So why are people so hung up on what the next iphone will be called

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Jul 6, 2011.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Because you know what, whatever apple is going to call it, the name isn't what is going to cause it to be a big or little upgrade.

Why not argue instead about whether it will be a big or little upgrade?

What brought this on is it gets tiring when some one wants to denote the 2011 iphone and says either 5 (or 4s but at least then it is more obvious the person is making allusions to the upgrade as why else would you assume 4S over 5 unless you think the name means it will be a small upgrade. 5 is more common sense for next iphone), not even talking about what kind of upgrade it will be, and some one has to sit there and "correct" them. It's like, come on people, you get the point, they're talking about this year's iphone, quite sidetracking the conversation.

I've taken to calling it the 2011 iphone just so I don't have some idiot come correct me if I decide to call it the iphone 5 (Whatever, it's the next iphone. I'm not trying to make a statement on what size upgrade I think it will be, I use 5 cause it's the next number and otherwise I have no idea what Apple would call it).

2. Skika macrumors 68030

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

Just make sure you get the difference:

Big Upgrade: Internal Components

Insignificant and petty upgrade: Complete exterior redesign

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't know, but it's pretty annoying. I think we get the point that we are talking about the 5th generation iPhone. :p

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

This is MacRumors....someone has to be right and someone must be proven unequivocally wrong, have their post shamed and taken way out of context, then quoted multiple times (each time having the original post mocked for its n00bishness and utter ridiculousness as to why the F@$K it was even asked) for all to see in this grand 'ol public forum.

Personally, I could care less what it's called.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"Couldn't care less...."

7. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Some iPhone 4 owners wanting to make themselves feel better by telling themselves the next iPhone will only be a minor upgrade and be called the iPhone 4G or whatever.

As stupid as this sounds, I'm pretty sure it's true.

8. Dunbar macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP though, it's annoying to hear people debating whether we will see a "4S" or a "5" this year. The relevant information is the hardware specs not what the marketing people at Apple decide to name it. BTW, at a very minimum they're going to install the A5 chip from iPad 2 in it.

And it's not as annoying as people who claim we won't see any iphone refresh until 2012.

9. Biolizard macrumors 6502

^This.

iPhone 4 owners call it the iPhone 4S.
    iPhone 3G and 3GS owners call it the iPhone 5.

Distilled into two sentences.

10. mms13 macrumors 6502

There shouldn't be much of a debate. I would be VERY surprised if it was called anything other than the iPhone 5.

Ever since the 3G, the naming scheme has been effed up because of all the people who didn't understand that 3G was the name of the network, not the phone. The 3GS name was simply to correct the confusing naming convention, and get the number in the name back on track with the actual iteration of the device. Now that they are back on track, I don't know why they would do something stupid to mess it up again like calling it the 4S.

iPhone - 1
    iPhone 3G - 2
    iPhone 3GS - 3
    iPhone 4 - 4
    iPhone 5 - 5

11. Fresh1 macrumors regular

You forgot to add "/thread" at the end of your post.

12. outlawarth macrumors regular

This. Very well put. Sour grapes that's all ;)

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Because it is a forum where people discuss rumors?

14. PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

So instead of arguing about one thing completely out of our control, we should argue about something else thats completely out of our control?

People are hung up on what it's going to be called for the same reasons that they're hung up on if it's going to be a big or little upgrade... because none of us have ANY clue as to what's going on with the phone beyond the fact that it's not yet out.

3 new rumors/reports a day from analysts counteracting each other for the last two months has made people give two poops about whether or not it'll be called the 4S/4G/4GS/5/iPhone.

Just like 3 new rumors/reports a day from analysts counteracting each other for the last two months have made people give two poops about whether or not it'll have a 8 MP Sony sensor or a 8MP OmniVision sensor.

/me goes back to waiting for it to just get released so he can get his first iPhone

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Interesting that people debating the name are less annoying than people debating the year it will be released.

I like the OP's suggestion of calling it the "next iPhone".

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Exactly! If people are concerned about the name, let them discuss it, it's no different from things that concern you (OP, not PapaStu), it's all speculation at this point.

For the majority of people, I think this is true.

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Exactly.

So many iPhone 4 owners filled with buyer's remorse want the next iPhone to be an "iPhone 4S" so that they feel better about themselves. Knowing that they're stuck in a 2 year contract, they still want to feel that they have the best iPhone in the market. And this is bad thinking.
    I still have my iPhone 3G, and i knew the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 were big upgrades, but the iPhone 3G was fine for it's time (now it's almost dead).

What's worse is that if the rumors are true, the iPhone 4 is probably the worst externally designed iPhone, and even Apple execs believe it. Which makes some iPhone 4 owners upset.

The fact is, every iPhone upgrade is major, and the next one will continue the same way. Also, since the next iPhone is the 5th generation iPhone, I think a universal name of 'iPhone 5' would suffice, until the official name is released.

18. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

My problem isn't that they are discussing it (hell, I said why not just argue whether it will be a big or little upgrade rather than name which really won't mean whether it's a big or small upgrade, it will be whatever Apple decides is the best name to market it. I don't mind that if it is kept within the people who want to argue about what size upgrade it's going to be).

My problem is they frikkin spill their argument over onto other threads. LIke for example I want to say the 2011 iphone and I accidentally say the iphone 5 to denote the next iphone (cause well 5 is the next number). Then some **** decides to make some snarky comment, "it's iphone 4s" that has nothing to do with what I was trying to say. I see it constantly on here where some one was trying to say the next iphone and had some interesting point and some one decided to side track it arguing that they shouldn't have called it iphone 5 (or to a lesser extent, 4s, it's mostly the people who don't think it will be called 5 that seem to be the biggest annoyance).

My point is, "Who cares?!!! That wasn't their point and you know what they were trying to say!" Just cause I or some one else calls it the iphone 5 doesn't mean I or he/she is trying to make some statement about how big an upgrade it is (it's just a name, not everyone is making some sort of subtle hint on arguments that have nothing to do with their point). And half the time I get the feeling the **** knows that the person is just trying to say next iphone too but just wants to keep arguing a different point. And some people keep insisting though that if you call it the "wrong name" you are.

19. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Ok, I guess you do have a point about people brining it up in the middle of other threads. I think the main point is that the name is something people link with what sort of an upgrade it will be (and hence it would also hint towards the features the phone would have). People read a lot into the name of a product and how it ties to the features the product will offer.

20. wodeh macrumors regular

I'm desperately trying not to care about the next iPhone. The iPhone 4 is more than good enough, and I'd much rather continue to spend money on slightly updated iPads.

If it were called 4s, I imagine I could avoid it... although an exterior redesign might be awfully tempting.

Apart from faster-everything, I struggle to find fault in my iPhone... which I only ever use for Spotify, light browsing/email and classic console emulation anyway.

I dare say that the iPhone 5 is coming, though, and that it will be different enough to warrant this delay.

21. wxman2003 Suspended

Very true