[SOLVED] Am I still Jail Broken!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upaymeifixit, Jun 27, 2009.

1. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I updated to the 3.0 software about a week before the release (Golden Master) from a Jail Broken 2.1.1 (? Or latest). I had renamed my SIM to Josh G., and whenever you clicked on my cell strength, it would turn into numbers. Both somewhat cool features.

From when I understood, when you updated the software, it wiped the HDD in it (As I am writing this, I am now realizing my mistake). Well I guess it didn't, because those two features I listed are still active!!! As cool as that is, I don't care for a Jail Broken phone. And I don't want to have to mess with erasing if I want to take it in for service.

I have a screenshot below, excuse the blue, I had to write/publish this in the car.
    [​IMG]

So what I want to know is, will this make it detectable to Apple? And how can I fix this?

Thanks in advance. (I hope)

2. applecheese macrumors member

if you need to take it in to the apple store just do a restore and don't restore it from a backup!
    :)

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That happened because you restored from back-up. In other words, your previous settings (name and signal strength in numbers) came back.

4. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Thanks

I actually started thinking about this a little harder and figured that out, so I guess that means if I restore it (Not from a backup) I loose all my app data (high scores etc.)?

Thanks for the help.

5. funrush macrumors regular

You loose everything. sms, mail, phone numbers, settings etc etc.

Do this:

-re-jailbreak
    -install the app that can turn off everything (signal strength, carriername etc.)
    -uninstall everything you can from cydia
    -When the phone is 'clean' (only cydia installed) you can make a backup.
    -restore
    -restore from backup.

That should work just fine.

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

If you've gotta take it in to Apple, then just don't restore the backup.

You wouldn't want your data on there if you've got to take it to Apple anyway as there is always the possiblity your phone has to be sent off.

If you just mean detectable via iTunes, then no they can't. Well, they can, but you have to agree to them taking personal information about you and sending it back to Apple. In which case, just follow the advice given by funrush, assuming that the apps you used are 3.0 compatible

7. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I'll just do a "clean" restore.

Well, If they ever do have to send my phone in, most likely I will not be able to do a restore (If the problem involved hardware). I have MobileMe so my contacts, Mail, notes, etc. won't be a problem. High scores will be a bummer, but the most important stuff is stored online.

Okay thanks again. One more thought, as you can see in the screen shot, my SIM is renamed. Is that data stored on the phone or SIM? If it's on the sim how do I change it? (Please give me anything but I have to Jailbreak again, I don't think I could handle it!)

8. Kyeris macrumors 6502

AT&T is on the sim, pretty sure the tool you used to change that just masked it and was software on the phone. If you restore it'll be AT&T again.

9. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

I sent my iPod Touch in without uninstalling any of my JB Apps and I'm getting it back, fixed, tomorrow.

10. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I'm confused, is this relevant?

Edit: nevermind, didn't see the second post, sorry!

11. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

I should have included more in that post.

All I did was restore and select a backup and Apple is sending me my old iPod back now.