So will she be teased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, its not spelled the same, so that's one thing. But being a Princess, I don't really think its going to matter much :D

D

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
When I read the sentence about Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader I missed the part about "star wars" and I thought those were tha names of their other kids and I fell out of my chair laughing.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
What's the problem?

What's the big deal? My son's name is Luke.
But then, my last name isn't Skywalker. LOL :D

jenniff

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Is Chicago, is not Chicago!
Mr. Anderson said:
Well, its not spelled the same, so that's one thing. But being a Princess, I don't really think its going to matter much
Plus kids these days are so uncultured, the child's peers might not even put two and two together. I work with a lot of kids, and too many them know nothing of Star Wars other than the recent releases.

With the spelling variation, I don't see why the mother even bothered explaining it. She should have kept that Star Wars quip to herself and out of the news. No one would have thought oddly of it.

dPratt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2004
Knoxville, TN
jenniff said:
Plus kids these days are so uncultured, the child's peers might not even put two and two together. I work with a lot of kids, and too many them know nothing of Star Wars other than the recent releases.

With the spelling variation, I don't see why the mother even bothered explaining it. She should have kept that Star Wars quip to herself and out of the news. No one would have thought oddly of it.
Her mother (the Queen of Norway) pretty much has to explain since her daughter is not only Leah, but Princess Leah ;)

EDIT: As far as people not putting two and two together, I'm not sure about that. I've never even seen Star Wars, but that's the first thing I think of when I hear Princess Leah.

jenniff

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
dPratt said:
Her mother (the Queen of Norway) pretty much has to explain since her daughter is not only Leah, but Princess Leah ;)

EDIT: As far as people not putting two and two together, I'm not sure about that. I've never even seen Star Wars, but that's the first thing I think of when I hear Princess Leah.
But Leah is not an uncommon name. I have many friends named Leah.

Leia is the spelling from the films. So, Princess Leah would fairly much go without noticing, unless she spelled the name Princess Leia.

The "Princess" need not any explanation, as a female child of a Queen will obviously be a princess.

As for you thinking of Star Wars when you hear "Princess Leah", you are clearly older than this child's age group, since you are posting on this forum. My point in saying that no one knows Star Wars is that this child - this infant - will not be teased because children these days do not recognize the films, and so when this infant ages to an age group when her peers will be able to tease her, they will not because they know nothing of Star Wars.

Who are we kidding? This child will have enough security following her around that no one will dare tease her to her face or behind her back, even if they do know who Princess Leia is.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
dPratt said:
I've never even seen Star Wars, but that's the first thing I think of when I hear Princess Leah.
Wow that must be a pretty big rock you live under.... ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
jenniff said:
But Leah is not an uncommon name. I have many friends named Leah.
Well, it is uncommon in Norway. Until now, that is, because I'm sure that it will be a fashion to name baby girls Leah the next couple of years... :rolleyes:

dPratt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2004
Knoxville, TN
jenniff said:
Who are we kidding? This child will have enough security following her around that no one will dare tease her to her face or behind her back, even if they do know who Princess Leia is.
I'm sure, so this is really a non-issue, I suppose. If it hadn't been explained here, I wouldn't have known Norway's Princess Leah's name was spelled differently. Which brings us back to...
evilernie said:
Wow that must be a pretty big rock you live under.... ;)
It's not so much a rock as apathy. I actually don't watch many movies, for some reason. Although when I do, I usually enjoy them. Yeah, maybe it's a rock after all ;)

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Can you imagine the news coverage she would get if she ever does anything heroic? ie. save someone from a burning building, help blow up a secret weapon, etc. :rolleyes:

Princess Leah Saves Mans Life. Film at 11:00.

jenniff

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Manzana said:
isn't leah and leia pronounced differently?

leah = lay uh
leia = lee ah
The Leahs I know pronounce the name "lee-ah", although likely there are those who pronounce it otherwise. I know Megans that pronounce their name "Meee-gan".

Although in Episode IV, you hear Leia pronounced both "lay-uh" and "lee-uh".. very strange.

I had no clue to the unpopularity of the name Leah in Norway. I'm just an uncultured American, I suppose. Either way, it's a total non-issue due to previously mentioned points.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Manzana said:
isn't leah and leia pronounced differently?

leah = lay uh
leia = lee ah
That's funny...my pronunciation table is the complete opposite of yours - much like what jenniff mentioned.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
wrldwzrd89 said:
That's funny...my pronunciation table is the complete opposite of yours - much like what jenniff mentioned.
that is funny! I got it backwards! sorry about that.

should be

leah = lee ah
leia = lay uh

i'm just spacing out today

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Normally children are teased just because they are different. Being a Princess is a whole different lifestyle, so don't think she will have any worries. I think that Leah is a lovely name.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
evilernie said:
Not really, but I don't mind the connection. We just liked the sound of it.
"Luke" sounds so cool in French, like, "loo kah," sorry, I can't type out a really cool looking French accent. :p

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Well, my middle name is Thorin and I tried to keep it quiet till college. Of course, the teasing was just because the name is "weird", not because it's a Dwarven King. No one reads...

Status
Not open for further replies.