Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crank Lucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
custom_1234270253798_iPhone_3.png

custom_1233666773499_NewiPhoneSpecs.jpg

:eek:

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I love the Map idea in the iChat one! I saw that on TUAW and loved it! I think the actual phone is too thin though...
As for 4G... not yet... What you mean is iPhone 3rd gen. (3.5G)

Ams.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The first one is something I'd go for.... if they got rid of the white face and square home button. Also, I can't really see something that thin being comfortable to hold. I think they've gone as thin as they should with the 3G.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I like the second one because of the swappable battery.

But if the top one also has that, I like it better looks wise.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
aside from a possible front facing camera, which I also doubt is coming, I find impossible for other things to change about the front of the iPhone. It's perfect the way it is now, people just don't imagine how stupid it would with a different amount of space around the screen, you need to be able to use your thumbs, as well as touch the phone while rotating it or rest your thumbs without interfering with the touchscreen. The whole space philosophy isn't casual. I also highly doubt the phone would go back to being or becoming squarer than now. And don't forget about symmetry. The Air is a different beast, I never thought about using it in portrait mode, the iPhone is that, a phone..

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I like the second one because of the swappable battery.

But if the top one also has that, I like it better looks wise.

As has been said already, people need to realize that having a swappable battery is going to hurt the battery life of the phone in the long run. I really don't see how having means to charge in several locations throughout the day is such a problem for some.

Also, it looks dated. A lot of people buy this phone for it's aesthetic appeal. Having a removable battery door is a big step backward and I don't see Apple reversing their direction, even though they're at a stagnant standstill right now. :rolleyes:

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
i don't think the slimness --> thickness (bottom-->top) of the top concept, i'd rather have a phone that has at least a little consistent thickness.

either way, both concepts are intriguing.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I like the second concept the best, but it's missing the volume buttons. I love how it has a removable battery, but I don't think that will happen. Also, it looks like it's made out of aluminum, which I think won't happen either. It does look sexy though!

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
the second one isnt even ready for 4g...

are you meaning to say "so whos read for the iphone 3rd generation"
or "the next generation iphone"

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I like the second concept the best, but it's missing the volume buttons. I love how it has a removable battery, but I don't think that will happen. Also, it looks like it's made out of aluminum, which I think won't happen either. It does look sexy though!

it does have black volume buttons, really slim ones, look closely.
either way, the second mockup looks like something HTC would do,especially for the curved buttom, etc.
I'm with those saying there will never be a removable battery in the iPhone, look at the direction the Macbooks are going, iPods have always been that way, Apple is about simplicity and compactness.
For a second I thought about the chrome bezel going away, but I right away realized it's staying, take the Palm Pre for instance, the iPhone will never have a similar look. A blackberry would be more like it. I don't see the materials of the back changing anytime soon either, so I guess the design can stay the same. The Photo sensor will probably be the same so expect more MPxs, more noise as well, no flash if not a ring shaped one to take the Aluminum one's place.
I also thought about a back made of glass, that would be neat, maybe..I believe it wouldn't interfere with the reception, maybe an alloy would do, it would be more resistant to cracks from nowhere than the current plastics, less scratch-able. Who knows about being dropped, though..

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I just realized the next iPhone couldn't be a lot thinner than the current 3g since aside from the bezel and the headphone jack there isn't much more space taken by the profile and all..I was thinking about making a mockup imagining something like a Macbook lid, glasslike though, that could be the back of the phone, with the camera being pretty much flush with the body since there could be a ring-flash around it underneath the glass,invisible to the eye as well, kind of, no need for the chrome, as I was saying.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Whatever you think about the next iPhone, please dear effin' God don't call it the iPhone 4G. It will NOT be called that because it will not have a 4G network. Apple will probably drop the 3G from the name because it's kind of a given after a year of high publicity.

ferrarienzolove

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
Whatever you think about the next iPhone, please dear effin' God don't call it the iPhone 4G. It will NOT be called that because it will not have a 4G network. Apple will probably drop the 3G from the name because it's kind of a given after a year of high publicity.

thats awesome i hate it when people dont say something right like those idiots who still think the iPod touch is an iTouch

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
thats awesome i hate it when people dont say something right like those idiots who still think the iPod touch is an iTouch

I saw some writer on a Web site use the term iTouch. I wanted to puke, but I guess it's hard to expect more from some of these sites that just get people to play Mad Libs with iPhone terms.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
If the top one was a little thicker, it would be so awesome. Really like the looks of that. I can't wait for Apple to release a new iPhone so I can update my first gen.!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.