Solar charging the iPad: Project

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Anyone using a solar charger for their iPad? I'm thinking about making my own and it should be pretty cool when I'm finished. Just wanted to know what others are doing. :)

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
is this possible to do? it would be a wonderful invention :D i might want in!
Yes, I just got some sample regulating chips in and I'm building this covered in solar cells :D :

A solar tetrahedron idea

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I still need to get the wood and a few electronic pieces. I will post an instructable when it's done most likely. The nice thing about the shape is that it's four identical pieces to make.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
I still need to get the wood and a few electronic pieces. I will post an instructable when it's done most likely. The nice thing about the shape is that it's four identical pieces to make.
haha please do, and specs on the panels that you used etc. :p

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
haha please do, and specs on the panels that you used etc. :p
These are the cells I'm going to try first, since I can't find any triangular shaped cells, and don't really want to risk cutting and breaking larger cells.

4 cells on each side for a total of 12 cells in the array.

Cells are 2.4" by 2.4" square each.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
These are the cells I'm going to try first, since I can't find any triangular shaped cells, and don't really want to risk cutting and breaking larger cells.

4 cells on each side for a total of 12 cells in the array.

Cells are 2.4" by 2.4" square each.

fair enuf. interesting. how much do they cost roughly?

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
$8.95 for 4. I can probably get cheaper in bulk though. I'm still hunting for cells with more amps.
It would be really nice if you could meet the requirements of using it while charging. I don't know how large those panels would be though.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Question to all interested.. What's the biggest size of something like this you would mind using? Asking because it's gonna take a few cells to achieve the voltage required.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
Question to all interested.. What's the biggest size of something like this you would mind using? Asking because it's gonna take a few cells to achieve the voltage required.
to be honest, anything that is 2x the size of the ipad would be too large.

if you could make it foldable, say use 4 cells the size of the ipad - which then fold out.. that would be cool :)

oh oh do this or this!

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
to be honest, anything that is 2x the size of the ipad would be too large.

if you could make it foldable, say use 4 cells the size of the ipad - which then fold out.. that would be cool :)

oh oh do this or this!
Hmm, I like that first pic. That should collect quite a bit of sun since it's almost parabolic in nature.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
Hmm, I like that first pic. That should collect quite a bit of sun since it's almost parabolic in nature.
yes i thought it would be pretty efficient :D do you think it would work and fold up ok? would each panel roughly the size of an ipad produce enough power?

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
yes i thought it would be pretty efficient :D do you think it would work and fold up ok? would each panel roughly the size of an ipad produce enough power?
They should fold ok. Do you think demand would be great for these?

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
demand would be steady, but it wouldnt be a hit product to be honest with you.

i would certainly consider buying one though!
What about two USB ports for charging the iPhone too? Just a thought, don't know if it'd work yet.