iPhone So you mean to tell me that we clean install every beta?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Krissypantz2828, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I don't mind installing fresh- set phone as new, reinstall apps etc...

But to download all apps each time is a pain!! Do you guys do this every time? I believe that it's better and have done it 90% of the time but it's annoying

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Uh, why not just do an OTA update? I only do a fresh install if I've got a major issue with an update. That almost never happens. Sometimes people who have done a clean install end up with more bugs than those that just update it on the device.

3. pottyvick macrumors regular

Its not required... but if you have any issues its always best to fresh install

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The betas are designed to be clean installed. They're also not designed to be used as a everyday OS with all of your apps on it. Only for the apps you are updating and testing for iOS 7.

5. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Because when I did that it drained my battery big time

6. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Fresh install drained your battery big time?

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This is what I do every Beta in detail:

- Download the full beta IPSW file
    - Shift-Restore my phone in iTunes and point to that IPSW
    - Setup the phone as "New"
    - Go to iTunes and sync most of my apps and music
    - Add my mail accounts, login to my apps, adjust settings.

I repeat this every Beta release.

8. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

No OTA

9. Naor macrumors regular

It's a myth. OTA update is just like any other update... "fresh install" is a waste of your time. Your battery will stay the same, granted.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

OTA is not the same as other updates. Not everything that is updated between versions is present in a OTA update, most is but not everything. There can be random bit flips due to how iOS obtains the update and the amount of checking it can do. The digital signatures are different as is the binaries themselves.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

The binaries and all that are different because different things are needed when updating OTA on top of an existing installation and over a computer using a full installation. But that doesn't mean that the resulting update will have something different in it if you do it one way over the other.

12. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It's beta software, for developers.

Not aimed at end users, and ensuring the upgrade process works properly from 6 to 7 is probably one of the last things apple will be concerned about while the platform is still being developed.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not what this is really about.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS installs OTA updates via the UNIX patch command. Not like Windows or Mac OS X. The end result has many differences, enough for many jailbreak developers to not test or support OTA versions of iOS. Some of those key differences are in the iOS kernel and SHSH blobs. OTA iOS updates also lack support for through file verification like iTunes updates. While it can do basic verifications, it isn't able to correct a problem with a blotched file. That's why an OTA update sometimes requires iTunes to restore the device. While a blotched file may pass the limited OTA verification, it would normally be replaced with an iTunes restore/update. These blotched files can sometimes lead to unexpected problems when encounter by the system like false bugs, stuck loops, or surprise recovery mode.

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

That's odd, because the OP is clearly whining about having to do a clean install of an iOS version that is not released yet, and thus has not gone through the release engineering process to ensure this sort of thing isn't required.

16. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Are you a developer? Do you have iOS 7 beta 4 on your phone? Just curious

17. jgrenard1 macrumors newbie

I originally clean installed beta 3 and did a OTA update to beta 4

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

The general discussion is actually not exactly beta-specific.

19. shenfrey macrumors 68000

This is the dumbest propaganda iv ever heard! If that was the case they wouldn't even do OTA updates in the first place! Stop chatting like your stating facts.

20. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

OTA all the way, I'm updating this way since they introduce OTA updates to iOS. Now I'm iOS 7 b4 and I have no problems at all.

21. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Are they? Well, why does Apple push them through OTA then?

To the OP, I allways do it through OTA and no problem so far. First beta and second one had crashes and battery drainage/overheat problems but mostly because they were first betas. None of that now with beta 4, and beta 3 has been pretty good too for me.

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple releases OTA beta updates to test the OTA feature. They may be changing how it's done or want to try out a new way of doing it. In Apple's own documentation, they recommend that developers only use the full restore method. Only during the iOS 5 beta 2-GM release did they ask developers to test the OTA function.

23. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

You're right, the title of this discussion is about the greek alphabet!

24. batting1000 macrumors 604

Agreed.

That's irrelevant.

25. appleisking macrumors 6502a

On the contrary, it would be pure hypocrisy if that poster wasn't a developer.
    Don't listen to them op. You got the response you needed, now you can pretty much ignore the thread.
    He's asking a question. Yes it comes off as whining, but it is relevant to this forum and that is all that matters.