juice pack plus since day of my 4s. Its awesome.At first It was really bulky. But after while I actaully prefer the overall feel and weight of the case, because it made the iPhone fit better in my hand and feel is much better than the ackward square shape of the iphone 4s. I got mine for $50, and that was worth the price.

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I got the mophie juice pack plus since day of my 4s. Its awesome.At first It was really bulky. But after while I actaully prefer the overall feel and weight of the case, because it made the iPhone fit better in my hand and feel is much better than the ackward square shape of the iphone 4s. I got mine for $50, and that was worth the price.

where did you find it for $50? I see some on ebay for that price, but I hear those are knock-offs....

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
Just thoughtbI'd add that one reason I bought the Mophie is my bf's employee dropped his Mophie-clad iPhone and DROVE OVER IT, and the phone still works fine. I wouldn't suggest doing that, but it's nice to know it's that tough!

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
where did you find it for $50? I see some on ebay for that price, but I hear those are knock-offs....

Amazon, but theyre sold out at that price. I was trying to get one for my brother too. If you're looking to buy an alternative, look up boostcase on Amazon. THat was my second option.

Btw for anyone trying to get a mophie juice pack, be ccareful about the case you are trying to buy because there are two versions of it. There's the older ATT version with the mute button in a different from the Verizon/4s verizion.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

When I used the 3G I used mophie

Now I can't stand any case. Naked!

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
Used the case for a full day and the bulk didn't bother me much this time and loving the extra juice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.