Sold Apple 4GB RAM on eBay and got screwed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Irock619, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Irock619, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I sold Apple 4GB RAM on eBay for freaking $10 and they were in perfect working order. I received a request for refund 45 days later saying that the RAM is defective and not as described. My listing said "like new and no refunds".

Well I asked PayPal to investigate because it's been 45 days since the buyer received the RAM and now all of a sudden they don't work in his computer. Why didn't the buyer contact me immediately after realizing that the RAM didn't work? How do I know that he didn't damage it himself? PayPal determined that he is subject to a refund after I receive the returned item. This is bull ****** because now I may be getting RAM that he broke. It's only $10, I am just shocked on how PayPal handled this.

Has anybody experienced this before on eBay with computer parts? Does PayPal always side with the buyer in these situations? If so, I will not be selling anymore computer hardware on eBay.

2. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Paypal has to side with the buyer. That's how retail works. The customer is always right.

Sc-rewed gets black by MacRumors? Never knew that.

Oh, and this should be moved to "Buying Tips and Advice"

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Unfortunately - Yes

Many people have stopped selling on eBay because the seller gets the short stick 90% of the time.

4. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Actually many retail stores do not accept returns on opened computer parts. Many stores have strict rules when returning computer hardware.

I fixed it, thanks!

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

Yup, and that's why I hate selling anything on E-Bay. Sold my iPod Touch on E-Bay back in 2010 for $100 on E-Bay and they wanted to take some of the fees. Yeah, that's reasonable, but the friggin' fees were $50+$20 for some additional charges. Not to mention that 10 days later the buyer asked for a refund when I stated no refunds. Paypal sided with the buyer, but I had already sent the money to my bank account, removed all my credit card info, name, address, etc. from my e-bay account/paypal account, and didn't give the buyer or e-bay anything. That iPod was in MINT condition with a full body screen protector application from a mall kiosk along with a silicone case on it. It was literally perfect.

There was no way I was going to give E-Bay $70 in stupid fees AND give the buyer a refund on an item I stated wouldn't be eligible for a refund. Thankfully I'd removed all of my CC information, address, name, etc. from PayPal and E-Bay before they could collect their "fees", so I was left with how much the iPod Touch had sold for: $100. I was happy, and haven't used E-Bay since.

Yeah, this might've been fraud, but I don't give two *****. E-Bay is a greedy company and they make millions a day.

I only use E-Bay to buy from, if ever, and since that incident with my iPod Touch, I haven't used the site since.

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

That is why I take a picture of the item before I send it and any distinctive features such as a S/N or some other unique code or marking.

If they send it back and it doesn't match the item you sent, you have a strong chance to win the case.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

ebay and paypal, which ebay owns, is a rip off and scam.

8. mohsy90, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

PayPal are effing thieves. Got a hold of two iPad 2's when they were first released, sold one for $999 to a guy in Montreal. Shipped via UPS and was held at the border for 2 weeks because guy refused to pay customs. It was sent back to me and the guy requested I send it as a gift and paid to reship. UPS delivered to his house.

Now a week later he claims to his credit card company that it was an unauthorized transaction. PayPal opens claim and i see a -$1019 ($20 fee) balance. I send all the paper work so the bank can review the information. THEY FAILED to check the second tracking and the bank made a judgment call after only checking the first tracking number, stating that the item was returned.

PAYPAL policy states they do not open claims or argue any bank judgements.
    Last 1.5yrs they have been harassing me and I finally decided I would have to settle this balance in small claims court (Ongoing, dropped the balance by half, but I aint payin them a dime)

I've used PAYPAL for years, but when things go bad, the buyer is always right and PayPal takes their back. The funny part is that the initial claim was whether the transaction was authorized, not whether he received the item or not.

Edit: Open a PayPal account and do not give any information regarding social security number and dont ever add any debit card or bank account. Use an alternate PayPal address and send money there and then deposit it into your bank account. PayPal cannot track you this way!!!! I probably have 4 paypal accounts..lol

9. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yes indeed.

10. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I strictly write
    It works. I haven't had a return for buyers remorse or anything like that, just a few returns for damaged products (like my PowerMac..)

11. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

This.

I have no idea how eBay / PayPal get away with all the stuff they do wrong. If possible, always avoid using eBay/PayPal. Most people learn the hard way. Others should listen. Seriously, avoid them. I wish I could easily sue them and I know I'm not alone.

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

As someone whose in a small claims suit against PayPal for $1019, It is truly sad how many people get screwed by eBay and PayPal. There is an entire website called paypalsucks.com. The stories on there are unbelievable. PayPal has alot of lawsuits against them but for most, they just give in instead of going through a lengthy and possibly expensive process through court.

13. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

This is unbelievable! I didn't realize so many people (mostly sellers) have issues with eBay/PayPal. I have sold many things on eBay and never had issues until now. I'm just glad it's only $10 in this case, but it still doesn't make it right.

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

For 99% of the users, everything goes smoothly. i've had well for 500 transactions go without a blunder. But this one issue (above) has made me absolutely despise PayPal and eBay. I always try marketplace forums or craigslist before heading to eBay.

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Almost anything electronic, that can be broken by the buyer I sell on craigslist. I used to sell my electronics on ebay until I sold an RROD xbox for parts, but when the seller received it he complained it didn't work, gave me negative feedback and filed a complaint with Paypal. Paypal sided with the buyer, refunded his money and never made him ship back the xbox. WTF? I lost 60 bucks and the xbox.

16. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

I just sold a PS3 for parts for $50. The buyer got it working and thanked me. Luckily I didn't have the same scenario as you, I'd be furious!

17. racer1441 macrumors 68000

It's all about experience. I am 100% the oposite.

I have enough layers between me and ebay, paypal doesn't scare me. Similar to what the guy above has done.

Now, on the flip side, I will never deal with craigslist. The perverts and degenerates that I have had to deal with is one thing, but the final straw was when I actually had to pull my concealed handgun. Never again on craigslist.

18. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I've had to learn the hard way that "layers" are needed. All my eBay and PayPal accounts are aliases, the ones that were under my name, i've either shut them down or PayPal did.

I only do craigslist dealings in public places, my barnes and noble on a saturday morning is my preferred location. Luckily I havent run into those you mentioned above.

19. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

Never...never....never trust Payfraud. I sold an iPhone on eBay. Guy bought it, I mailed it, he gave me positive feedback.....6 weeks later he challenges the charges. I provide Payfraud with all the paperwork and they side with the guy who screwed me. I then get an email telling me to contact the guy and ask for my iPhone back! Are you freaking kidding me? So, I lost my iPhone and had to Paypal the cost. Don't ever trust Payfraud!!

20. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

Unlike the guy above I only do Craigslist! Cash money. It's simple..just meet in a public place.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I take it the buyer didn't leave any feedback when he got it? I would have pushed for feedback.

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Mine was in a public place!

23. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

No he didn't leave any feedback. I've sold things over two years ago and still haven't received any feedback lol!

24. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

It really is sad how paypal handles things. I personally have never sold on ebay, mostly due to the outrageous fees. Now there's another reason to avoid it! I like that idea of alias accounts, though. Nice seller security, since apparently paypal doesn't care.

25. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I hate that. I should have around 75 feedbacks posted but only have around 22 (for selling). And once you push them for it you rusk getting negative feedback -_- it is a terrible system.