Sold new mba and staying with ipad2

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nychot, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

After much soul searching i returned my mba to bestbuy today. I had 3 days left on my 14 day return policy but i wanted to beat hurrucane irene. First off, i loved the mba -- for its sleek design, great screen and speed. But i realized that in the almost 2 weeks that i had it i hardly ever used it. Almost afraid to pick it up and injure it. It looks fragile. I have a 2010 mac mini -- great -- attached to a big screen monitor on which i do my work -- i work at home. When not working the ipad 2 is my main entertainment platform -- from movies to internet radio to buying stuff etc etc etc. The mba struck my aesthetic sense -- the 2010 11 inch base model that i got new in a special deal from bestbuy for $750 with a free apple tv. But it made no sense keeping it because the ipad did all my fun stuff and the mini all my work stuff. I wont even go into all the other computers -- laptop, netbook UGH older desktops -- in the house. I hated to see the mba go but it just wasnt justified. Moreover, if the mba air us your main computer, or business travelling companion fine, but if its a second computer for fun the ipad is a better chouce because it does it all.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

A bit of an overstatement :D as the MBA runs literally CIRCLES around the iPad i terms of what it can do. But if you don't NEED to do any of those things, and the iPad suits you fine away from your main computer, then congratulations! You have found gadget zen. :D

3. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

Not for me. I currently use a MacBook as my primary and only computer, and I'm willing to let go of the iPad and MacBook for a MacBook air. Whenever I'm out with the iPad, I definitely miss the full OS and the keyboard. Although I'd love the 10 hour battery on a MacBook.

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Depends on your needs. For my use, an iPad is not a better choice as a second computer because it is geared for consumption. I'd hate to have to right a large proposal or program on it, while I'd have no issues doing that on my MBA. Now if you surf the web, email, play games, etc., the iPad would be fine and a MBA overkill.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

a daring post OP, don't you know this is a MBA forum where ipads are considered toys?

No matter, I understand, I own both and don't see them conflicting at all, what the IPad does well, the MBA can't do: reading and perusing content, using on a couch or handing it to someone else to show them something. You could not give a MBA to my wife, who loves to surf and sit outside on the dock. An pad is one handed and oh yeah, there's that 3G thing - yeah I know I can dongle a MBA, but with an iPad I have internet everywhere...

But not dissing a MBA, when I need to create content, nothing beats the portability, keyboard and mouse of an MBA for doing that.

They really don't overlap....

6. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

Horses for courses - whatever suits your needs. :)

I own an iPad and I got my MBA as a step up from it - no more touchscreen with these big, stubby fingers, no more greasy fingerprints and a nice keyboard and trackpad and much more network friendliness for doing stuff too! I much prefer my Air but I do miss the iPad's battery life! :)

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hey OP, good choice. I don't see what all the fuss is in this thread? The OP already specified that he has a Mac Mini to do work on at home. If the iPad does "all" the things he/she needs, then I say good choice. It's cheaper, smaller, and lighter.

What would have been a really daring post is if the OP had done away with both the MBA and Mac Mini for the iPad. ;)

8. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

You're not the only one who has sold the mba and gone back to the ipad 2. However, I can not fathom why people would do this.

I wonder if I'm too old school now, because I do not find a compelling use case for tablets that makes me more productive. Fun, yes. Productive, no. And clearly I value productivity. So that's where I'm coming from.

My argument hinges on the primacy of text input. It's the key to interacting with your computer/tablet. Real buttons, less confusion on my intended actions. Capacitive buttons by Apple are SIGNIFICANTLY better than any others that I have used. Still, I simply can't use the onscreen keyboard for any length of time. I think that a physical keyboard is a necessity, and if the ipad had that, then we're talking a whole new ballgame. But that, to me, is the macbook air 11". Also, I find that I want to prop the ipad up most of the time when interacting with it, rather than holding it with my hand. Again, an 11" air with the keyboard acting as your "base" holds up the screen for you to view it, i.e., when reading or when watching a movie.

The ipad is fun for sure, but when it comes to efficiency, I'd be interested in seeing how much more/less productive a person is when using an ipad and air for identical tasks. I'm not talking about for writing essays. I would bet that even for replying to simple emails using 5 sentences or less, using a real laptop is going to run circles around an ipad.

The ipad is more portable and has longer battery life, but in my opinion, people who are carrying around an ipad + a wireless keyboard aren't really saving as much weight as they think they are. And, I'd say that at 2.39 or whatever pounds or less, there are rapidly diminishing returns on perceived weight and portability. In other words, 2.39 pounds (a macbook air 11) is already so light that the argument that an ipad may have worse text input (virtual keyboard) but so much better portability and battery life justifies its use doesn't fly with me. Because I don't think that the portability of an ipad and an 11" air is markedly different, and that gap shrinks even more when you include people who are using an ipad with a wireless keyboard. Battery life to me is fine because I don't know anyone who can concentrate for more than 5 hours at one time anyway. I'd further argue that doing 5 hours of work on an air would equate to 8 hours on an ipad (wild guess).

I see the argument for having both an air and an ipad. And that argument is this: if you can afford it, then sure, why not? They're not exactly the same device and there are fun things that you can do with a touch interface. But what I'm saying is that if you had to choose one, I can not see why so many are choosing the ipad. I even had an ipad GIVEN to me, and I barely use it. Again, maybe I'm resistant to change or something. But I have found that the early criticism of the tablet market in general is spot on--it's a middle ground that is not ultra mobile and always-in-your-pocket as a smartphone, nor as full-fledged as an ultraportable notebook.

9. FAsnakes macrumors regular

I have both a new MBA & an iPad2..
    Honestly, i find myself struggling to use the iPad.

The challenging thing for me is: I picked the ipad2 up from target which gives me a 90 day return policy - but, I've already spent roughly $100 bucks on apps.. .

We'll have to see.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think the key point to consider is that different folks have different needs, and thus different devices are "better" for them. Its a personal thing.

When I'm out an about on weekends, I'd never take the MBA with me. But I will pick up my iPad. With instant on and 3G it is a very useful and convenient tool, and I prefer it over my smart phone for web browsing. But when I need to get some work done, the iPad is just not there yet.

11. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Haha, me too. I sold my iPad 2 though cuz I ended up NEVER using it. I do have to agree with some people and say it's mostly a toy. A toy that does what your iPhone can, and nothing more.

I won't buy another tablet until they become more useful

12. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a quick response -- in order to listen to music or internet radio etc you cant even close the screen unless you install a 3rd party app that actually keeps the screen ON when its closed. Not so with the ipad whuvh you can carry around and listen like a slim portable radio. As i said i think the mba is a nice machine but the ipad does a lot more entertaining things a lot bettter without a keybiard attached.:D

13. mortenandersen, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

A post of utmost importance!

I would really really hope that Apple takes this message from the quoted post. I agree with the reasoning, but have a further idea, an idea not primarily concerning the relationship between iPad and Air 11,6" (important as that is), but instead in the footprint area between the iPadMacBookAir 11,6" and iPhone (but much closer to the iPhone) because what I have in mind is a kind of smartphone with good productive possibilities.

So: a very good idea would be to create a NEW product, like a modernized version of the old Nokia Communicator or Psions: A very pocketable device, but not too small for doing well the text input in a convenient way, a device that also can be used as a phone and at the same time used for all the office tasks that many many users need and have asked for a long time, without being heard by the tech-industry, which seems to have focused far too much on the entertainment side of things, of consuming, not productivity.

So listen and be aware of the importance of the post I have quoted: This is a really BIG APPLE need for the future, and I hope Steve Jobs and Tim Cook are reading this and will take the action so that such a device with a physical keyboard in a clamshell manner will appear!

14. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. But i dont need an adjunct to my desktop thus the ipad. My point wss thst if you dknt need an EXTRA full blown computer the ipad is more fun and more interesting than a mba. My wife who works on a 2010 ima and i recently sold our whute macbooks because we became so attached to thd ioad.

15. glen e macrumors 68030

Mazda has just equipped all their dealership sales staff with ipads
    United has just equipped all their pilots with ipads to eliminate their flight bags and maps
    Many yacht builders are transferring their maps to ipads for their captains...
    Hyundai puts their owner's manual on an Ipad now for their high end cars
    Many hospitals in the nation is now using pads to keep patient records and to use by nurses on their shifts

Notice they did not choose a laptop - you can't do business standing up with a clamshell information dispensing device ...it's that simple...

Yeah, it's a toy....

16. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually havent had the need to do it, but with the apple bluetooth keyboard, which i love and the great apple maguc trackpad you coukd writr that proposal on an ipad and even print it out and with icloud send it to a real computer for clean up. I recently read a kind if tongue and cheek piece -- but maybe not -- that the future of apple computers will actually be like the ipad.

----------

Correctomundo

----------

Target has 90 days? Wow!

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

why keep it if you have no need for a portable computer ... personally I prefer to take a computer with me so a tablet would not make sense.

18. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Iphone vs ipad

The ipad is FAR from being a toy. Thats just stupid. But it is a blown up iphone because they both can pretty much do the same thing. But i'll bet you dont think of your beloved iphone assuming yoh have one as a toy. If i needed one i'd def have an iphone.

----------

And look whats happening in the publishing and journalism worlds -- all tablet oriented.

19. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I use iPad2 for travel, taking to work, etc to play movies and surf the web.
    I use MBA 13" for surfing the web, some photo and video work (nothing major).
    I use iMac 27" for photo, video work, surfing etc with a good size screen.

Everyone has their own comfort set up. Right now, I'd rather have a new mini and a Dell 24" Ultrasharp over the 27" iMac which really is too large. I sincerely hope the iMac 24" comes back. But I digress.....

Get what suits you. I don't see the ipad as a replacement for a computer. Nice interface, but I just cannot do photo editing, spreadsheet work, word processing, etc on an iPad.

20. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I can't fathom why people feel the need to share stuff like this. Are people lonely and feel that they just have to say something?

21. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Funny you should say that. I feel the exact same way... but in regards to my iPad.

I notice I've just used it less and less as time's gone on. The iPad just seems like a large nintendo DS nowadays. :p

22. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

The importance of sharing experiences...

To me it's important to share these experiences, regarding formfactors, form and functions for different kinds of use, pocetabiility, mobility, etc. etc.

Such sharings may also ultimately perhaps result in further development of better or even new products.

23. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

the iPad is mostly for entertainment and a little productivity. its size and portability is a big bonus. makes it great for some work environments. (pilots, nurses, etc.)

the Mac air is good for doing anything. it just doesn't fit into all situations. like standing, walking around with it.

take your pick. :D it's your needs and your choice, so be a happy consumer and use what works best for you. :) :apple:

24. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I have an iMac as my main computer at home. I have a PC at work.

I purchased a MBA (11") because I thought I would really wanted the keyboard. But now that I've got the MBA - I'm thinking it's overkill, and wishing I'd just bought an iPad 2. (I had the iPad 1)

I really wish the MBA had a 3G chip in it. It would really be great if it had that. But the fact that I can't connect it to the internet to access emails, etc. is a real killer for me. Maybe if AT&T would get off their Mobile Hotspot high horse...

I'm also a little disappointed with the status of Mac apps. WAY too expensive and frankly not very much out there.

Oh well. My 14 days are up - so I can't return it. The MBA is a great little machine.

25. OSMac macrumors 65816

Nicest thing about the iPad is the screen,
    or maybe its better said the washed out Air
    screen leaves one wishing for better.

Maybe Steve is right this is the post PC era?