Soccer Sucks!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BluAffiliate, Dec 23, 2011.

1. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

I was just seeing the recent news story in the Netherlands when a skinhead ran onto the field and attacked a darker skinned goalie, but was beat up instead. What did the ref do? He gave the goalie a red card and ejected him, and eventually the whole team ejected in the end out of protest.

And I was left thinking: what a sad, petty, sports culture. One that glorifies violence and destruction ("hooligans") and unfair refereeing and lollygagging. Soccer is notorious for people taking plunges when they are not injured and actually encouraged by their coaches.

Not only that, the game of soccer is not that compelling:

-Scoring takes forever and is highly arbitrary. Unlike basketball and even football, luck plays way more in soccer due to 1 point being able to make or break a game.

-Soccer games are boring to watch. Essentially 90% of the game is the ball being kicked around field and every now and then an attack on the goal.. yawn.

-No sense of order to the rules. A game lasts 90 minutes with no stoppage of time and at the end the referee seems to pick a random number to extend the game. Huh? How is this fair? No wonder there is so much controversy in soccer games. If there's a tie, which there often is, the game is settled by a shootout, aka shooting at the goal. This part of the game is PURE LUCK. The only way to block the ball is to guess which direction the shooter is going to shoot at. Again, how is this fair? It's ALL LUCK.

-Cheating is legitimized and encouraged. One of the only ways to get ahead in soccer is to get penalty kicks by diving whenever you make contact with the other player. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioyt2zzm530

A montage of soccer players acting like they got shot by bullets WITHOUT EVEN MAKING CONTACT WITH ANYTHING. Soccer fans, explain this??

-Stupid, inconsistent rules. Offsides? What the heck is that? Half the time this ruling is called it is wrong or overturned.

Anyway, the point is: soccer is boring and I hope it never catches on in the USA. Blu out.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Too bad for you. Real football is catching in the US. Not all games are like that, you just had bad luck to see the bad side of it.

3. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Soccer is more fun to play than watch, though I am biased because I've played my whole life

4. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Soccer is so much better to play and watch then Baseball.

5. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, you may disagree with a lot of my post due to personal opinion and a love for soccer which is understandable, I am just stating my opinion. But please, EXPLAIN the video I posted of soccer players acting like they experience seizures without touching anything?

----------

Yeah, I hate baseball too. But not nearly as much as soccer.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Like I said, you just saw a bad gamer with bad players an sore feelings when it comes to loosing.

7. Lord Blackadder, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Is this another one of those things you've been "obsessing to [your]self about and losing sleep over", or is this just your usual level of misdirected hostility?

It's the biggest sport in the world, has been for generations, and you're just going to have to get over that. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Nobody's twisting your arm over it.

I would probably call football (soccer) my favorite sport.

EDIT: I might as well correct the misinformation in your first post:

The keeper, Esteban Alvarado, was red-carded for kicking the fan (who was drunk), but the red card has been rescinded due to the mitigating circumstances of the attack.

Alvarado's manager instructed his teammates to leave the pitch in protest at the sending-off and the ref subsequently abandoned the match. He did not have the "whole team ejected".

The Dutch FA is deciding whether to replay the match.

8. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

Really bro? Did you watch the video? There are 100+ scenes of people.. And tons of videos as well as personal experience. This is an institutional problem if I've ever seen one. Not an isolated example.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's part of the game. Call it cheating but that is the way it has been forever. That was also the way it was in other sports before all this video stuff. Sure, it can sometimes be unfair but it's also a part that makes soccer interesting to watch.

This is purely opinion versus opinion. I could point out a number of things about baseball or American football. E.g. Baseball has no physical fighting for the ball/puck/whatever, a guy just hits a ball and runs. American footie makes absolutely no sense. There is action for 5 seconds and then a pause of up to several minutes. I don't want to watch guys getting ready on the field, I want to see action. Of course, I'm exaggerating, byt hopefully you will see that it's quite useless to bash one sport. It's just your opinion.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Don't watch it then – problem solved. :)

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I don't remember where I stole the following quote:

Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen...football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by hooligans.

The rest of the world (slight hyperbole) seems to disagree. I'm sure many in the rest of the world look at football, or baseball, and can't imagine the attraction.

But,having said that, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Don't be surprised, however, if others STRONGLY disagree.:D

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's a video with all the bad things. I can easily find you a video (or videos) with great football scenes, plays and matches.

13. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

If cheating is part of the game its a horrible sport. Manipulating the rules is part of the game, really?

And just because it's popular around the world doesn't mean anything. I would think in a forum of mac users we realize just because something is used by everyone (windows) that it's the best.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's how all sports were before the video era. Even though ice hockey has video checking, I could point out hundreds of unfair decisions made by the referee. Sometimes even when the referee used video checking (mainly for goals).

Cheating, or whatever you want to call it, is part of every sport.

Nobody said soccer is the best sport in the world. However, many think it is and they are free to have their own opinion. So are you, but I don't see what is the point of bashing the sport and people who like it. It's just your opinion, not a general fact.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Indeed...In the present context, many = literally billions.

Either my building's on fire, or that smell is this thread is hurtling rapidly in the direction of the burning hells of the wasteland. :D:rolleyes:

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I imagine some of those hooligan football supporters set fire to it. That sort of thing happens all the time, apparently.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I don't like sports in general because of the mob mentality (and sometimes violence) that surrounds it.

I had some old douche scream in my face in a bar once because I "disrespected" the Pittsburgh Steelers because I wasn't watching them on the TV. I could give two ***** about fooseball and "stillers" (as people in PA often call them.)

I just never understood (and still do not understand) the obsession with sports that one is not playing. If I was on a team or knew someone on that team I'd want them to win but to like a team just for no reason or because its in the same city is beyond my scope of comprehension.

----------

Omg...people fighting over ugly shoes. Now I've seen it all!

19. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I wish the governing bodies would grow a pair and do something about cheating. Though to be honest it's not too bad here in the UK (but it does still go on).

What sport do you like then?

20. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

That'll never happen while Blatter is in charge.

IRB, NFL, NHL are all doing things to help player safety, whilst some ideas I disagree with, they are doing a pretty good job in all. FIFA on the other hand... Corrupt, don't really care about their players, don't care about the fans. If there are questionable goals, I would much prefer having the clock stop for 30 seconds if the ball barely crosses the line or the goalie scoops the ball out after it cleared the line (Roy Carroll a few years ago - I'm looking at you).

The play acting annoys me a lot, not to mention the likes of Tevez and to a bigger extent, the man who 'owns' him, Joorabchian, who is a vile creature surpassed only by Jabba the Hut.

I hate the way players don't respect officials in soccer too.

I remember when I joined a rugby team at 11 years old (after being told I wasn't good enough to play soccer) that it was about being a team player, about practice, respect and intelligence. John Terry and Suarez have both shown they lack respect and intelligence just lately. Some pro rugby players have been stupid recently too, but not to this extent.

21. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Because the NFL Giants defense didn't fake being injured to catch their breath and get substitutions in, the NFL didn't actually create a rule to fight that...

Yeah ppl suck everywhere, the worst part is that the best soccer team in a while (barça) does it most of the time, even if they would win without resorting to it, even when playing a team from a lower division that it end up beating 9-0

Cheating, conniving, *****, the lot of them (profesional athletes), but hey i like soccer anyways :D

----------

Yeah FIFA officials also part of the Cheating, Coniving, *****, the CCC... bah makes me kind of hate myself for liking soccer

22. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

I don't watch soccer (football) for no other reason than I just don't care, but I do think it is a much more athletic game than pretty much any American sport. Those guys run practically non-stop for 45 minutes at a time. American football, they might run for a few seconds at a time. Same with baseball. Basketball gets a little more run time in. But for all-out athleticism, I think soccer has them beat.

That being said, I also hate the ridiculous fake "injuries". I don't care if cheating has always been a part of the game, or any game. I just cannot take seriously anyone who drops to the ground and flops around like a fish out of water when someone barely brushes him. Makes me think of this woman.

I like watching college football, but mostly just from the school I went to. I understand the love of sports, but I do not quite understand the hardcore obsession with some people. My college roommate was a huge Miami Dolphins fan (this was in 1993). If they lost a game, he would seriously get in his bed after the game, and not get out for a couple of days, because he was so depressed. I really don't understand the fights and other crazy crap people do in the name of "their team".

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, you care enough to come here and b**ch? Why? If you hate it why give a ******?

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

THIS is exactly what I don't get! People get angry as if they personally had something bad happen to them and get in foul moods over a game. That is plain childish in my opinion. I don't get angry and pout if I lose a video game and I am actually playing it.

I had a lot friends that were really bad like that but got a rude awaking. Every year I'd throw a Halloween bash. I spend A LOT of money on this party each year and the one year some stupid football game was on and whatever team lost all of my friends ditched the party because they were being pissy because their team lost.

The party never happened since and each year they hint (and sometimes downright ask) for me to throw one, but I refuse because I was stood up over a football game after dumping $1500 into booze and food. The biggest issue was when my core friends don't show up, their friends and the friends of those friends don't show up hence no one at the party.

They're much better now and realize there is more important things than a silly game, but I'm still not budging on the party.