So why can't the iPhone control a PS3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forza69, Sep 19, 2010.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

PS3 controllers are used with Bluetooth right? iPhone is bluetooth capable. Soooo.. why can't the iPhone be used as a PS3 controller? Is there anything like that in Cydia?

2. Worf macrumors regular

1) Software
    2) Competing Companies
    3) Lack of physical controls

I am pretty sure there is an app that allows the iPhone to be a controller for PSX emulator games

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Well hell. Why can't my iPhone toast bread, or make pancakes, or fold my laundry?

/facepalm

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

BD Remote was trying and claimed to do this.... it didn't. It sucked.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

7. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Because it's a phone, obviously. I don't understand where the negative replies are coming from. It's not like I asked a completely ridiculous question. Lighten up.

Actually, the iPhone can control a toy helicopter.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Thank you for proving my point! =D

If you want a PS3 controller, get a PS3 controller ;)

10. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

The guy was making a joke. He's aware of the helicopter and associated app.

11. SoraLimit macrumors regular

If you jailbreak your iPhone, you can control your iPhone with a Wii Remote.:p:p

I assume that the PS3 could be made to work as well.

12. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

If that app was free I'd download it just for the hell of using the PS3 with my iPhone haha.

Now how about if someone rigged up an app to control a car? Like James Bond! Yea!!

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It would be nice to use my phone during Blu Ray playback or maybe browsing the XMB, but as a controller? There's so many issues, but the main ones are software and hardware. Getting the controller software may not be a problem, but explain to me how you're going to get the buttons there. The dualshock has 18 inputs -

D-Pad (U,D,L,R)
    Analog Stick (X2) + the L2&L3 button
    R1
    R2
    L1
    L2
    Triangle
    Circle
    Cross
    Square
    Start
    Select

While the D-pad and symbol buttons may be possible, the triggers and L3/R3 buttons are out, as the phone can't sense differential pressure changes, and mashing a glass screen during games like GOW or the multiple inputs for a game like Uncharted/2 are going to be extremely difficult. Beyond that, the physical dimensions of the 2 (Dualshock - 6.18" × 3.74" × 2.16" vs iPhone 4 - 4.5" x 2.31" x 0.37") and physical materials that make the device (ergonomically shaped controller with handles vs. glass slab with edges) will make any lengthy gaming session (IE - More than 30 minutes) pretty uncomfortable. Again, it would be nice to see some cross functionality between the 2, but the phone as a controller is not a good idea.

14. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

really are you kidding:rolleyes: try this app control my Appliances :D

works great on the dishwasher

15. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Err, sorry that I didn't make this clear the first time lol When I said I wanted to use the iPhone as a PS3 controller, I meant a bluray/DVD remote. Play, Stop, Forward, Rewind etc volume maybe. Not an actual game controller lol I know that would be almost impossible

16. mattkowalski macrumors member

I'm sure it's technically possible, but without jailbreaking it'll probably be almost impossible, as it seems Apple keep a close eye on what bluetooth's being used for.

But I guess the question that others have illuded to, is why? :p I also have a PS3, and the PS3 controller is much better as a games controller than the iPhone ever will....

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It probably would be possible. I don't know if Apple would allow such an app on the store, but people could always write it for their own iPhone, or distribute the source.

18. shotts56 macrumors 6502

I suppose in theory it could be done as a jb app. Why don't you try writing one ? If you did, I would probably buy it.

(Alas, I have neither the knowledge nor the time to do it myself!)

19. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Aha, that makes much more sense now! I have to imagine that both Sony and Apple would butt heads on that idea. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I doubt it will happen. :(

20. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

anyone know of any PlayStation emulator out there in jailbreak land? You know just like the gameboy one in the Cydia store.

21. j2004p macrumors member

For anyone interested, there is an app which will allow control of SOME blu-ray movies as long as the device (PS3 or network enabled blu-ray player) which plays them is on the same network as your iPhone, it's called 'PocketBlu'

It works very well and allows for additional interactive content to be shown on your iPhone screen. Unfortunately there aren't that many movies coming out with the technology embedded at the moment. I think this is begging to become a part of the blu-ray standard.

22. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

How about DLNA?

Is it possible to stream photos and videos taken by the iPhone to the PS3?

24. err404 macrumors 68020

Like so many other things, the hardware is there and the software is not that difficult. The problem is licensing and corporate politics (it not malicious, but is certainly not a priority).
    Sony could add a wifi service to the PS3 or Apple could approve an app. It would be easy to implement, but don't hold your breath. JB is your best hope.