Sold Aluminum Macbook for new 13" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nasty Roo, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Nasty Roo macrumors member

So I just sold my 2.4 GHZ, 250 HD 13" Macbook on Ebay for $1,100.00 plus shipping. I then purchased the new Macbook pro 2.26 ghz 160 HD, receiving the education discount of 100 dollars plus the free ipod touch, which I sold to a family member for 175, essentially making a profit off of upgrading. The slight decrease in processor speed (negligible) and hard drive (insignificant when taking into account I have an external) was totally worth the acquisition of FW, much longer battery life, higher quality screen, etc. Oh, and the whole it's called a Macbook Pro thing. :)

I just wanted to inform anyone who is thinking of making a similar swap that it is totally feasible, especially if you can get the education discount.

2. iBadger macrumors member

excellent, I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I've got the 2.0 MB and I noticed they sell for a decent price on ebay. I only want the newer one for the battery.

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

yeah me too, my MB's only about a month old, i don't see any point in upgrading to the new iPhone but was wondering about my macbook! Is there that much of a difference??

4. iBadger macrumors member

I think it's just the battery and supports 8GB of ram.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

just doing some research on eBay, i also get the student discount, thinking i could make some money out of an upgrade also :)

6. courboy macrumors regular

You guys got me thinking of doing this too, since I am eligible for the higher education discount.

Does anybody have an idea of how much the UMB 2.4ghz are selling for in the UK?

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

just having a look now, the bidding seems quite low, so I'll watch a few items see how much they end up selling for in a couple of days! I was expecting there to be loads, but just isn't!

8. iBadger macrumors member

I know you all have the 2.4, but I've been following auctions for the 2.0(watched 5) they all went for $900.

9. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

That seems like a pretty reasonable price for the 2.0. I think those with the 2.0 looking to upgrade to the 13" Macbook Pro are in a position to receive a fairly substantial upgrade for a very small amount of money, if any at all. Faster processor, larger HD, backlit keyboard, FireWire, SD slot, much longer battery life, and a better quality screen. This is of course assuming they can receive the ed discount and selling the free ipod touch.

10. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

so how much do you think a 2.4gz model should be worth? I'm thing of starting at £900 and see where it goes. Worst case scenario I'm loosing a couple of hundred which is hardly the end of the world, thinking of upgrading to the base 15" model!

11. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

As stated in previous posts, the new Macbook Pro also has a higher quality screen, FireWire port, SD card slot, and even the lowest model has an illuminated keyboard (which some find to be a novelty, but I find it to be extremely useful in all sorts of scenarios).

12. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

Well I was really only trying to break even when selling my 2.4, but was fortunate enough to sell it via the Buy It Now for $1,100 dollars just a few hours after posting it. So I guess what I'm hinting at is that it's possible the 2.4 Macbook could possibly sell for more, based on my own personal experience.

I also had someone message me asking to end the auction early and he would pay 1050 and free shipping, so there are definitely people eyeing Macbooks on Ebay, especially if you are willing to ship internationally.

13. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

The higher quality screen sounds good, love to have an SD card slot save carrying a silly little usb thing round, and i personally love the illuminated keyboard, using normal laptops in the dark just seems weird now lol!! But I still have no idea what a fire wire port is! Or when it would be of any use to me!!

14. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

My 2.0 went for 800.00

15. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

I personally use the FireWire port for audio recording with my home studio, but it's also used for external hard drives. FireWire is much faster than your typical USB 2.0 connection from my understanding.

16. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Oh I see what all the fuss was about then, as I said I only heard about it when Apple decided not to put it in the MB haha. And I'll definatly be shipping the old MacBook worldwide!

Just a thing I was wondering can I un-install iWork and then put it on the new MBP or will I have to buy another copy of iWork? Just waiting for pay day now so I have enough money!! :)

17. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I still don't see how you made a profit, you lost at least $399 from the original price with the education discount selling it on ebay. $1100-$1099=$1+$175= $176<$399 so you had to have lost at least $233 and that's not including any taxes or ebay fees. :confused:

18. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Nice! I just did the same thing yesterday. I sold my 2.0GHz MacBook which I got for $1275 @ macmall tax free :) and I sold it for $1000 cash hehe....

So I ordered the MacBook Pro just a few hours ago along with a 120GB iPod... so basically, even though I lost $200.00 on the MacBook, I got it back from the free iPod. Plus get a much better MacBook... a Pro! with all the small little upgrades which adds up a lot especially on an Apple product :0

19. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

I made a profit in the sense that I essentially swapped my computer for a newer,better model, plus 135 dollars in my pocket after it was all said and done(Ebay fees, shipping, etc).

I understand what you're saying, but I'm looking at it from the standpoint that I was essentially given 135 bucks to upgrade to a brand new, better computer.

20. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

How is the selling process on eBay? Can't people say they never get your laptop when they did? Then you'd be out of cash and a laptop.

21. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That is why there's signature required deliveries and among other things. Its a very smooth process on eBay. The only thing that sucks however is that Paypal will hold your funds for like 2 or 3 weeks if you arent like a power seller.

22. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

They could certainly say that, but there is a lot of protection through both Ebay and Paypal. As long as you're selling to a verified paypal member with a verified address and bank account and you're verified yourself, you're pretty well protected.

Here's a link to Paypal's seller protection:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/paypal-seller-protection.html

23. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Thanks. If I knew this I may have sold mine a week ago instead of pussyfooting around.

24. courboy macrumors regular

Just out of interest, what condition did you sell your computer in? I bought my 2.4ghz in Feb and the laptop itself is immaculate, but the charger is slightly scratched as I use the LED screen for power and the supplied charger for when i'm on the move etc.

Just wondering how much you think the scratched charger will affect things.

Also a further question, I originally purchased Apple Care with the computer and it was auto-enrolled, does this mean I cannot transfer it to the new computer if I choose to go this route?

25. uniforms macrumors regular

Apple Care

You can not transfer the apple care from one machine to another. However, the new owner will enjoy the benefit of your buying it when you purchased your machine. It will also be good to sell it advertising the remaining time of apple care on the machine.

Good luck selling it. I just got the 13" mac pro and will be selling my air with SSD on ebay. May even consider craigslist, but haven't tried that yet.