Sold iphone on eBay....Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BFW122083, Jun 12, 2011.

1. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I just sold my iPhone 4 on eBay. In the last 10 seconds or so a buyer swooped in that is located in Russia, but has a US shipping address. I verified the address with USPS, but google maps has it in the middle of a field...? He has nothing put positive feedback and has been a member for about 8 months. Would you guys be on the fence with this one? Here is the guys profile... http://myworld.ebay.com/tim-tv/

He paid immediately, the money is in my account.

My email from paypal says the address is confirmed, but when I log into paypal it says unconfirmed...weird.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. What do you think?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Refund him the money and tell him you only ship to confirmed address.
    This way you are protected and won't lose the iPhone and money.

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

+1

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

He purchased three iPhone 4s on the same day (yours included)- June 12th.

I'd be concerned. The above suggestion is excellent advise.

5. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks applejuiced,

That's what my gut is telling me to do. Weird thing is how my email from paypal says confirmed, but when I log in it says unconfirmed. This is already a relistng...the first buyer was a scammer that wanted paypal info. Im not having much luck :(

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

It was probably a fake email that was sent to you. May wanna try Craigslist.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's tons of scams on eBay. Makes me worry when I sell items there.
    Even with confirmed addresses some say that there was no phone in the box or try to return it to you and get a refund from paypal and send back a rock in the package. Many horror stories. It's a hit or miss.

8. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even think about the email being fake. It does seem to be hit or miss. I had success selling my 1st gen iPad, but the first buyer for that was a scam too. I have it on craigslist, but have been getting nothing but crap from there also. Anyone want a black iPhone 4 lol?!

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Call PayPal and ask them if it is good. They are there and will confirm.

10. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

The email I got is from the guys gmail account, not paypal...

11. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

It's a scam refund him
    Even his feedback is dodgy all similarly worded

Avoid him and report to eBay.

12. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

The issue here is eBay no longer allows you to block other countries if they have a US shipping address. Their US addresses are just forwarding services. Even though you have Seller protection if the address IS confirmed it is still no guarantee since they can still do a chargeback on their debit or credit cards. Also, for seller protection you need to ship within 7 days and have signature confirmation. Paypal sometimes gives your money back if they do a chargeback but it can take 3-6 months. An easier way to screen buyers is to make a fixed price listing with a higher end price and add the best offer option without automatically accepting offers. This way no one is likely to pay the listing price but if you manually accept or decline offers you can screen out buyers during the process. It sometimes takes a bit longer to sell this way but can be worth the trouble.

13. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

I noticed how half of his feedback was exactly the same....reporting him now....

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If it smells like fish... It's probably fish. :D

15. iphoneos macrumors newbie

iphoneos

How much do u want for it?

=]

16 or 32
    Black or white
    Some scraches
    any issues
    box with everything
    whats missing?

16. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sent you a p.m. :)

17. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Do this. Right now I am having problems with paypal that my confirmed address shows unconfirmed in the emails they sent out, they are looking into it. Paypal has problems with this.

18. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Check the header to see where it really came from. All emails from paypal payments have the payers address in the from field so you can easily reply.

19. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

There's a saying in a South American country that really fits this thread: he who avoids the chance avoids danger. So basically, if you're in doubt, don't do it. Play it safe.

20. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maxburn,

The address was showing confirmed in the email, but unconfirmed on the website. I issued a refund and opened up a case on eBay. It just all seems fishy. Buying the white i4 and selling the black isn't turning out to be as easy as I thought lol.

21. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Another saying is buy the seller. If you aren't comfortable with it back out by all means.

Make sure you go through the right process so you get your seller fees refunded in ebay.

22. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Just saying, if it is wrong one way it can be wrong the other. There are a lot of flags on this one so probably smart to back out of this one.

23. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Refund the money.

24. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Looks legit to me. Look at the times he is buying. All iPhone stuff and he has all possitive ratings. If the money is in your account, maybe have it sent to you first. Then send the phone. As long as you get paid, who cares if it goes to a field...lol. I dont ship to international addreses but , this one is in the US. I understand your concerns though. If your not comfortable with it, back out.

25. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would suggest reading up on how you can be scammed taking the advice you just gave.