Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I've had my 6 plus since launch day and when bendgate broke with all the videos I defended the iPhone and Apple. "Look how much pressure it's taking" but I guess that's to bend it like a pizza box. Apparently it doesn't take that much pressure when it's in your front pants (jeans) pocket to bend it just enough to get the glass to separate from the body.

I started checking my phone every few days after the videos came out and I was never 100% convinced it wasn't bent. It felt like it rocked the slightest bit but I couldn't see any other clues to tell me it was bent so I kept using it. Saturday morning I checked it again and I don't know what clued me in to check it this way but after removing it from it's case I squeezed the glass a tiny bit down and I faintly heard something. I held it up to my ear and I repeatedly pressed down and let up pressure and I could hear air rushing out between the glass and the phone when I pressed down.

I made an appointment at the Genius Bar for Sunday afternoon and when I brought it in I wasn't sure what they'd tell me. The guy helping me heard the sound too and said it was the 1st one he knew about with a problem like that. I asked if it was just the glass not set correctly or what and he said it was definitely bent. They exchanged it for a new one with basically no questions asked.

After everything that has happened so far I don't know if I should feel good that Apple was cool about a replacement, mad that it happened or worried that it might happen again. If I had to guess, it probably happened at some point when getting into my Jeep. That is basically the only time it's in my pocket when I sit down. I don't wear skin tight jeans but they aren't baggy either. I would expect something you pay top dollar for to hold up. I guess as long as Apple is cool about replacing bent ones they'll keep me as a customer. It was their great customer service with repairing a MacBook many years ago that got me to be such a local customer. I've had every iPhone since the 3, multiple iPads, Apple TVs, the MacBook and an iMac and gotten many family members to buy Apple products too.

If there is one thing I could say to Apple it's "Stop making your phones so damn thin." People want phones that will hold up to every day use and a little extra thickness for bigger batteries wouldn't be a bad thing. Off topic, but I LOVE the battery life of the 6+.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out with this over the next year and to see what kind of design / structural changes (if any) are made with the 6S+.

Last edited:

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Hope you have better luck with the replacement! I think the real solution is for Apple to start to get away from aluminum. "Thin is in," and I do not think this will change. But a little flexing is not a bad thing if the material the phone is made of flexes back to its original shape. like stainless steel, titanium, carbon fiber composite, etc.

lichen86

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Glad to hear they made it right. My launch day 6+ is warped but the screen isn't separated (yet). Heading to genius bar today.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Glad you got a new phone OP. Unfortunately, I imagine it will begin to deform if you carry it in your pocket as well.

Now queue up the "stop sitting on your phone" brigade in 3...2...1...

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I am not holding out hope for the 6S but maybe the 7 will be thicker/stronger.

Seeing how Apple has been going with their new "thin" device line lately, I have my doubts that they will make them any thicker in the future.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
I know I read this from another user but it does seem like a mighty coincidence that most of the people who have bent phones were using them in cases.

Any possible connection? Maybe the case is somehow contributing to the bending?

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I know I read this from another user but it does seem like a mighty coincidence that most of the people who have bent phones were using them in cases.

Any possible connection? Maybe the case is somehow contributing to the bending?
I don't believe a case would cause a phone to bend, even if it were a flimsy case. Extreme pressure, imho, is the main factor with all of the iPhones bending.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
You may be right, but I really can't see them not fixing this on the 6s. These phones bend when carried in the pocket, it's not a matter of if, but when.

I agree on both points. Maybe some internal structural support around the weak points. I wouldn't say I "baby" my phone but I know I'm far from rough with it too. If mine bent at some point in the first 5 weeks this isn't going to be good for Apple.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Another one? Boy this bending problem sure is getting out of control

There will be thousands of bent phones. Perhaps even 20,000 bent phones. It's going to happen. That doesn't mean it's widespread. There have been over 40 MILLION iPhone 6 and 6+s sold so far. Best I can calculate based on the evidence (and including a 10 fold fudge factor), is that these are bending at a rate less than 0.04% per year, which is a lot of phones, and an extremely SMALL portion of phones.

It's going to happen, you'll see hundreds of reports amid thousands of bent phones, but you're still 80-100 times more likely to shatter your screen than to bend your phone.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
There will be thousands of bent phones. Perhaps even 20,000 bent phones. It's going to happen. That doesn't mean it's widespread. There have been over 40 MILLION iPhone 6 and 6+s sold so far. Best I can calculate based on the evidence (and including a 10 fold fudge factor), is that these are bending at a rate less than 0.04% per year, which is a lot of phones, and an extremely SMALL portion of phones.

It's going to happen, you'll see hundreds of reports amid thousands of bent phones, but you're still 80-100 times more likely to shatter your screen than to bend your phone.

I have a 6+, and so far it isn't bent (have a spigen neo-hybrid metal case). I just want to question the figure people keep quoting. Yes, Apple sold 40+ million phones. I just wonder how many have actually taken delivery (out of the 40+ Million). The wait on AT&T's website is now 28-35 business days.

I think it is a problem, major? I have no idea, but it is a problem.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA

After bending a phone within the first few weeks I would be fairly surprised if I don't have another bent phone in the next 11 months.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I am not holding out hope for the 6S but maybe the 7 will be thicker/stronger.

If it turns out to be widespread they'll find some way of fixing it in the 6S Plus. They improved the antenna in the iPhone 4S even after calling "Antennagate" overblown.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I've had my 6 plus since launch day and when bendgate broke with all the videos I defended the iPhone and Apple. "Look how much pressure it's taking" but I guess that's to bend it like a pizza box. Apparently it doesn't take that much pressure when it's in your front pants (jeans) pocket to bend it just enough to get the glass to separate from the body.

I started checking my phone every few days after the videos came out and I was never 100% convinced it wasn't bent. It felt like it rocked the slightest bit but I couldn't see any other clues to tell me it was bent so I kept using it. Saturday morning I checked it again and I don't know what clued me in to check it this way but after removing it from it's case I squeezed the glass a tiny bit down and I faintly heard something. I held it up to my ear and I repeatedly pressed down and let up pressure and I could hear air rushing out between the glass and the phone when I pressed down.

I made an appointment at the Genius Bar for Sunday afternoon and when I brought it in I wasn't sure what they'd tell me. The guy helping me heard the sound too and said it was the 1st one he knew about with a problem like that. I asked if it was just the glass not set correctly or what and he said it was definitely bent. They exchanged it for a new one with basically no questions asked.

After everything that has happened so far I don't know if I should feel good that Apple was cool about a replacement, mad that it happened or worried that it might happen again. If I had to guess, it probably happened at some point when getting into my Jeep. That is basically the only time it's in my pocket when I sit down. I don't wear skin tight jeans but they aren't baggy either. I would expect something you pay top dollar for to hold up. I guess as long as Apple is cool about replacing bent ones they'll keep me as a customer. It was their great customer service with repairing a MacBook many years ago that got me to be such a local customer. I've had every iPhone since the 3, multiple iPads, Apple TVs, the MacBook and an iMac and gotten many family members to buy Apple products too.

If there is one thing I could say to Apple it's "Stop making your phones so damn thin." People want phones that will hold up to every day use and a little extra thickness for bigger batteries wouldn't be a bad thing. Off topic, but I LOVE the battery life of the 6+.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out with this over the next year and to see what kind of design / structural changes (if any) are made with the 6S+.

Not bent. Just the screen wasn't set properly. I had the same thing happen to my 5s. Was my 5s bent? :eek: no. :rolleyes:

unnamedny

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014

Where is your logic? I know your math is not there, but where is your logic. A. You are counting in all iphones sold (not even talking about pre-orders) not just 6+, that has the issue. A little unfair don't you think? Number of 6+ sold is far less than 6's, so you might as well crank up your percentage numbers.

Then B. if there is an issue, it needs to be fixed. Saying "it won't bend under normal use" is a moronic statement and I can tell you why. When you drive your car, sooner or later you use emergency breaking and in many cases it's not your fault. Not imagine your rims bend every time you use emergency breaking. I've seen rims shatter, but that happens so rare and under extreme circumstances, such as high speed and deep pot holes.

What are the chances that you will have to use/store your phone under a little bit of pressure? Will you put little extra force on it once? Why anybody should be punished with deformed phone, for accidentally seating on it, or carrying it in tight jeans once?

Enough that screens can shutter from 3 feet unlucky fall, on your crucial life gadget, that you hold in your arms 5+ hours a day and you spent $1000 on. So I guess Plus means that it can also bend now.

I'm member of enthusiastic tech and sports forums for many years, and I have never seen users being so ignorant and unhelpful with issues being raised by other members. I've never seen post regarding $3000 road bike frame failure with replies such as "It's your freaking fault" or $200 flashlight stopped working thread with reply "Well it's just one out of the billion, so no one cares, stop posting about this issue"

Last edited:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I love Apple and will always use an iPhone but the Note 4 has a much, much better build than the iPhone 6. I'm really impressed by it.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
Where is your logic? I know your math is not there, but where is your logic. A. You are counting in all iphones sold (not even talking about pre-orders) not just 6+, that has the issue. A little unfair don't you think? Number of 6+ sold is far less than 6's, so you might as well crank up your percentage numbers.

Then B. if there is an issue, it needs to be fixed. Saying "it won't bend under normal use" is a moronic statement and I can tell you why. When you drive your car, sooner or later you use emergency breaking and in many cases it's not your fault. Not imagine your rims bend every time you use emergency breaking. I've seen rims shatter, but that happens so rare and under extreme circumstances, such as high speed and deep pot holes.

What are the chances that you will have to use/store your phone under a little bit of pressure? Will you put little extra force on it once? Why anybody should be punished with deformed phone, for accidentally seating on it, or carrying it in tight jeans once?

Enough that screens can shutter from 3 feet unlucky fall, on your crucial life gadget, that you hold in your arms 5+ hours a day and you spent $1000 on. So I guess Plus means that it can also bend now.

I'm member of enthusiastic tech and sports forums for many years, and I have never seen users being so ignorant and unhelpful with issues being raised by other members. I've never seen post regarding $3000 road bike frame failure with replies such as "It's your freaking fault" or $200 flashlight stopped working thread with reply "Well it's just one out of the billion, so no one cares, stop posting about this issue"

What you said!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.