Sold my 24" iMac, what now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solowmodel, Jan 19, 2011.

1. solowmodel macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I sold my 24" iMac last week with the idea of getting a new iMac, and have spent time pondering 21.5" vs 27", i3 vs i5 vs i7. However, recently I have been thinking of just waiting for the 'Sandy Bridge' updates because as far as I understand, they are not too far away and will bring significant updates.

My other computers are a 2008 15"MBP and a 11" MBA (christmas present before you ask!). I travel somewhat and don't mind the two laptop scenario; however, when at home, I do miss the big screen real estate.

My uses are pretty basic, no hardcore rendering/manipulation/editing etc. However, I do a lot of research and like to have a lot of safari windows, PDFs, and word files open at the same time - hence the appreciation for larger screens.

I would like something 'future-proof' but realise that over-kill would be a waste of money.

In my shoes, what would you do?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If I were you, I'd get one of these

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC510LL/A?mco=MTkwMzU2NDg

Sweet specs, super nice price

I don't think the wait for the upgrade would be worth it imo; especially for your uses. And its not like we're talking about the iMacs having a Core 2 duo like the 13" MBP, it already has a Core iX processor.

In fact, for your uses, you wouldn't notice the difference between a Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz and a Core i7 3.6ghz (I'm not even sure if they make those!)

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do what I did, buy a 27" i7 with 16GB of RAM. I just got mine yesterday. Although I kept my 24" iMac and am using it elsewhere now. I thought about waiting for Sandy Bridge too, and while it will bring upgraded performance, I feel that it will not be significant. What was significant was the jump from the C2D 3.06GHz CPU, 6GB 800MHz RAM in the 24" to the i7 2.93GHz quad core with 16GB 1333MHz RAM in the 27". Now that is a huge jump. I doubt you will get that big of a jump in the new Sandy Bridge iMac's later this year. That, unless of course you're going from a CD or a C2D CPU.

See my thread from earlier today: Blown Away

4. solowmodel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys.

I should mention that the iMac would be purchased in the UK, and student discount would be available. To add to my uses, some gaming is done and HD movies/tv shows are watched frequently.

I'm just curious as to what other people would do. It's always a question of 'what do I need' vs. 'what do I want' ^^

5. T-bag Guest

I'm on the fence too. Almost bought a brand new 27" iMac with i7 like 3 times in 2 hours. The main thing holding me back is all the issues I've read about the screen (yellow, condense, light bleed). I also worry a little about the glossy screen (I don't want an overprices mirror). Sandy Bridge wont make a big difference for me I think. It's all down to this: Do you want to have your new computer now, and risk that some people have a better machine, or do you want to wait and have the best and latest for a short period of time? :) I'm not saying it's easy, cause I'm having the exact same problem deciding :D

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well I wouldn't worry too much about the issues you've described. I feel that they are overblown as with most things Apple. Some people seem to think Apple should make each and every single product perfectly and when a few come off the line in less than perfect condition, it's like the stock market crash of the 1920's; the world is going to end.

I just bought a refurb 27" iMac i7 and it came in this last Tuesday. See my reaction and review of it in my other thread: Blown Away.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a purchase now. And if you do by oddball chance get one with some defect, Apple will take care of you and replace it.