Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
former San Diego resident

Hey everyone. Just hope everyone is doing well who is living near the fire areas. I'm a former resident of North County San Diego (Cardiff-By-The-Sea) and I feel the impact, even if I live in Northern California.

To everyone in Southern California, all the best.:)

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
Originally posted by mc68k
i watched my whole canyon burn today, from one side in the morning to the other side at night

i went riding around town and got very close to advancing flames in several parts of the city...what a sight

they evacuated us this morning, so i was kind of freaked out most of the day that my house was gone

my sister got pictures, but they are of the non-digital variety

holy crap man! I hope everything's going to be alright for you. You've got the support of all the members here, I know that. Let us know if you need anything.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Damn, that all sucks. I remember last year going out into the desert with Rower and hiking back up into a canyon and seeing a bunch of burnt trees from the previous years fire and thought that was pretty sad. This is so much worse....

Good luck and if you get any good pics post them - me and my morbid curiosity ;)

mk68k - that's a pretty wild description you had, I hope you don't get evacuated...

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Damn, that all sucks. I remember last year going out into the desert with Rower and hiking back up into a canyon and seeing a bunch of burnt trees from the previous years fire and thought that was pretty sad. This is so much worse....

Good luck and if you get any good pics post them - me and my morbid curiosity ;)

mk68k - that's a pretty wild description you had, I hope you don't get evacuated...

D

D, did you see these already?

http://organicallydigital.com/photos/fire/

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Yeah, as we've all mentioned, the sunlight can get really eerie. It was almost an orange-pink sometimes yesterday...it's a little on the yellow side today.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Scary thing is, of course, that exactly 12 years ago, this conversation would be about Oakland. October 21 was the start of the Oakland hills fire. Coincidence, especially if it was arson? I think not.

EDIT: anyone know how far the Simi Valley fires are from Woodland Hills? Or, for that matter, how likely or unlikely it is that the fire could start heading north?

Totalshock

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Tarana (to locals...)
Flights into SAN

Anyone know if the airports are staying open, and/or if they're mostly on-time?

I'm supposed to fly into San Diego tomorrow, but am concerned that the flight is going to be cancelled, especially because if it is cancelled, I likely won't find out until I touch down in Chicago, which is where I connect on the way out.

United's Web site warns of delays or cancellations as possible, but their utility for getting info on a specific flight appears to be on the fritz, or maybe just overworked.

Hope things get better for you guys down there soon.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I've lived in San Diego all my life, and have seen it "rain ashes" only once...way back in '69 / '70. This is far, far worse. It's been declared the worst (set of fires) we've seen. We've lost 300 structures (homes), over 100,000 acres, 13 deaths and counting, the air is thick with smoke, the sun is a bizarre red dot, there are ashes everywhere, and I'm not really near the fires themselves. Evacuations are happening in many areas, and the school district I work for (SDCS, 7th largest in the country) was closed today, and will be closed on Tuesday as well.

Our governor (Davis...he's still in power until the Terminator takes over) was in town today and promised help from nearby states...problem is, all of our resources were helping out in other areas of California, and we were helpless on Sunday as these fires basically ran out of control.

Although not as devistating as what happened in New York and at the Pentagon a few years ago, as one person stated at one of the shelters that were set up for those who were evacuated: "This is San Diego's 9/11." We have been declared a disaster area. Finally, help is on the way...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/

Truly awful. Thank you all for your kind words...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah sorry man!

Watch out and take all evacuations seriously.

Wet your grass daily and when the fire gets relatively close do the same for your house.

Helpful lesson when I was in the neighboorhood of where a house was burning. saved the nextdoor neighboor.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I'm a little concerned that the amount of ash may end up causing lung damage. I only hope that the long-term health effects don't end up more severe then the initial effects of the fire :(

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Particulate matter in the air is definitely a concern. According to some stats I heard this morning, we're over twice the threshold for unhealthy air right now. :eek:

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i just came back from watching MNF

half of my city has no electricity. the traffic lights, street lights, and house lights are all out. i was dropping my friend off and his block was pitch black. i turned my headlights off and it was like i was out in the middle of the desert on a camping trip-- but in the city. like 4 square miles of the city are out. i could go through every traffic light that i came upon. the beams of my headlights, especially the brights, were clearly visible in the air like i was in a dense fog. last night when the lights were out in my part of town. the fires were still going, and the only light you ciould see was an orange and red glow of the hills around my house burning, all at the same time.

another problem is that i'm asthmatic, so my lungs are constantly painful. everything smells like an ashtray. the taste of it gets into your mouth and mucous. you can brush your teeth, but it eventually comes back.

i was eating breakfast this morning with some friends-- one of which had her house burned down. i just helped her move back into her house with some friends this month. she is just kind of wandering around right now, with not much more than her car and her clothes.

i guess everything reminds me of a war zone

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I am in Los Angeles, not very near any of the hotspots, but my eyes are stinging quite badly this evening, from the air here.

I've been camping up past Crestline (the Lake Arrowhead area) many times, and I'm worried that the campground won't be there after this week. The fire isn't anywhere near under control up there in the hills. And I've got friends in several areas that are now threatened by the fires.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My thoughts and prayers are certainly with all of those involved with the fires. I hope that all of our members will be safe. It sounds like it is becoming a real health hazard.

Does anyone in the area know about how much damage has occurred in Rancho Cucamonga? I have a friend that lives there.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
I also heard that this is the anniversary of the Malibu fires about 10 years ago too. Strange stuff... well, not so strange if it was an arsonist...
Not quite sure I understand all this talk about the "strange coincidences" between the timing of the So Cal fires and the collective anniversaries of the Malibu, Oakland, Laguna Beach, et. al. fires.

If you've lived in California long enough, you know that September and October are classic Santa Ana months. You can practically set your clock to it, just as you can to June and the marine layer (aka, "June Gloom").

I believe we also have similar Santa Ana conditions for a short time in the spring, but Sept-Oct is typically worse. Drier and warmer...the jet stream allows an occassional strong High pressure system to camp out over northern Nevada and Colorado for days at a time, naturally displacing the air around it in a counter-clockwise (southwesterly) direction towards California and the Pacific (the opposite direction air normally flows here). Great for surfing, but lousy for most everything else.

But there's a mountain range that the displaced air has to high tail over and through, followed by a series of hills on the other side (this is earthquake country after all). The air takes the quickest and least resistant path funneling through the canyons and valleys, increasing in speed, warming the air and drying it out significantly. Result: Santa Ana winds.

It comes at a time when we are especially vulnerable, at the end of the summer, where again, if you know summers in California, most regions haven't seen a drop of rain for months. Most of So Cal is pretty dry in anticipation of our first rain for the winter and much of the wild growth around us has died off or is desperate for water. This is why the Santa Anas are so much worse in Sept-Oct than in the spring. Especially in the less densly populated areas (hills, canyons and mountian regions—read: Oakland Heights, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Alta Dena, Upland, San Diego, etc.).

Whole communities are being built in hills and areas that for years were subject to wildfires in years past. I've noticed fewer large fires over the years locally, but as the density of homes has increased in these areas where the wind can really take a toll, we're seeing fires taking out hundreds of homes where 25-30 years ago, we might have only seen a handful.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by wdlove
Does anyone in the area know about how much damage has occurred in Rancho Cucamonga? I have a friend that lives there.
Rancho Cucamonga is indeed in one of the fire areas. I'll see if I can get some more precise details.

Edit: A little more detail: Rancho Cucamonga is along L.A.'s 210 freeway, just west of the 15 freeway. They had to close part of the 15 freeway in that area this morning due to the proximity of the fires. This particular fire is being called the "Grand Prix" fire. There have been hundreds of evacuations there in the past couple of days. I sure hope your friend is safe.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There are a lot of nonsmokers in California, but the state itself is certainly smoking.

From http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/:

CAaqua27m.jpg

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
the fire is starting to hit many of my favorite hiking spots in the mountains :(

i found out that another person i know's house burned down...this really sucks. this makes 2 ppl i know now :(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Doctor Q
There are a lot of nonsmokers in California, but the state itself is certainly smoking.

From http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/:

CAaqua27m.jpg

That NASA photo is certainly awe inspiring. Thanks for posting. Have you heard anything about Portofino Drive in Rancho Cucamonga? That is where my friend lives. Are you having any respiratory problems?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I could find no news about any specific street, but I watched the crawler on the news until I got the details about the fire in the Rancho Cucamonga area.

As of this evening:
57,000 acres burned
50 homes lost
40 homes damaged
200 homes threatened
25 people injured
fire 35% contained
Some communities in the area have now been ordered to evacuate

It sounds pretty grim.

In the meantime, the Red Cross has put out a call for blood donors in San Diego and San Bernardino/Riverside counties. They will be collecting blood all day tomorrow at the Staples Center (where the Lakers play when they aren't standing trial or arguing with each other).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.