iPad So, who's going to buy ipad 2 for 400$?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Smartass, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Smartass macrumors 6502a

Anybody? I mean seriously, what the hell was apple thinking with this?

Ipad 2 (released 2011) 400$
    ipad air (released 2013) 500$
    price difference (you're welcome): 100$

where the hell is logic in this? Its like they dont even want to sell the remaining ipads 2...

So my question is this: Do we have anybody around here who actually bought a new ipad 2 in the last week or two?

2. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Why do people think that they know more about how to price products than the company making billions of dollars on them?

Just because you're a big, bad power user who couldn't POSSIBLY be seen with such an ARCHAIC device (it doesn't even have a RETINA display), doesn't mean a grandma who is intrigued by having an iPad cares.

Believe it or not, Apple knows what they're doing.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Let people spend their money the way they want.

You must have something more important to worry about!:mad:

4. paulcdb macrumors regular

Someone who has $400 to spend on one but doesn't want to spend $500... Simples really! ;)

I know a few people who only want to use the internet or watch movies and who cares which version it is so long as it does what the person wants.

5. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Then get the iPad mini with retina! I can't imagine spending $400 today on an outdated low-res screen device.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Would much rather get a refurb iPad 4 for $379. Heck, if you need cellular and don't mind the lack of retina or LTE, the iPad 2 Wi-Fi+3G for $349 isn't bad either. Alas, you don't really get those options buying in-store. :eek:

For someone who only wants an iPad for email, online shopping and other light work, the iPad 2 can be a good fit. It's pointless to pay an extra $100 for features and performance you don't need. As for the iPad Mini Retina, some might prefer the larger screen more than the high resolution display.

7. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

The key to your statement is a single letter:

I

I

I

I

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I'm not you or anyone else so I can only speak for I

This thread is like asking who is going to buy a 4S off contract. Why would you?!

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

iPad 2 at the price is for people who don't know any better and want the cheapest full size ipad they cant get for the lowest price.

10. w00tini macrumors 6502a

enterprises deploying handheld devices to run basic software will buy the ipad2 in measurable quantities.

that's a 20% savings versus the Air... smart investment when you're making capital investments.

11. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

i bought 20 last week for the company. all they do is run a 5250 emulator so we dont need an air or retina

12. zbarvian macrumors 68010

This isn't about being an inflated know-all, this is about steering people clear of a bad deal. The iPad 2 is not worth anywhere near its sticker price, and it would really be a waste of money to buy one. Much higher capacity, and even cellular models of the iPad 3 and 4 are being sold cheaper on eBay and Craigslist. I'd recommend one of those or the Retina Mini if you don't want to spend the $500 for the Air.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Form factor. I have a 5s right now but I like using my old 4 and 4S better. I just prefer the 3:4 aspect ratio on the older models. If I didn't already have a 4S, I would probably buy one off-contract.

14. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Form factor I can understand (although preferring the form factor of iP2 I can't understand) but I just don't get spending hundreds on a device near its planned obsolescence.

15. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Love the elitist attitude. What you call "people who don't know any better" I call "people who don't care".

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I doubt my grandma would be comfortable buying from eBay or Craigslist. Is the iPad 2 a bad deal? By today's standards, yes. However, the people who are considering buying one likely don't know any better and are at the mercy of the sales rep at Best Buy, Apple Store, etc.

17. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Why is the iPad 2 not worth $400? I'm using a mini which is basically the iPad 2 scaled down. Since it doesn't have a retina screen, it's performance is pretty decent. The mini now goes for $299... the iPad 2 for $399. I don't see the problem. Is the first-generation mini not worth $299?

18. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I don't even see the original mini as worth 300 (why I was looking forward to retina reveal). The truth is if you buy an iPad 2 today it won't be that big a loss if you don't care about a great screen but very quickly apps will be made that do not support it or don't support it well.

19. rui no onna, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You can get Apple Certified refurbs that have new shells, new battery, same 1-year warranty and 90-day technical support for around $400 or less.

16GB
    iPad 2 WiFi: $319
    iPad 2 WiFi+3G: $349
    iPad 3 WiFi: $359
    iPad 3 WiFi+4G: $409
    iPad 4 WiFi: $379

For individuals, I think going refurb is the better route. For large corporate deployment, 20% savings with an iPad 2 makes it an obvious choice.

20. WilliamG macrumors 604

Exactly. No store business is going to buy an iPad Air for their check-out process, for example, when the iPad 2 is $100 cheaper. Every iPad-enabled store I go to uses an iPad 2.

21. macduke Suspended

macduke

I think it's for people who don't know any better (or schools/businesses). If someone is really price-sensitive, they're more likely to pick up a Nexus or Kindle Fire. If I wasn't already in the Apple ecosystem and didn't have much money I would probably do that. Those tablets are finally getting to the point where they are "good enough" for many people. That's why Android tablet market share is slowly rising. Normal people who don't care much just want a tablet that can browse the web and they are entering the market.

One of my grandmas isn't well off (it's her own doing so I'm not buying her crap), yet in this day and age an internet connection is still really important. Her ancient Dell is crapping out for good (I've kept it going over the years for her replacing and making small upgrades). She's been asking about getting an iPad but all she does is web, email and poker games. I know she has hardly any money. So I told her to get a Nexus 7 for $229. Or one on Craigslist if she can find it cheaper. Something like that will have a longer lifespan than an iPad 2 or the former Mini for a lot less. And since I don't hate my grandma, I refuse to recommend a the first-gen Kindle Fires even if they are cheaper. :D

22. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

If people have $400 to spend, they should spend it on a refurb iPad 4 from the Apple online store, not an iPad 2.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad4gen

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Step out of your shell and consider the wider realm.

There is a significant ecosystem serving the point-of-sale, kiosk, and industrial markets that the ipad2 serves perfectly well. Also a large education market. None of them really need anything more advanced than the ipad2 and the mounts/accessories are already built and available.

24. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

No one is going to buy an ipad 2 for $400, or at least not in any significant numbers. It exists for two reasons:

1. For enterprise and education customers to buy in large quantities. They will buy many, but won't be spending $400 per unit, they'll receive volume discounts which can now be more flexible with the aging model.

2. In retail environments it allows people to see the difference between a retina display and a regular display. They will 99% of the time buy a retina equipped device afterward.

25. 617aircav Suspended

This here. Most consumers are ignorant of specs etc. A consumer who is educated on tech devices will not buy and ipad 2 for $400.