So you think that Intel HD4000 is weak? Check this out!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jffluis, Oct 23, 2012.

1. jffluis, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

Hi folks, I made a video myself for showing to the haters a ENORMOUS resolution that HD4000 can handle nicely without any lag!!
    The pic resolution is 10,400 x 3,597px!!!

This is the proof that EVERYONE NEED!

Haters are welcome :D

2. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

There were never issues with scrolling through photos. Although sometimes the Preview app can cause lag in PDFs when zoomed in or w.e

3. jffluis thread starter macrumors regular

jffluis

Yeah, so why people are constantly complaining that HD4000 cannot handle 2880x1800 or 2560x1600 resolution on MBPr UI?

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Can it handle 2 external displays and run heavy photo/video editor without lagging?

5. jffluis thread starter macrumors regular

jffluis

I can't answer your question since I don't use external displays.

6. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Because people love to complain...

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

On the rMBP, if any external display is plugged in, it automatically forces the dGPU.

But that's beside the point. Why do you want to get a notebook with 13" high resolution display just so you can plug it into... an external display?

And photo/video tasks are better suited to computers with quad-core processors. I think you want a 15" rMBP.

8. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Doesn't it make more sense to want to plug a smaller, portable laptop into an external display when you are home?

9. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

Well, it´s not untrue that some rMBP´s suffers from lag, but i still strongly believe that it´s just a software problem and that it will be fixed sooner or later.
    Why else would some rMBP´s not suffer from it at all? (I´ve tested a lot of them, and I am super picky about stuff like this. Yet a lot of them are perfectly fine when it comes to smoothness.)

10. jffluis thread starter macrumors regular

jffluis

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I have lag in Facebook for example, and some apps that need some improvement, we simple have to wait patiently that some drivers can be optimized for this resolution. :D Then I will be perfectly happy with my MBPr. :D

11. bill-p macrumors 65816

When I'm home, I think it makes more sense to move my mouse or press a button on my keyboard and have my iMac + 2 external displays come on than having to plug a gazillion plugs into my MacBook.

When I'm about to go out, it's also much less of a hassle if I don't have to unplug a gazillion plugs before sliding the laptop into the bag.

So needless to say, I've already been there (11.6" MBA + 30" Cinema Display) and I decided iMac + rMBP would work far better. My rMBP is the perfect presentation device since I can show the entire iPad Simulator, Retina or not, without any scaling. When I'm home, and I need serious rendering work, iMac can pull an all-nighter.

12. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

Test this site on yours and let me know how it fares:

Dagbladet

It´s one of the sites i usually test, and it´s 50/50 if it lags or not.

(don´t worry, it´s just a Norwegian newspaper :p )

13. Exana macrumors regular

Moving a picture is a CPU job. GPU only send the visible part to screen... So this shows nothing about GPU power. BTW, you don't even tell witch screen resolution you are using.

14. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

Don´t underestimate the rMBP´s when it comes to pulling an all-nighter. The speed it renders at is pretty impressive. I´ve actually been pretty impressed with heat on it too. Color me impressed! :p

Though, I´ll probably go for one of thos new iMacs when it gets available. Now, whether to choose 21 or 27.. :rolleyes:

15. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I think there is a lot of truth to that. I found that since Apple has released updates to Mountain Lion the UI lag is pretty close to non existence now. I do notice it in Facebook but using Safari instead Chrome helps in addition to having the chat side bar window closed on the far right. That thing really makes it laggy.

I think in next few months its only going to get better.

16. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Yeah, that makes total sense. Its just the options of whether you want to always be working off the same machine/HD and deal with the cables, or if you don't want to deal with the cables and run off 2 machines.

Personally, when I have a lot of computer work to do, I'm fine with the smaller screen because it allows me to change locations in my house during the all nighter... little while at the desk, a while on the couch, up in bed, maybe run to a late night coffee shop, etc. Of course, if my computer work was images or graphic editing, the small display might be inadequate. But since its mostly paper writing, reading scientific articles, using excel/stata/R, the smaller display is fine. When I do have to do some image editing for a presentation, I just plug into my external for a bit.

17. jffluis, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

jffluis thread starter macrumors regular

jffluis

Yehh, but if it is CPU job, why when some websites are loaded some pages simply lag when scrolling? The CPU when scrolling is almost unused.

My resolution is Best for Retina

I tested and I don't have the super "smooth" scroll but not even close to facebook scrolling!
    If you want I make a video scrolling particularly this website.

18. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

My rMBP15 is constantly running at "Looks like 1920x1200" which is actually 3840x2400 effective and never switches to the discrete GPU and I have no problems with lag.

The HD4000 has ZERO issues driving that HD display. It's only falters when playing video games, but even the GT650M has problems with that

19. stevelam macrumors 65816

um because some of us actually know that retina display doesnt mean just high resolution?

20. houkouonchi macrumors regular

Not really... Now install/run diablo at 2560x1600 and let me see you get over 10 FPS.

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

Scrolling actually uses up quite a bit of CPU, get your facts straight.

22. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Also, many of them have NFI what they are talking about.

23. bill-p macrumors 65816

I wouldn't want to open my rMBP all night... the vents are wide open for... foreign objects to enter.

And my iMac is still better since it has the storage needed for those sorts of jobs.

The 15" rMBP is not that unwieldy actually. I lug mine around all day. It's lighter than the last generation MBP 13" after all, and the extra screen real estate is appreciable.

If it's reading, I can grab my iPad any time. Lighter than any computer I can reach for, and the Retina Display does an excellent job at keeping things sharp.

I guess I just don't understand the one-device-does-all philosophy. I often have multiple devices, each with its own use, and then some interchangeability between them is desirable (iMac to rMBP), but not always necessary.

I mean... seriously, I don't think my rMBP can ever replace my iPhone for taking calls, nor can my iMac replace my iPad for reading.

24. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

This is actually not that surprising. Intel has always stated that their HD4000 and even HD3000 graphics can easily power displays of 2560x1600.

25. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Obviously. Im being sarcastic for the low spec.