Software updater doesn't show any updates..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hostrup, May 27, 2010.

1. Hostrup macrumors newbie

Hey all.

Been troubleshooting for a couple of days now, and found hundreds of thread with almost similar problems, but not quite this one.

When I open for example iPhoto and Garageband, I get a notice that a update is available for them. It opens the software updater, which starts searching.. but nothing comes up. I am running snow leopard on Macbook Pro.

All the best
    Jonas

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just to check the obvious, are you running the latest version of iLife? If you've got, say, iLife '08, you'll get a notice about a new version when you open the apps (unless you check the box to stop telling you), but of course the updates won't show up in Software Update because they're paid upgrades to a new version, not just a .x bugfix/tweak release.

Probably not, since you say it opens Software Update on its own. (Actually, I didn't realize that iPhoto would tell you anything about a new minor update--I thought it just relied entirely on Software Update apart from "new version available" advertising.)

The most obvious thing to try would be to use the original disc (either your system install discs or iLife install disc) to reinstall iLife completely, then run Software Update and see if it finds them and offers updates.

3. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's a good question. I bought the computer in December 09, so I would imagine the "i" programs is 09 versions. I don't have "iLife" disc, only the two recovery cd's and a snow leopard upgrade disc, all three included in the black folder that came with the computer. How do I know if they are 09 versions, when they are not in a iLife packet? I only have them as included in mac os x.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

iLife 09 was released in January 09, so you probably have iLife 09.

The easiest way to find out is to run iPhoto or any iApp, click the App's name in the menu bar and select "About iWhatever."

If will tell you in bold letters which version you are running.

5. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Just did it, and I am running 09's..

So I guess thats not the problem :D

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

Move or trash the files inside. Run Software Update again.

7. celticpride678

Why would you delete the cache?

Delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate from ~/Library/Preferences

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

That plist contains no relevant data.

Please tell me what deleting that plist is going to do. I really want to know.

A corrupt cache is more likely the cause.

It would make more sense to delete the Local com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist as it at least contains some relevant data (Last check, etc) and often contains a specific CatalogURL for checking against a SUS.

Hell, it may be an improperly written receipt and the iApps are simply confused.

9. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Will this harm my computer in any where? Or is this a file that just regenerate itself when I run update again??

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It will not harm your computer and yes it will be recreated.

11. celticpride678

Want to know, I'll tell you....:rolleyes:

The com.apple.SoftwareUpdate file contains the preferences to Software Update on that user account (can't argue with that).

It is a very high possibility that the preference file for Software Update got corrupt.

Is that good for you?;)

12. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm weird.. Theres no such file at all.

Attached Files:

13. celticpride678

It won't be there...if you want to find the cache folder, go to ~/Library/Caches

14. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

I did, the above photo is from the /libraray/caches

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Oh, you mean settings like the interval for automatic updates? Or whether or not to download updates automatically?

Wrong.

com.apple.scheduler.UUID and com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.UUID handle that, and are ByHost preferences. UUID is the Hardware UUID of the machine.

And a corrupt plist is not going to produce inaccurate results from Apple's catalog. That would presume that the plist contains information about what has been updated, and it does not.

Want to try again?

16. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Deleting com.apple.SoftwareUpdate from ~/Library/Preferences didn't work

17. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I forgot the tilde in my first post.

The tilde refers to your home folder. So /Users/yourshortname/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

Also, it is best to check the actual versions of your apps. For example, iPhoto is at 8.1.2. In that same window I led you to above, you will find your version. Check that your version is the latest.

18. celticpride678

I won't try again...but congrats...welcome to my ignore list :)

OP, please try looking here: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20004377-263.html

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It is good to know you will be ignoring right answers.

20. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, this is very weird. I found the right file, and deleted it. Still didn't do anything. Software updater didn't find anything. I just looked in iPhoto and it's
    version 8.1 (415). When I press update while in iPhoto it says there's and update. But not when I press the Software Update under the apple logo in the top menu.

21. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I am curious, go to System Preferences, Software Update and click the "Installed Software" tab. What versions is it showing for iPhoto, etc.

The article linked above is incorrect as far as the location of the receipts. In 10.6 they are in /var/db/receipts with a plist and .bom associated with it.

For the Downloaded Updates, the Product ID for iPhoto 8.1.2 is 061-7748. So try that one first and we can go from there.

22. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Where do I find system preferences? I have danish version of Mac OS X, so the names are not always directly translated :)

23. celticpride678

Applications>System Preferences

24. Hostrup thread starter macrumors newbie

'Found it..

iPhoto is not even showing on the list.

25. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Click the Apple, and it should be the fourth item down the list.

Or /Applications/System Preferences.app