Sociology question and grammar question.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Feb 12, 2012.

1. waloshin, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am writing an essay for Sociology and I was wondering if this statement is true.

"Doug being class consciousness would help motivate him into attending university." Would this be considered class consciousness?

Now onto the grammar question my professor states, "Big Words, a Lot of Words: Some students believe that instructors are impressed by fancy words.
    They are not! The trend nowadays is to use simple English. Two general rules apply here: (i) never use
    a big word when a short one will do; and (ii) never use two words when one will do"

So does this mean we have permission to use contractions such as don't instead of do not,

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

wut?

Wally, can I ask what University you attend?

3. simsaladimbamba

Is there an article missing or is the third noun an adjective?

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Please don't let it be UWO. Please don't let it be UWO. :p

It's funny, I spotted this thread in Forum Spy, and I just knew it was a waloshin™.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Just be sure to use the correct form of it's/its if you are going to go with contractions. Your best source is, of course, the prof. Or - if your school files essays from past years, check to see how those are marked. If you are at a post-secondary institute, keep in mind that the paper may be marked by a TA, who has a slightly different view on contractions. I doubt you will get in trouble for using them, but you may get a TA who doesn't like them.

Luck.

6. waloshin, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Also I was wondering if this is good or bad.

I ran my essay through the Gunning Fog Index and got 14 is that bad or good? And a Flesch readability score of 44.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yep. Yet another canonical example.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Stop > cease and desist.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ouch. Waloshin: In the name of all the gods that may exist, those that don't, those that no longer exist and those who have yet to be dreamed up, what on earth are you trying to say with this sentence?

I used to teach history, politics (and, more pertinently, sociology as that department merged with the politics department the year I started teaching). So, I spent a lot of time grading and correcting term essays, and papers submitted by sociology (and politics) students. For some inexplicable reason, quite a number of the students thought sociology was 'easy'.

Just as a poorly performed play is somehow worse to sit through than an awful movie, a poorly conceived sociology essay is a greater struggle to grade than a miserable politics offering.

Re contractions: Maybe I'm old-fashioned but, while they are fine in emails, tweets, or indeed, online fora - I don't recommend them for college essays. They look sloppy, careless and casual.

Re 'Doug' (I assume it is 'Doug' not 'does'), that is a frightful sentence, in both conception and construction. Let's take the construction, first. If you use the verb 'to be' - as in 'being' in that sentence, then Doug is 'class conscious', not Doug 'is class consciousness'; such as: "being class conscious, Doug felt [more] motivated..."

If you simply wish to discuss the concept of how class, class consciousness, access to university, and opportunity to attend university are all linked, I'd recommend, [strongly] that you consider redrafting the entire sentence.

Cheers

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

How is this even a sentence? This just looks like a mashup of words.

11. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Interesting. Using (ii), we can inductively prove that your essay is just as good as no essay at all.

12. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I'm not sure about your class consciousness, but that's not gramatically correct.
    It really is not a gramatically correct sentence.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

15. simsaladimbamba

Though it is we, who keep it going. Waloshin seldom checks back into his own threads. Before he got 500 posts I would check his post count and his thread count, and the ratio was 2:1 at most (post:thread).
    I don't know, how it is today, as VBB's search features are limited, but seeing and participating in many of waloshin's thread, I see that trend, that he often does not return to give more feedback or if he returns, the post rarely scratches any replies he got.

So long I guess.

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, please!

17. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

18. simsaladimbamba

It's not that bad, is it?

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

That, is NOT a sentence.

Were you trying to say:
    "Doug's class consciousness motivated him to attend university."
    or
    "Doug, being class conscious, was motivated to attend university."

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Motivated to attending" is neither grammatically nor aesthetically acceptable...

:)

22. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I was cutting and pasting, and I edited as soon as it posted (hence no edit line). You must have gotten it early because of your time zone. :p

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I must say that you are truly a nice person to take this seriously enough to give a reasoned and cogent response.:D

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Nah, I rag just as much as most on the out there threads.

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OK, you win.

You're a rat!!!:rolleyes: :D