Socially Unacceptable?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Merkava_4, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Would you allow yourself to be seen walking down the street with full-size headphones on, or do you think it's more socially acceptable to wear inner-ear type headphones in public? You guys may think I'm joking, but I'm seriously worried about this. :eek:

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Personally, I find headphone to look a bit silly. They should be reserved for gaming at home and other professional sound work. The earphones designed for personal music listening are much better for walking down the street listening to music through...

...but each to their own, I guess.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just be careful with the volume you use to be able to listen and avoid injuring yourself or anyone else.

Also you might annoy others if the volume is too high and the sound leaks like you were having a walking boom box.
    For example sitting on the subway and the person sitting next to you is bothered because it has to listen to your 'crappy' music.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I would allow myself to wear headphones. I still wear them now, as earbuds actually hurt.

I honestly would care less what society thinks of me because I wear them. If they have a problem with it, that's esteem issue on their end, not mine. Also, it speaks a lot about them to care about something as superficial as that.

In short, I would wear what I would wear so I would feel comfortable, not because of what someone else may think of me. If they don't like it, too bloody bad. They can get over it.

BL.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, I can only give my opinion; when I see someone out and about with a gigantic pair of headphones clamped on their head I think "okaaaaaay" and then carry on.

If you can deal with the odd raised eyebrow, you're good to go.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It depends.

Are you capable of minding your surroundings with headphones in? Because if you walk into me or block an exit, I'll be showing you similar consideration no matter what's in your ears…

7. iStudentUK, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Personally I'd never walk down a street wearing full headphones, you need to be able to hear what's going on around you. I have a pair of Bose AE2s and I use them on the train put remove them when I get off.

If you want to use them anyway, here in London I see lots of different people wearing full headphones walking around.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Wouldn't

Walk around with my professional cans on, I use the earbuds. However I don't think it's socially unacceptable I've seen plenty of people doing it and it's never offended me one jot.

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I use in-ear headphones, but tend to look where I'm going, so it's rarely a problem.

Also, the isolate really well, so I don't bother anyone with my music.

10. torbjoern, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I use headphones (AKG K518). No sound leaks out, but I don't hear much of what happens around me either (which sometimes can be quite a good thing, actually). Socially unacceptable? It might look silly, but I don't care. I want good sound, that's all.

11. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Walking around with HD595s here. :D

I should buy some hipster clothes to go with them.

12. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

As long as no sound leaks out I have no problem, there is nothing worse than having your earbuds in AND hearing someone elses music leak from their headphones/earbuds. It makes me wonder how bad their hearing is to have it that loud.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I wouldn't wear cans out because I'm too vain, I think they'd look silly on me.

I wouldn't judge anyone else for using them unless they habitually used them with the volume loud enough to leak and bother others though.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I feel the same way about wearing them on the street, but I too am concerned with the safety issue. In a busy city like Toronto, where you could be killed by a courier on a bike, you'd best keep your wits about you.

I did get over the odd looks of people in hospital/clinic waiting areas though. :p

The sound is so much better with my AKGs, and they block out nattering people better.

15. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I wouldn't, but that is because I think I'd be more of a target for getting robbed.

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'd feel weird wearing big headphones and walking around but in Dublin I see a lot of people doing it so I guess it's ok. I wouldn't really say its socially unacceptable but it just looks weird. I just wear in ear ones

18. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Neither, since the idiots who have things strapped to their heads are apparently oblivious to the world. They like to walk in front of moving vehicles, etc. We can only hope they become recipients of the Spencer Award.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Funny, I wear in-ears while cycling all the time and I did this in london of all places for years. I won't try and rationalise my poor attitude to safety, it's just something I've done for years and I've yet to have an issue.

It's rare that I'll listen to music on the go while doing anything but cycling, otherwise I'd rather just listen to stuff at home.

20. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Not really, they are too clumsy. It's just not practical.

Mine are Bose QC15 (and before those, Bose QC3). If they were wireless (eg, bluetooth) then I might be more inclined to use them out and about.

But for now, it's only when I'm on the train or at work.

21. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just go to any international airport terminal and you will see plenty of active noise canceling over the ear headphones on the shelves of the different stores.
    If you get in an airplane you will see many people wearin them.
    What is not accepted is to wear them during take off an landing, as you annoy hear the flight attendants or the pilots in case of an emergency.
    And what is socially unacceptable is that the flight attendants start to talk to you when you are using them during the allowed time of the flight and they get mad because for some nano seconds you don't pay attention to them, simply because they 'don't know that you don't hear them' while using them.

22. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I get 'Train ride stiffies' a lot, so wearing headphones is perhaps more socially unacceptable.

Well I say that, but I rock my uncontrollable attributes like a badge of pride.

23. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I prefer in ear type, then I can do just one so I can hear what's going on around me..or go old school.

[​IMG]

24. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I remember a time when there were no in-ear buds :eek: (in fact, I can't or will never wear them again), so seeing someone with proper headphones on is quite normal to me. Hell, even if they were still carrying a walkman or diskman, I wouldn't care as long as they don't act socially unacceptable.

When I walk around the streets, I never listen to music, though. I prefer to listen to my surroundings, I can listen to my music when I'm home by myself and can listen (and dance) to it at any volume.

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

yeah, the large headphones that cover the whole ear do a great job of blocking out outside noise. Not something I would want to carry around, but I can see why people like them.