Solution to the one USB-C port - InfiniteUSB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 3bs, Apr 16, 2015.

1. sdugoten macrumors regular

2. Queen6, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You can't charge your MacBook when using "InfiniteUSB"

"InfiniteUSB-C is literally a USB hub like InfiniteUSB. It will be powered by MacBook but won't charge back. The technical constrain for MacBook charging is mostly for the hub size. The size of InfintieUSB-C won't be like this small if we put an additional charging module inside the case."

Q-6

3. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah it doesn't look like a complete solution. I guess we'll have to wait till next year for Apple to add another port for that.

4. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Plus it sticks way out depending on how many devices you use.

5. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

scalability doesn't seem the best; how would this be better than a usb-c to usb adapter ($20 from apple direct) and a usb 3.0 hub plugged into that?

I do like the look though and the flat cables, and if you are only doing one or two chained, it won't stick out that much.

6. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

7. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

8. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

This specific thing, yes. I want that form factor for a hub with a couple C ports instead of all USB A. As of today, it's rated for 40w, but that could go up as well. (They make a 60W version as well with one more port.)

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Hydra Dock launches on Kickstarter tomorrow. We'll have to see how it is and if it's successful.

10. OrdinaryAvgGuy macrumors member

It has already launched.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Thanks. I didn't see that.

12. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

This has to be the most useless product I have ever seen. Not only is it ugly, but it could see this damaging the USB C port once you connect too many of those adapters. The leverage of having 3 or more adapter looks like an accident waiting to happen. To top it off thy dob't even supply power, why would you connect all those devices and then not power the computer. The apple 79$ video adapter is cleaner, safer, provides power and more versatile IMO.

The Hydra Dock looks better but even that has it's limitations. I hope apple sticks with Thunderbolt (V3) on it's other laptops as it is a way superior implementation, like multi monitor support and supporting higher resolutions.

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Video ports on the Hydra Dock are useless.

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

As I said the hydra dock has it's limitations, if you want more than one monitor or more that 2560 x1600 then it will be useless.:)

15. ctyrider, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Just curious - what makes them useless?

USB-C can support multiple monitors as well as full 4K@60Hz. 5K over USB-C will also be possible with DP 1.3 in Alt Mode. The limitations of current rMB have nothing to do with USB-C versus Thunderbolt - they have more to do with CPU/GPU limitations on MacBook itself.

Personally, I think the days of Thundrebolt are numbered. Apple may keep it on MacPro, but I see them dropping it on all MacBooks over time in favor of USB-C.

16. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Why is it saying it does not support higher resolutions. The Macbook does the dock does not. It does not power?

17. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Hah. I really do hope they mean effect rather than affect and that it isn't just an error on the bottom of the page. I've always thought zombie invasions were looked upon too negatively. Clearly, they can be quite useful! :D

18. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I never said it was a USB-C thing, but as it stands the Hydra Dock has limitations that thunderbolt docks do not have. Maybe it's just the hydra Dock and future docks for the MacBook will be able to support Ultra wide and 4K monitors.

19. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

The limitations of Hydradock video ports come from the limitations of MacBook GPU. They are not due to the fact it's USB-C and not Thunderbolt dock. Future docks will have the same limitations as long as they connect to 12" MacBook.

20. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I see, I thought the macbook could support 4K, 3440X1440, 2560 x 1600 and had multi monitor support. I guess the Macbook is a turd after all as the 2010 Macbook air supports a higher res than that.

21. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Not to dredge up our old discussion, but that's just not strictly true. The MacBook can do 4K at at least 30Hz (which is supported via Apple's own adaptor), so the fact that the Mini DisplayPort on the dock can't means it's a limitation of the dock and not of the MacBook.

- It can, and it does. 4K/UHD at at least 30Hz in addition to its own built-in display. Apple's specifications as well as Ars Technica's test reveal as much.

22. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I am not sure that it can't. 4K@30Hz is frankly crap, so they may have chosen to not advertise it. If the dock is USB-C iF compliant (as they claim it is) - it just passes through AltMode signal from the computer port to the display. Therefore, whatever resolution / refresh the host machine supports - the dock should support as well.

23. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

From the FAQ on the Hydra site.

"Can the HydraDock drive both display types at the same time?

No. The USB-C port on the MacBook only outputs a DisplayPort v1.2 signal, which can only support one of the two connectors at a time — either HDMI to 1920x1080, or Mini DisplayPort to 2560x1440 — but not both together."

Functionality

HydraDock is named after the multi-headed mythological serpent, and expands the single USB-C port on the MacBook into an array of eleven useful ports, including:

1 — 3.5mm stereo headphone port
    1 — Gigabit Ethernet port
    1 — SDXC card slot
    1 — Mini DisplayPort (up to 2,560 x 1,440 resolution, w/HDCP)
    1 — HDMI (up to 1,920 x 1,080 resolution, w/HDCP)
    4 — USB 3.0 ports
    2 — USB-C ports (data only, no video)

24. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I know what's on their site. It doesn't contradict anything I have said above.