So you can get BTO MBP's in apple stores..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadow82x, Nov 17, 2016.

1. shadow82x macrumors 6502

Has anyone been able to pickup a 2016 15" space grey 2.7 GHZ/1TB SSD? It seems like they only carry specific BTO configurations.

2. MareLuce macrumors 6502

Your question is odd considering how you titled the thread.

3. Chad Brostorm macrumors newbie

Unfortunately there's no way to tell w/out popping into the store. The Fifth Avenue flagship store had a 2.9/460/1TB model yesterday, but only in silver.

4. ikenstein macrumors member

And when I went into the Fifth Avenue flagship yesterday at 12:30 pm I was told the didn't have this exact model and that they would only be getting in base configurations :/ I swear the employees working the floor are clueless.

5. justinf77 macrumors 6502

I think they just have one BTO configuration for each model. From what I've seen so far, they are:

13" MBP
    3.3GHz / 512GB / 16GB

15" MBP
    2.9GHz / 1TB / 16GB / 460 dGPU

Interestingly enough, these "ultimate" models are both one step down from the maximum storage option. I guess they thought that the 1TB and 2TB upgrades for the 13" and 15" were too expensive even for the small segment of the market that walks in and requests one of these ultimate configurations.

6. ikenstein macrumors member

From what I want, and what I've seen, the 15" in that configuration seems to be the sweet spot. For the 13", I would ideally want that configuration, but with the 3.1 i5 as I don't think it's worth $200 to upgrade to the i7 (though it might be worth it just to avoid a 4-5 week wait...)

7. justinf77 macrumors 6502

I bought the 13" 3.3GHz model yesterday morning and aside from some battery concerns, I am really just loving this machine. Right now, I've been using the computer for some web browsing with over 50% brightness for about half an hour, the battery still reads 100%, and the estimated time remaining is 9:45. If this is anywhere close to accurate, I'll take it.

8. ikenstein macrumors member

Wow! Considering what I've been reading in this forum that sounds great! Very promising...

9. Chad Brostorm macrumors newbie

That sucks! I popped in yesterday at around 2PM and asked what they had in stock. Ended up walking out with a SG TB 13 3.3/16/512.

10. xSyao macrumors newbie

If you go to Century City or Glendale Galleria Apple Store in so cal

You will find the ultimate 13 3.3 / 16 / 512 :)

15 BTO they have it in century city as well but dunno if they ran out of stock.

11. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

That 15" BTO they are stocking is a good choice, not only because it is the config I preordered but looking at the order spreadsheet it is a very common (almost maxed) config. The 2TB upgrade is another big step in price so I understand why they aren't stocking the truly maxed out 2TB version.

12. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Are these BTO showing up on those stores website inventories? Whenever I go to select a 15" 2.9/1TB/460 every date in stores is Dec 30th.

13. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

What are your battery concerns?

14. ikenstein macrumors member

I need to ask them to check their iPhone POS unit next time

15. Chad Brostorm macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, they don't show up.

I've always had more success with the floor employees when I start off with "Hey, I know you guys usually carry a few higher-specced models in the store...". I've purchased most of my BTO-specced MBPs from retail stores for the last few years.

16. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

good tip, i will try that.

17. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm amazed at how clueless Apple employees are now. I called an Apple Store yesterday and the Apple Employee said they didn't have any MBPs w/ a Touch Bar, but they did have MBPs w/ Touch ID. When I asked for a further explanation, the Apple employee was confident that they had 15.4" models with Touch ID but no Touch Bar. I couldn't convince her that they were one and the same so I finally gave up and hung up on them.

I'm not willing to just "stop by" since they are over an hour away.

18. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I was able to go into my local store in Portland, Oregon to pickup a 13" TB 3.3/16/512. Had one on order through apple.com with expected delivery of end of Dec.

I wonder what their thought process was in delaying the orders for people that were dedicated enough to preorder in order to have in store stock. Maybe they didn't want the bad "PR" of having a new product that you couldn't actually take home right away for those random shoppers that walked into the stores.

19. littlepud macrumors regular

As much harping as I've done in favour of the 2015 refurbs, I just grabbed a fully-loaded 2.9/1 TB/460 from my local Apple Store to take for a spin during the holiday return window. Unless the wife rips me a new one, I can see myself returning the 2015 next week.

20. brojan macrumors member

The upgraded models aren't showing up on the website as in stock inventory, but myself and others have seen them in store while they show Dec 30 online.

May be just taking some time to catch up the inventory, or they arent planning to show them.

21. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

Space grey or silver?

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Well I be darned. I finally found a way to get through to an actual store (versus the centralized call number they connect you to when you call a store) and an Apple Store that is one hour away from me has the exact BTO option that I have on order. And it's the only single one they have in stock. Rather than drive 1 hr and 10 mins one-way to find out its been sold, I'm going to call the store back 2 mins before they close tonight and see if they still have it in stock. If they do, then I will make the drive tomorrow morning and be standing in front of their door 20 mins before they open in the morning.

Assuming it doesn't sell tonight, that should do the trick!

23. littlepud macrumors regular

Space grey.

24. justinf77 macrumors 6502

I'm so happy to be in the company of people as crazy as I am when it comes to securing a new MacBook Pro haha. I called up my Apple Store as soon as they opened yesterday and once they confirmed the model I wanted was in stock, I jumped on my bike and furiously pedaled there until I arrived soaked in sweat and barely able to breathe. But I got my new MBP!

25. brojan macrumors member

What's the build? Just curious bc I've only seen maxed out 13" but Im looking for a regular CPU, 16gb ram, 512 SSD config.