Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I'll probably be getting one, if my finances allow. Hoping for a tad larger screen as long as the footprint of the whole device stays the same.

I also hope for some improvement in the build quality. I don't mind the plastic shell as such, it feels great in my hand and I love how light the device is, but I didn't like how the "chrome" coating on the edge came off very easily in one spot when I knocked my phone (not that hard) against a hard surface.

As for specs, processor etc., I sure wouldn't mind some more juice if it meant the camera app opening faster, quicker auto-rotate (that doesn't hang!!) when I tip the phone to the horizontal position, stuff like that. But - I have a feeling that's more to do with TouchWiz.

Give me a brighter screen and a slightly thicker S-pen too, and you have a deal.

Who am I kidding though, I know I'll by buying the damned thing regardless of the above and my financial situation as well....lol. Dat new gadget fix..... :D

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I think you're right. The more I think about it, the build quality is fine.

I would take plastic over metal/aluminum as long as we still have the option to remove the battery and MicroSD card.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys need the 3gb ram and more powerful CPU for? I had a Note 2 for a while, it was just too big for my needs but I thought it was an awesome awesome device. It ran every single game I threw at it and I never saw a stutter or lag or low framerates in any graphic intensive game on it.

I'm just curious why everyone is so excited about the specs. Personally I'd like to see more aesthetic love than specs, smaller bezels, thinner design, get rid of the plastic, etc.

Its not 'what they need it for', its more a case of Samsung will give it because they can and it makes good spec sheets for spec sheet whores (enthusiasts) who are likely to be the actual audience for this kind of device more so than average joe soap.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Wonder if 4.3 will come on this same event?

----------

You don't think 5 inches is enough for a phone? Think anything much bigger is too big. That's why I have the galaxy note 8.0..which is what I want for an on the go tablet.
Five inches is excellent, however it is still smaller than my Note II which I can hold very easily. And while I have a 7" Nexus 7 and and the larger iPad mini, I'd like a 6" display so I have just one device to take with me when I don't feel like taking a backpack or laptop briefcase with me.

For work and personal I'm on the web a lot, so much like a laptop, the more screen area I have the better. What my S4 did was to simply reinforce how much progress Samsung and Android have made, and how terrific the next note will be.

That's one of the truly great features of Samsung is the various sizes they offer. There's something for everyone.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I am more interested in what Android 5.0 will bring to the table. I'm sure the Note 3 will be a monster but I don't expect it to be much different than the S4 in terms of features and design.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've got an upgrade ready to burn and the Note III is at the top of my list.

Only other device I'm considering right now is the next Nexus 5.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I agree with just about all you wrote. Just curious though, why do you and everyone else hate the plastic. I always see that on these forums and I don't understand it. My phone feels great in my hand. Is it the looks? Durability? Why does everyone hate the plastic? I'm honestly not talkin ****, I'm just curious what I'm missing out on. I had an iPhone and an iPhone 3g and I don't remember anything about how they felt, only about how they worked.

But, back on the Note II. I think this phone is the absolute best. I'm surprised more people dont have it. Its by far the best phone I've ever used. So much so that I can't really see what a Note III could bring to the table that would make me upgrade. I agree with your points especially about the speed an capabilities. I've never thought my phone was slow in any way.

If its just all the gimmicky crap in the S4 then I'll certainly be staying with the Note II. I don't need the phone to track my eyes and where I'm looking :)

Anyway, as a fan of technology, I'm looking forward to finding out what the phone has anyway!

I don't know, it's a really good question. It's kind of like why do I wear a Rolex when I know damn well that any $45 Casio will do the job just as well, with more features to boot. It's just something about a non plastic phone that I like, maybe the heft or perceived heft as an illusion, maybe the coldness, the hardness, something that subconsciously feels like quality even though I know the plastic samsung phones are very high quality, I'm not debating that point.

I have a feeling I will get flamed, but you know what I'm ok with sometimes spending my money on something that focuses on aesthetics just as much as function. This is probably the reason why the HTC One is doing so well, otherwise there isn't much different on it that other android high end phones.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I want to see if they'll use new materials. I don't hate plastic, but I'm just curious if the HTC One and all the negative feedback of Samsung's continued usage of what-feels-like cheap plastic has taken any effect yet.

I really hope the note 3 takes the same design of the s4 active. If that had come out first, i would have gotten it instead of the one.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
I am pretty satisfied with my Note II at this point. It does everything I need it to do and does it well.
But Here are a list of items I would love to see on the Note III.

1080p
13MP Camera
Snapdragon 800 or about 20% faster speeds
Better build quality
32GB starting size

If it comes close to those specs, I would buy it otherwise I would be hard pressed to hold onto my note II.

Not sure about your last item, but the rest are VERY likely describing the upcoming Note III.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Only 38 days until IFA 2013.

Samsung is presenting!

Two possibilities:

1) Galaxy Note III

2) Galaxy Tab SM-P900 12.2" Tablet.

Both are devices I'm quite excited about.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
really excited, i wanna see how the 1080p SAMOLED display will work, excited for the updated octa-core processor, the new s-pen goodies etc.
i am also excited about what the HTC one Max will offer.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I don't have much interest in the Note 3. I'm interested to see what it brings to the table for the market in general but I have little interest in the phone itself.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
the internals dont mean much to me, i wanna see what new s-pen features are they gonna offer and will the touchwiz also (it lags on s4) lag on the note 3

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm really pumped for the Note III, should be an amazing device. Will follow the same design progression as the S3 to S4, meaning; 0.2" larger screen, while overall not getting bigger...thinner...lighter...bigger battery...and same style as the S4, with the black and white colors, and build style.

Plus with the Note 3 rumored to have the Snapdragon 800...3G RAM...4,000mAh battery...5.7" 1080p screen...Will run an updated Touchwiz off 4.3

Seems like a winner to me :)

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I've been thinking about upgrading to the Note III instead of the iPhone 5S when they are released. The main reason for me is the long battery life and the crazy specs.

However, I don't want to move away from the ease of using iTunes with my iPhone, iMessage, and the better app selection.

I think I would be able to decide better once they are both released and trying them out in stores.

elchorizo

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Beaverton, OR
I don't know, it's a really good question. It's kind of like why do I wear a Rolex when I know damn well that any $45 Casio will do the job just as well, with more features to boot. It's just something about a non plastic phone that I like, maybe the heft or perceived heft as an illusion, maybe the coldness, the hardness, something that subconsciously feels like quality even though I know the plastic samsung phones are very high quality, I'm not debating that point.

I have a feeling I will get flamed, but you know what I'm ok with sometimes spending my money on something that focuses on aesthetics just as much as function. This is probably the reason why the HTC One is doing so well, otherwise there isn't much different on it that other android high end phones.

That makes sense, and I agree about aesthetics in general. Its funny how it works. Some things I care deeply about the aesthetics and other things I couldn't care less. I'm actually a User Interface developer so I can certainly appreciate aesthetic qualities and design too.

Personally, I like the Note II both from a capability standpoint as well as an aesthetic one and am surprised so many people don't like the plastic look/feel.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Is the snapdragon 800 in any phone yet? Optimus g pro? How's the battery compare to the 600?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
HD screen on a device that big will be interesting.

Still too big of a screen for me for a phone though.

5 inch device is about right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.