Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Better yet, join us helicopter pilots down in the weeds (at least that's where you stuck-wingers tell us we belong!) and it drops to hundredths of a microSv per flight...

But but but....250 knots is so slow! ;)

Man, I'm still jealous of you helicopter drivers. That sounds like a blast.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
well, a Zeppelin would achieve the same and be much safer, more comfortable and cheaper. Aside of burning up the original Zeppelin was the first flying hotel. Anyway, it's a fake but I'm sure some fools will invest money in it.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Well I can tell you that 100-120 knots with NVGs about 10-20 feet off the deck dodging trees, power lines, buildings and such is a bit of a rush. :)

Oh man, I'm sure. I'm so jealous of that kind of flying. What I do is very, very pedestrian in comparison!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Well I can tell you that 100-120 knots with NVGs about 10-20 feet off the deck dodging trees, power lines, buildings and such is a bit of a rush. :)

These days you have to worry about UAVs as well ... we almost clipped one in a UH-60 on approach to Baghdad International. Some of those bastards are really small.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Oh man, I'm sure. I'm so jealous of that kind of flying. What I do is very, very pedestrian in comparison!
Here are a couple of fun videos:

The BO-105 is an awesome helicopter.

The AH-1 is my baby. Brings back memories... :)

BTW, I would love to fly your biz jet. So cool! :)

All flying is good. :D

These days you have to worry about UAVs as well ... we almost clipped one in a UH-60 on approach to Baghdad International. Some of those bastards are really small.
UAVs are very interesting to me.

If you consider that a UAV is a remote control helicopter or fixed wing AC, then I saw my first ones at a test location many years ago. The fixed wing was an F4 Phantom jet and the helicopter was a UH-1. Really cool time for me during my military career.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.