Sold your iPhone early? Are you now considered an "iPhone customer"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saccento, Jun 10, 2010.

1. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

To those who sold your iPhone early, are you worried that you won't get an upgrade early, because you might not be considered an "iPhone customer"?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you still have the iPhone data plan on your account, for all intent and purposes, you are still an iPhone customer.

3. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

They took if off, but I made then put it back on because it bumped back my upgrade date from May to July. So as of now, I have the unlimited data plan back on - so hopefully I'm considered an iPhone customer.

4. Mercaptan macrumors regular

So your real worry is that not having the iPhone data plan might disqualify you from being eligible for the upgrade.

I know I'm not worried because I've kept my data plan. Even though I won't get to use it, it'll only be two weeks until I'm back on a smartphone.

5. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

Well no that's not my worry because the data plan is on my account. I guess my worry is what AT&T considers an iPhone customer. It also says on their website "existing iPhone customers" so who knows.

6. Mercaptan macrumors regular

So what're you worried about then? Just the fact that you don't actually have the iPhone anymore?

I doubt they really care once you've paid them.

7. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on selling mine on ebay, and having the auction end the day before the new iPhone is released. As long as you don''t cancel your iphone plan, you will still be considered an iPhone customer, even if you don't physically have your old iPhone. How could they even know you sold your iPhone unless you tell them, its not like they demand you show them your old iPhone as proof when you are buying the new one. It's all about the plan that they have on record.

8. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

Yeah, well when I dial *693# I get the message "A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 7/14/10."

Yet ATT/Apple have said anyone with upgrade in 2010 are automatically eligible for immediate upgrades on the release date for the best pricing.

Other customers who have done this get messages "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2 yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee."

So this is very confusing.

9. Mercaptan macrumors regular

I strongly doubt that message has anything to do with the device you use to request it.

I did the same thing both with my 3GS that I sold and my old Nokia that I've stuck my SIM card into, and I get the same message both before and after.

10. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

Hm, then I wonder why I get a different message than other customers.
    I know it's only like two weeks after the release, but originally I was due for an upgrade in May, and if AT&T hadn't taken off my data plan, I would have nothing to worry about. I'm just glad I called them to put it back on to retain the unlimited.

11. Mercaptan macrumors regular

When did you start the contract? It has a lot more to do with your last start date and what you've been paying along the way.

12. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

well I have to admit I was a little worried when I logged into my AT&T account yesterday and it says my device is a Nokia 2720 instead of an iPhone 3G.....because all I did was put the sim card from my iPhone into this little flip phone.

Luckily when I go to "check upgrade options" it says they can offer me a discounted iPhone upgrade with new 2-year commitment. then on the devices page I can get a 32GB 3GS for $199, 16GB 3GS for $149 and a 8GB 3G for $99

this would be a good way for anyone to check I'm sure, just don't change anything on your account...I didn't....

13. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

Yeah I understand that. I got the 3G in November the year it was released. Because they took my data plan off, I paid less for the month of May which pushed my upgrade date back. If they hadn't taken it off, I would be all set with no problems.

14. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

I've double confirmed with AT&T via e-mail (and they just called me when I emailed back to confirm) that it doesn't matter what the *639# upgrade date says, as long as it falls within 2010. I currently get the "eligible for full discount on 12/27/2010" message online and via the *639#.

I'm currently using a Palm Pre Plus (sold my iPhone to have a month with WebOS) and do NOT have an iPhone Data Plan on my account (they swapped it for the standard data plan for smartphones when I bought the Palm Pre Plus at full price).

They went through my 3 lines, one eligible in February, one in December, and the other immediately. She said my December and immediately line were BOTH eligible for iPhone 4 upgrade at the full discount (with $18 upgrade fee).

15. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

hmm.. i'm currently not using a smartphone but have the iPhone data plan still on, so we'll see what happens.

16. christyn macrumors 6502a

I'm not taking any chances, I sold my iPhone today... and I've heard from a couple people here who put their sim in another phone and lost the upgrade... so I'll just deal with only having my office/home phone until launch day.

17. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

same. I called AT&T after a couple days of using my dumb phone though to make sure my unlimited plan was still on my account ;)

18. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

When is your upgrade date? And what do you get when dialing *693#?

19. Mercaptan macrumors regular

Could you link to those cases? I want to see what they said.

20. christyn macrumors 6502a

21. Mercaptan macrumors regular

Okay, that talks about using a GoPhone. That's really interesting, I wonder if that's specific to the GoPhone service or what.

Did the people you know locally also use a GoPhone? Or something else?

22. christyn macrumors 6502a

they activated an old phone, not a go phone..

23. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

My upgrade date was May of this year...so Im out of contract right now, ready to start another :p

I dont think its necessary, but I called AT&T and told them I was going to be out of the country and didnt want a continous stream of data going to my iPhone while out of the country...This is when I explained why I was switching to a dumb phone for the next couple weeks.

idk if its important but its not like I bought another $30 phone or something, I had an old flip phone laying around and just swapped SIM's

Its actually true too! Leaving for Jamaica soon :D

24. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

25. mbaran macrumors regular

I've been using a BB Curve for 3 days now and my *639# still says eligible for 2 years blah blah