Sold iPhone For Parts/Repair Buyer Opened Case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MyiBill, Mar 13, 2014.

1. MyiBill macrumors 6502

So I recently sold an iPhone on ebay and it was missing the screen, I listed it for parts/repair and said I don't know the history since I bought it in a lot. The phone was also slightly bent which I stated. Now the buyer has had the item over 3 weeks and opened a case saying the screen doesn't work.

2. RRF985 macrumors member

As long as you can prove the listing said for parts only and that the screen was not included you should be fine.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

As long as your description was clear that it was missing the screen and sold as is ebay should take your side.

4. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

You didnt sell it to the guy asking about a screen replacement a few threads down? Lol jk.

As mentioned if you did stated that the screen does not work the you should be good.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Typical eBay scam.
    Not worth selling there any more and dealing with the bs and back and forth.

6. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Agreed.

Meanwhile, FleaBay collects millions of dollars in fees every day without barely lifting a finger.

7. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Exactly. I haven't in years and don't plan on selling there any time soon.

8. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

It's really not I used to be really into it years ago and just recently got going with it again and I'm having problems left and right. I've been listing for parts/repair even if it works just so the buyer can't say anything but they still do. In this particular listing I stated it had no screen and had pictures of it missing the screen and showing the bend. When I had it iTunes would still restore it and now the buyer says nothing happens. I feel that they bought it thinking they could repair it and it ended up being too hard and now they don't want to deal with it.

9. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

time after time after time with these ebay problems. people still use them for selling expensive used electronics. there must be more scam/problem deals then good ones.

people need to just use gazelle or something and take the loss.

10. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

If only this was true, I had a similar situation and ebay/paypal still sided with the buyer.

11. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is a link to the description: http://m.ebay.com/itm/181327757578?txnId=0

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your description is spot on and cant get any clearer than that.
    But like said eBay is full of scammers and most likely Paypal and eBay will side with the buyer like they usually do.
    Not worth the aggravation IMO. I had to jump through so many hoops and deal with so much BS to get my money last time that I'm never bothering selling there again.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Did you actually follow all of Ebay and Paypal's rules to the letter? I've rarely heard of someone getting screwed over if they actually were careful and followed all the rules, most of the time they didn't bother with something that they felt was insignificant and then it comes back to hurt them.

It looks good, I'm thinking the person just read the title, and glanced quickly at the picture without reading the description. Your title doesn't make it clear that it is for parts, but the rest of the listing does so I think you should still be ok.

14. 617aircav Suspended

OP you will win the case. eBay will read your listing and decide in your favor. Same happened to me with an iphone with bad imei. I won my case against the buyer because the item was actually as described.

15. rmhop81, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

The problem is the phone hasn't been fully tested. Sure it may recognize in iTunes but when the screen is replaced does it really work? I think where he makes the mistake is saying he doesn't know much about it since he didn't personally use the device.

He has another auction up and same thing no screen, but indicates in the title that the phone works. His definition it works, but an eBay buyer may have a different definition of works.

Very risky to sell items like this and not go into greater detail with warnings etc.....

His wording sets himself up for a potential issue if someone wants to take advantage of the process.

Also, his other auctions contradict this first one. Another one states he can't confirm iCloud Bc the screen doesn't work...but the first one he doesn't mention.

Very poor wording and I wouldn't be surprised if PayPal ruled in the buyers favor.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If all of this is true, I am honestly not sure what you are worried about here. Escalate it and have someone at eBay take a look. They WILL side with you.

I have had two cases opened against me in items sold "for parts". Both went in my favor because I explicitly explained the condition of the item in the listing.

17. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to just escalate it but apparently eBay got rid of the sellers ability to do so and now the buyer can only do it. I'd rather just get it over with.

As for the other listings this one actually had a SIM card in it so I was able to test it further but I made the mistake of sending it with the device by accident.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's unfortunate. I guess you just have to sit and wait, but don't stop communication with the buyer (my advice). Make it clear to the buyer that you noted that this was for parts and that if they want to do anything further they should escalate it via ebay.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't know, when it clearly states it's in no working order and sold for parts then you're just basicly buying an unknown phone with missing parts and issues.
    You don't keep it for over 3 weeks and then decide you want your money back now.

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Yeah but why are you selling something that you don't know the actual working condition? And to not really do any tests on the device is just asking for trouble....especially on ebay. Do these kinda transactions on craigslist.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I would put unknown working condition or something like that.
    Not everyone knows how to test every component like that though.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The thing is there is literally a section and definition of this type of product right inside of eBay. And item (properly) listed as "for parts or not working" is 100% buyer's risk. So long as you are actually shipping what is described in the listing, you (seller) are 100% in the right.

Unfortunately, due to a ton of illegal activity, eBay has become stupidly strict these days. I recently got my account moderated for selling pokemon games (because fakes exist and I didn;t have a high enough sell count in the last few months). I was selling copies of X and Y (of which fakes do not exist). It's impossible for eBay to keep tabs on every listing, so sometimes the honest person gets screwed because of dishonest people in the past.

I still think the OP has a very good chance of winning this, especially if he/she has some good feedbacks and has been around ebay longer than a couple of months. If the buyer claims he got something totally different (ie a my little pny plus rather than an iPhone), then things COULD get a little tought since it is hard to prove what was actually sent without images/video/etc.)

23. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Yes it's listed under there, but most of his listings say WORKS! In the title. Not trying to argue, but u have to be super careful selling stuff you have no history of. He makes it appear like u just add a screen and it's an easy fix, when he truly has no idea if the phone even works at all.

24. lordofthereef, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I was unaware of this regarding the specific listing. I hadn't looked at any of them. I was simply speaking in terms of eBay listing rules.

EDIT: Actually I just looked at the specific link that the OP posted and nowhere does it claim "works". He is actually rather specific on what he is able to guarantee with this specific unit. What his other listings say is completely irrelevant in terms of THIS sale.

He did nothing wrong here, assuming he is truthful in the information he listed and provided us. The buyer is either attempting to scam him/ebay or was just a trigger-happy idiot when buying the phone (also not the seller's fault).

25. 617aircav Suspended

You should not list items as working if you have not tested it to work. Your are very correct. List it as sold for parts.