Sold phone, buyer's number showing up on iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by NewbieCanada, Sep 26, 2014.

1. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I sold someone my iPhone 5 tonight. I erased and restored before selling it.

As soon as he put his sim card in it and activated it, his phone number shows up on iMessage. I didn't enable it of course, but I want it gone, and of course I want the buyer to be able to use all the features.

I've dissociated the old phone from find my iPhone and my support profile. is there a way to disassociate it from my Apple ID?

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

That would suggest your Apple id is signed in on his device.

3. whsbuss, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Login into appleid.apple.com and its under manage devices - to remove trusted devices.

4. NewbieCanada thread starter macrumors 68030

It would, but he doesn't know my Apple ID, let alone my password. When he set it up he skipped adding an ID.

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Did you try what whsbuss suggested?

6. andrewket macrumors regular

What did you restore from? Erase everything shouldn't require a restore.

7. NewbieCanada thread starter macrumors 68030

If I do that I have to change my password - my apple ID dates back to 2007 and doesn't have any numbers in the password. I wouldn't care, except passwords with a capital letter and numbers are a bloody pain to enter on the iPhone. Don't want to suffer for the rest of my life over this.

----------

It wasn't restored. Just activated (by him)

8. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Why do you have to change your password to login & disassociate the phone from your account?

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Login on a PC or Mac

10. chrfr macrumors 603

The other option is to keep using a weak 7 year old password and allow the buyer of your phone to continue to access your iMessages. You're several years overdue for changing your password.

11. NewbieCanada thread starter macrumors 68030

Because logging in to appleid.apple.com leads to:

Improve Your Password.
    Your password is easy to guess. Please choose a stronger one.

And it won't let me proceed further. My password is good enough when spending money, but not when trying to manage the account.

I hate Uppercase1 style passwords with a passion on the iPhone. i really don't want to give up my lowercasenonumber password over this. :(

----------

I am

----------

I denied access.

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

13. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

What is it with people coming here for help, getting a solution then going "nope, won't do it"?

How is typing a mix of capitals and numbers hard. Take your current password, capitalise the first letter and turn one of the others into a number.

Or get a password manager & never have this problem again.

14. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yep, so agree. When his account gets hacked he'll be back to complain.

15. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

besides ur password issue with it being too weak and apple is telling u to change it. i think ur issue might be from not manually turning off imessage/facetime FIRST, then erasing content/settings, is that what u did? did u first turn off imessage then wipe the phone? there was some issues a few years back where people that didnt do the above, were getting imessages they shouldnt of & other numbers appearing etc.

now i would say well first, change ur password, then turn off imessage on ur device then turn it on again

16. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

You are correct. I know people coming from an iPhone to Android not turning off iMessage and the network took days to rectify. In any case, removing that device from his trusted device list is a MUST!

17. NewbieCanada thread starter macrumors 68030

Apple only tells me to change it when going there. It has no objections to it on iTunes, the support site, my support profile, the store, iCloud, Find My iPhone, etc.

And no, I didn't turn off iMessage before erasing. It's rather absurd that erasing a phone doesn't terminate its connection to the Apple ID, especially since I had to enter my password to confirm I wanted to erase it.

----------

Sometimes the solution is worse than the problem. That's my choice to make and if you don't agree with my decision you're welcome to make different ones in your life.

And by the way, just some advice for you. Inventing words that someone never said and putting them in quotes doesn't mean they said them. It just means you don't understand what quotes are.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

What list is that? It seems that the OP mentioned already removing both from Find My iPhone and from his support profile, where else is it going to be showing up beyond that (and why wouldn't removing it from all those places not remove it from this "list")?

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, what about the support profile?

And where on the manage Apple ID site do you do this anyway?

20. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

it is something needing fixing yes but its happened before, if u dont do anything or everything u do doesnt work then id say after 45 days it should fix itself probably via timeout, i say that cause of this http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

"If you want to transfer your SIM card or phone number to a device that doesn't support iMessage

Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage if you plan to transfer your SIM card or phone number from an iPhone to a device that doesn't support iMessage. If you don't, other iOS devices might continue to try to send you messages using iMessage, instead of using SMS or MMS, for up to 45 days.
    "

about the issue i said thats happened before see http://simonemccallum.com/2013/09/07/when-imessages-go-to-the-wrong-iphone/ & https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3514331?start=0&tstart=0

its even happened to an apple store employee but i cant find that article anymore

21. C DM, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

I was going to link to something related (although not about the same issue): http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5185

Apple is still apparently somewhat stumped by that issue and might even be in some trouble because of it: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/16/imessages-issue-lawsuit/

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

23. NewbieCanada thread starter macrumors 68030

Interesting thing here is that the smug, self-satisfied advice was ENTIRELY WRONG.

I gave in and changed the password and guess what?

"Manage my Apple ID" does not in fact list ANY of the devices associated with an Apple ID. Not my new phone. Not my old phone. Not my Macs. There is no option to manage devices.

So thanks so much for not only giving completely wrong advice, but for the attitude when someone was reluctant to take your completely wrong advice.

So you're right, whsbuss. I am back to complain. But not that I was hacked. That you go around talking about things you don't know about and get all hissy when people don't take your advice.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit bad-tempered. I get that way when I'm given advice that requires me to make an irreversable change on faith and the person doesn't have the slightest inkling of a clue what they're talking about and a few equally ill-informed people join in on the pile-on.

24. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I would suggest a phonecall to Apple support to get right down to the problem. Just pick up the Phone and dial and talk to a person. It's my own prefered method for problems that just can't be easy and rightly solved.

25. blugel macrumors member

This made me literally LOL...thanks for this thread and the laughs!