Sold my iPad 3 on eBay. :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jbachandouris, Oct 12, 2012.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I sold my beloved, but rarely used, iPad 3 on eBay last night as paying rent (which I still haven't paid and today is the 12th), but of course, the winner didn't pay yet (6:30PM EST, now 9:30AM EST the next day).

Honestly, I would love an 'I changed my mind' email as I really don't want to sell it, but once again, need to pay rent.

Anyway, just needed to 'talk' to people who would understand...:(

2. skedssays macrumors newbie

3. iRCL macrumors 6502

I sold my wife's iPhone 4 and my iPhone 4 on eBay. One of them was paid for immediately, business as usual

The other one, the person asked like 5 questions (after winning) and refused to pay. Relisted it. Next person bought it, didn't pay, didn't respond to any contact. Relisted it. Person bought it @ BIN this morning. 5 hours later, no payment, no contact.

SO irritating.

eBay is trash now. You would have been far better off selling on Craigslist. Me too probably

GL

4. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Craigslist? Now in my area.

When the iPad was less than a month old (plastic still on the device), no serious offers were made. I received plenty of low ball offers; NO I'm not giving it away!

The others were scammers and SPAM fishers. The SPAM fishers would ask 'Is the item still available and is it in good condition' and when I responded they would SPAM me 'adult content' emails.

So in my case Craigslist was not better.

5. dchao macrumors 6502a

Use the "immediate payment required option"

But IMO, CL is rubbish for electronic gadgets, but not bad for large bulk items.

@OP, hope you have learnt your lesson, you should have managed you finance a little bit better.

6. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

"eBay is trash now. You would have been far better off selling on Craigslist. Me too probably"

I've been studying ebay for 15 years. It is in tatters, thanks to the former CEO Meg (hey look, I'm CEO of HP now) Whitman.
    I still use it for picking up hard to locate stuff but the days when I could net $1,000 a week selling my stuff are long gone. It's basically a front end for 'China' now.

Having said this, MOST smart people are using ebay as an advertising front end, actually transacting the sales OUTSIDE ebay. That's what I do now.

One other point. If the sale of one electronic device means one month's rent, you'd better get a job, any job. What will you do next month ????

7. jbachandouris, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Even at 7.8% unemployment that means at least 30 Million people out of work. Obviously I WAS working when I bought it. And its hard to manage what you don't have. The wife watches kids out of the house and brings in very little income. I am starting a new contract job in a week, but when you're overwhelmed, 'managing' is extremely difficult.

8. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I hear ya. It's tough out there...Hope you find some steady employment soon. Keep your head up. :)

9. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Thanks for understanding.

10. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

eBay will tear into your selling price and rake in the fees. you should have sold on craigslist and stated in the terms of the sale that you will meet at the Apple Store to verify the device and complete the sale.

with the iPad fully reset to factory settings prior to arrival....

meet the buyer outside of the Apple Store. go up to an Apple Store employee and ask for some assistance in setting up the iPad. with both of you there, employee will walk the buyer through setting it up. once it's all set up and he uses it for a few minutes, he will see that it works. he gives you payment right there. then ask the Genius bar to transfer the AppleCare+ warranty to the buyer's name.

that's how my friend did it, and it was a really pleasant experience.

11. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Lucky for him. As previously stated, I tried Craigslist already and had NO luck at all. Only low ballers and scammers.

And yes, I am well aware of eBay's fees, but its the 12th and the landlady wants her money. I didn't think I had any other choice.

BTW, the 'buyer' still hasn't paid or contacted me at all.

12. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Yep, I agree. Craigslist has gone down the pooper lately too. I've just been listing stuff on my facebook page lately. I sold one thing so far so good.

13. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Ugh, I have never had a pleasant experience as a seller on Craigslist, always something posted locally but get emails about how they "just shipped out to [insert third world country here] and would I mind shipping the product" and so on. The one time somone said they would meet at a mutually agreed upon location, they never showed.

Ironically, I have purchased a few things off CL (including 2 cars) and have never had a problem as a purchaser.

14. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I used to love to sell stuff on eBay but now I always try to sell to someone I know first. Plus PayPal charges are an awful lot.

Buying from small businesses still seems fine, though. In fact I just bought Applecare from a guy on eBay and saved almost 35% on two of them. All legit.

15. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Sorry to hear about this OP, but keep your head up.

I won't even bother with eBay or Craigslist anymore. Had a horrible selling experience with someone that bought my first gen iPad. It was in perfect condition and he comes back, on the day it was received, that the digitizer was bad and it would be $150 to replace. So I went along with him, found him on FB and the moron was trying to sell the same iPad as "near mint condition". Called him out on it, won't sell on there again.

You guys may want to search Facebook Groups for something called "Swip Swap", in your area, of course. I'm not sure if it's just in Central Florida, but it's similar to Craigslist, but there's all locals on it. Granted, the majority of the people treat it like a garage sale, trying to get everything for nothing, but i was able to pull in $300 for an iPad 2 that I paid $349 for, 6 months prior to and have sold quite a few higher priced items on there. Just another possible avenue to sell at. I opted to sell my 4s (32gb) to gamestop a few weeks back, so as to not have to deal with the hassles of low balling since SS basically was flooded with iPhones when the 5 was announced. I wound up getting $279 for it when I paid $299. I know it was worth more, but I wanted it gone w/out the headaches of dealing with selling it.

16. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

Not iPad related but thought I'd share...

My unlocked iPhone 4 32gb is listed on Craigslist right now for $300. A mother emailed me this week asking if I can go down to $260. I told her no, and that I was firm on $300 but I'll gladly wait until she gets more funds if she really wants it. She responds saying she doesn't have enough, but could possibly take $10-15 from her daughter's piggy bank... I told her it may not be best for her to be wanting an iPhone if it'll resort to her stealing from her daughter's piggy bank.

SMH... Some people these days. Lol.

17. henchman macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's just sad.

----------

And OP, I suggest you focus on the needs, not the wants.
    Purchasing an iPad3 and a 64gb iPhone 5, doesn't seem like smart decisions, unless you have a steady, steady job. Or 6-12 months of expenses in the bank, to get you through items when you become unemployed.

18. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I don't know what's worse...her actually stealing money from her daughter's piggy bank or the fact that she thinks it is normal enough behavior to tell a stranger about it.

19. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Could just be someone using the sympathy card to get the lower price. I know this is pushing the topic that much further off course, but if I had a 3gs or maybe even a 4, I would gladly pay $400 for a 32gb 4s, given it was in good condition. Sucks that the market for these has gotten so large that it's driven the pricing down so far. I mean even at $300, it's cheaper than getting one on contract. (saving taxes). Sorry OP for the mini rant thing I did there.

20. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

But, there's ALWAYS money for cigarettes!!! At $6/pack, yet!

21. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

I thought that may have been the case too (sympathy), but then again, if she was serious about having to take money from a piggy bank, I'd rather not deal with her and assist in what she's doing, even though I MAY have considered $260.

IXDoubleDXI I agree, I think $300 for an unlocked iPhone 4 32gb is a good deal on my part (with a whole bunch of extras to add on). But like what a lot of people are doing, I may end up just holding on to it as an iPod Touch. Can't use it as a backup phone as I switched over to Verizon from AT&T.

And OP, I know exactly how you feel. I was in a position a few years back where I had to sell my original iPad (and a few photography equipment) because of being laid off to pay for necessities, but things will turn back around I'm sure. Now, I was able to recoup my loss and got a new iPad and new photography equipment. Don't think of it as a goodbye to your iPad, but as a see you next time (as corny as that may be :)

22. SirAvila macrumors newbie

So what's a fair offer on a iPad 3 16gb , wifi only? i'm trying to buy one used but they go around $450 , might as well get a new one for another $50.. plus tax an all.

23. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

You know you can require the buyer to pay as soon as they hit "buy it now". If they don't pay the listing stays up. Why would you not turn this on?

----------

Your talking about "Refurbished " from Apple right?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

24. Rodster macrumors 68040

I've had good results on Craigslist. The thing with CL is you need to find your right button price and stick to it. I sold a mint HP 32GB TouchPad for $165 firm and it was gone in 4 hours.

25. eric89074 macrumors member

I think $425 outside of ebay for mint condition with box and all accessories is fair. $400 if anything is missing. The going rate on ebay is about $450 but ebay and paypal take a 13% cut.

When selling on ebay use buyer restrictions to prevent non payment. Require the buyer have a paypal account, no negative feedback, non payments within the last 6 months etc. I do this and have never had anyone not pay within a day of the auction close.