Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Burn the firmware restore cd now, you'll be wishing you had if something happens. Make the FirmwareUpdates folder and continue with the process.

50BMG

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Burn the firmware restore cd now, you'll be wishing you had if something happens. Make the FirmwareUpdates folder and continue with the process.
"Create the folder" ...Easy enough then, Thank you. I'll take it then that the Restore CD will be sufficient as a backup of the current Firmware.
I am curious why this 1,1 to 2,1 firmware update wasn't made in the form of a CD too, instead of from a running system?​

BTW: It's not my only PC, just my only Intel Mac. I can make the restore CD any time. Maybe I will anyway, just to have it.

No advice on the hardware questions then?

Thanks again for all the help to you both.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 1,1 to 2,1 update isn't a cd because it isn't an official/real update released by Apple.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
You are more than welcome for the help, 50BMG. :)

Listen to Intell, he's got the right advice. Create the directory if it doesn't exist and please burn that firmware restore to a disc so that you can get your Mac back to a functional state quickly. You never know what might happen. . .

Intell is also completely correct about the 1,1, to 2,1, disc. This is an unauthorized and unsupported true-blue Mac hack. It took a lot of hard work and dedication from a number of Mac users - including those from the forum that Intell linked - to get those firmware files just right.

As for your RAM upgrade, 50BMG, that is a mystery to me. The early Intel Mac Mini Models support a maximum of 2GB (unless you upgrade the firmware like we are doing), so the fact that the upgrade isn't working probably means one or more of the following:

1.) The memory is either bad or the incorrect type. If you can test it in your other PCs you have, you can either confirm or disconfirm this.

2.) The memory slots/bays are no good. I doubt this, as you probably have two 512MB sticks installed and working correctly, right?

3.) The memory wasn't installed correctly. This is probably also unlikely, as installing RAM is a fairly easy process.

If the RAM doesn't work after the firmware upgrade, I would definitely ensure that the RAM is both working, seated properly, and the proper type.

Why are you using an Airport Express card? Is the OEM wireless card with the Mac not working? If so, make sure you get that replaced so you can get online, (unless you use Ethernet) or at least prevent these crashes you are mentioning. Installing new hardware (besides RAM and HDDs) in Macs can be tricky, because they are usually only designed to work with the same type of hardware that was originally installed.

If you can get upgraded to 10.5 or 10.6, that will be a huge boon for you as well. A SL upgrade disc is relatively cheap and readily available from any major online retailer.

50BMG

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Excellent - Thank you Diogones

I won't quote your post, but I will try to respond to each point.

Me too - The RAM should work. I can't see both stix being bad. Unfortunately I have no other way to test them. It is brand new from the original PKG.

If I were so incompetent as to not be able to install it correctly, then I shouldn't have been able to put the originals back and have it work every time. Nothing wrong with questioning my ability [I do that all the time] but I just don't see how this could be either.

Same for seating and bad sockets. This machine was "Virgin" before I opened it. I know where it came from and have no doubts.

So - I'm going to go with "Incompatible". Serves me right for going cheap. I'll have to return it and pony up a couple extra samolians. First thing tomorrow.

Likewise - I've no fears about replacing the CPU should I be lucky enough to find one.

The Air Port Express card is the original OEM part. It just went bad or got misconfigured somehow and intermittently prevented the machine from starting to HD. This so frustrated it's original owner that it's how the machine came to be mine. [I was hovering over the trash pale and intercepted a "Drop Kick"!] It took me some time to isolate this card as the problem. [5 days?] It's symptoms weren't similar to any published on the internet. [Startup chimes, Apple logo... no gears. Also prevented Boot Camp redirected CD/DVD boots. Had to begin by booting Diags, then reboot to install DVD and then again to HD. System worked fine as long as I never shut it down. Big clue was no Air Port card in the device list. Sometimes it was there - mostly not.] Now that I've removed the card - the system boots cleanly every time. [Insanely Reliable!] I'm hoping it can be returned to service eventually. In the meantime, wired ethernet is fine.

Let see... am I done... no - I don't intend running anything newer than Leopard 10.5 because I'd like to be able to play with some of my older Apps. which SL precludes. I tried these out in 10.4 [on a PC] and they were pretty good. [ I was amazed actually ]

Thanks again for your efforts. I'll let you know what happens and about the Alu Keybd. ;)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The Air Port Express card is the original OEM part.

The built in WiFi card is the Airport Extreme. The Express is the little power brick shaped device and allows you to send music to it via AirTunes/AirPlay.

50BMG

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
The built in WiFi card is the Airport Extreme. The Express is the little power brick shaped device and allows you to send music to it via AirTunes/AirPlay.

I see you're correct... I don't have an Express. Not sure how I got mislead on that one. I'm not sure it's an Extreme either though.

It's this exact one (AR5BXB6):
AR5BXB6.jpg

Now for the Good news:

I'm writing this to you having done the Firmware Update to 2,1.

Everything went as expected, and as Diogones noted, the Apple Aluminum Wired Keyboard is working at startup. I used it to reset the PRAM and to boot CDs after the update.

There are a few things I'd like to mention, in case anyone else considers this path.

1) The command line from Diogones post got a couple extra carriage returns in it somehow. I realized it and fixed them up, but anyone doing a simple cut and paste might get messed up.

Here's an excerpt of the terminal session:
Code:
sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:
I really liked the admonition... very cute. After I authenticated, there was a page of output showing the prep had been done and the PRAM set for the next boot.

2) My monitor is DVI, and I was able to see the "progress bar" during the the entire update. The update took about 110 seconds by my watch. It booted through a "scrambled" screen and ended up being a clean blue field with no mouse pointer. I waited about 1 minute to be sure the startup was complete before shutting down as instructed using the power switch.

3) The only abberation I noticed on the restart is after the desktop came up on next boot, the mouse had some peculiar "tails" following it around. This never happened again on succeeding startups. No biggie.

4) As expected, the Mini's version now reads as 2,1. Here's the Info:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Solo
Processor Speed: 1.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 1
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version: 1.3f4​
Please note that the unit has the same serial number as before. [not shown]

5) I tried to boot Apple test (AHT) from the original OSX 10.4 install DVD that came with this system. It booted, but refused to run complaining now, that it wasn't for my hardware. It did allow me to restart cleanly. However, the OSX (Tiger) install part of the same DVD also refused, thinking it was running on inappropriate hardware. So I can no longer re-install this OS from these disks, on this system. Worth mentioning to anyone who might follow.

It's not a problem for me as I plan to upgrade to Leopard anyway, which will be either from a 10.5 install disk that came with a 2,1 Mini, or a retail version.

• Question: Will a Leopard disk that came with a Mini2,1 contain an AHT that I can now run?

6) Xtools and OS9 compatibility - I didn't load either from the Tiger Install disk while I was a Mini1,1.

• Question: Am I be too late to do so now that I'm a Mini2,1?

7) Tiger is running fine on this machine right now. I have no intention of changing back to 1,1 at this time. But I'd like to know how/if I can do so, should the need arise. [Like a hard drive failure that requires a reload from the original disks]

• Is there a way to perform the Downgrade?
  • Can I force the Tiger disk to install anyway? [maybe Chameleon?]

Other things I tried:

• The Air Port Card still doesn't work with this new firmware. It's dead.
  • The RAM upgrade still doesn't run on this machine.
  • I did confirm that the system would run with a single SODIMM of the original 512MB sticks installed.

The RAM is being returned in the morning. [exchanged if they have any]

Well, that's about it. Thank you both very much. It was painless. I'm so happy I can use my Apple Aluminum Keyboard. Looking forward to a Dual Core CPU if I can locate one.

ADDENDUM: I took Intell's advice and burned a Firmware Restore disk 1.7 before attempting the update. It did it's job [as a good luck charm] and I did not need it.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Because your Mini is now a 2,1 Mini, you need the 2,1 discs. Your 1,1 discs won't work in it anymore.

50BMG

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Because your Mini is now a 2,1 Mini, you need the 2,1 discs. Your 1,1 discs won't work in it anymore.
Yep... figured that. Got a buddy with them, we just need to locate them. Will AHT on those, now work on this system? (I expect so)

Exchanged the RAM today. Now using 2x1GB stix (total 2GB). Talked to the Apple Repair Depot manager, he said Crucial was the most compatible and that they used it all the time for repairs. Anyway, it just plain WORKED. No fuss, no muss. Nicest part was the price.

Is there anything I need to do - to prompt the OS to use it more efficiently? PRAM reset already done. [obviously]

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hooray for 50BMG! :D I'm glad you followed Intell's and my own instructions to the letter, and it's great to hear that the firmware upgrade was a success. It's always nice to see a fix work for someone after you've tried it yourself.

Good job on diagnosing the RAM; I had a feeling the modules were incompatible, since the other possibilities really did not add up.

That's too bad about the WiFi card, but you sound like you know what you are doing, so I'm sure you'll be able to replace it with a new model quickly: the install isn't terribly difficult and it's a cheap part to buy. Could be worse; the logic board might have fried! What a nightmare!

As usual, Intell is correct. The OEM discs you obtained along with the Mac will not work, as it is going to behave (more or less) like an '07 Mini, so get the appropriate discs for it. That is fortunate that you have a friend who can share the discs with you.

You say you will be upgrading the CPU? Good luck, that is a major operation. I'm not terribly worried - I think you have everything under control, and it is certainly a more economical approach than buying an '07 Mini.

Thanks for catching my typos in the firmware bless command - I'm relieved you noticed them before attempting to issue the command in the Terminal and then restarting, only to find that the firmware upgrade was botched. :eek: I'm going to edit my post so it reflects the corrections.

As far as XTools and OS9 are concerned, you should be able to launch them from your upgraded Mac, as long as you are still using Tiger. They will probably also work in 10.5, but I am not completely certain, so I'll let you play around with it. ;)

Oh good grief: you went through all the trouble to upgrade your firmware, and now you want to know how to go back? Ah well, the inquisitive mind is never at rest. Here's what you have to do to downgrade (assuming you get cold firmware feet):

1.) The most obvious solution is to use your firmware restore cd that you created before you performed the firmware update. This should prompt you to restart the Mac, and you will undergo the same process that you did when you upgraded the firmware: the power lights will blink after holding down the power button, an Apple logo with a progress bar, etc. Full details can be found here.

2.) Download and run the Mac Mini EFI 1.1 Update but it will only work if you force it to run in single user mode, as the installer will check your firmware version if you run it from the Finder. Because you have 2,1 installed, you will have to force it before the disk is mounted. This is rather tricky, because first you have to navigate to where the update dmg is saved, open it, and then force the package to launch. Even with root access, it might not permit you to downgrade, but it is worth trying if the first method doesn't work.

3.) Finally, the last option, which is more of a last resort if the first two methods don't work, is to navigate back to the location where you installed the new firmware files (/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates) and either remove them, so the system reverts back to the original firmware, or edit them so they contain the original 1,1 firmware values, and then bless them in the Terminal. I'm not going to explain the entire process, because the first two methods should work. Remember, this last technique is only a last resort!

To answer your final question, no there isn't anything you need to do to use the RAM more effectively; as you've already run a PRAM, nothing else is required - unless you wanted to get really fancy and install a second hard drive and relocate OS X's swap file to it so that it would remove the VRAM bottleneck from the first drive. Of course, this assumes that you are using more resources than your installed RAM can provide, and you are overusing the swap file, which is usually not the case.

Once again, I'm glad everything worked out for you, and if you have any more questions about the downgrade, please direct it to me via PM, so that we don't clutter up the thread anymore. We have demonstrated that a Mini firmware upgrade will work to fix your aluminum keyboard woes; let's keep it on topic, shall we? :cool:

50BMG

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Agreed. I just didn't want to leave it that the upgrade was without consequences [mostly OSX re-installation] and that it wasn't magical enough to repair bad Air Ports or incompatible RAM. It surely did address my Keyboard issue, which now WORKS!

It's also good for others to recognize that the Apple Firmware Revision list for Mac Mini2,1s does not show the correct firmware. This had me going in circles.

I'm hoping that eventually someone else with Intell's rev of Aluminum keyboard will post their revision level also works with their Mini1,1 or not.

Either way, it's enough for me that I've shared a sure-fire way to work around the problem - that USB1.x keyboards will work for those occasions when a startup key sequence is required, and partaken in a clear method of Firmware upgrade which will also be corrective for those willing to take the risks.

Thanks to all for the thread, and the help.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My aluminum keyboard was made in week 35 of 2007, so its one of the oldest aluminum ones. If you know what you're doing (I'm not going to tell or post details) you can alter your Tiger reinstallation discs to work on your 2,1 firmware. If you do get around to replacing the Airport card, you should try to get a N model. Not the G one that the 2006-2007 Mini's came with. They look almost identical, but have different model/part numbers. It doesn't matter if you get one with two or three antenna connectors. Just plug the antenna into the "1" or "Main" connector.

50BMG

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
The sticker on my original keyboard box says January, which accounts for the difference [0.67 vs 0.69].

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look for that hack. Since this is the disk that shipped with this Mini, I feel ok about it. It's a far better alternative than re-flashing the unit back.

Thanks about the Air Port Card, but I'll probably skip it altogether. I have no use for N, but do for A - so I'd opt for an older a/b/g one given the choice.

I'm so thankful it's all working this well. A CPU update is about as far as I'm going to take it unless an Air Port Card card literally jumps in my lap.

Really, I can't thank you all enough. I hope this thread helps others too.

50BMG

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
After talking to my buddy... another possibility has emerged

My friend who has the Mini2,1 that came with Leopard, also has a wired Aluminum Keyboard. Interestingly enough, I am certain he bought his [keyboard] well before I bought mine - and from the same Apple store.

Therefore, his keyboard rev should be as old as mine, or older, but it's not. At least not today. His is also 0.69, the same as Intell's.

In talking over the problem many of us Mini1,1 owners were having with this rev 0.67 keyboard unit, and the odd fact that some owners of this combination reported that a slightly newer rev DID work with their Mini1,1s... he recalled something.

He claimed that some time after the purchase of his keyboard, a Keyboard Firmware Update was downloaded to his Leopard Mini, via Software Update and applied.​

In my travels on the Apple website, I've seen Keyboard Firmware Updates, but they always require at least Leopard to run.

Is it possible that the Keyboard update to 0.69 fixed the keyboard's problem with the Mini1,1s, but was only distributed if you had upgraded to Leopard or newer?

So the questions are:

• Intell... could your keyboard firmware have been updated? [I.E. - are you running Leopard or newer?]

• Is anyone aware of any 0.67 keyboards that do work with Mini1,1s?

• Is anyone aware of any 0.69 keyboards that don't work with Mini1,1s?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Is it possible that the Keyboard update to 0.69 fixed the keyboard's problem with the Mini1,1s, but was only distributed if you had upgraded to Leopard or newer?

So the questions are:

• Intell... could your keyboard firmware have been updated? [I.E. - are you running Leopard or newer?]

It is possible. I did run a keyboard firmware update on my keyboard. If I remember correctly, it fixed a problem with the caps lock.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
You are more than welcome sorryiwasdreami! I'm glad it worked out for you. :)

50BMG

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
It was a Core Solo. Now it has a 2.33Ghz C2D in it...

I upgraded my CPU today to a T7600 also. [2.33Ghz Core2 DUO]

Works great - no effect on Aluminum Keyboard compatibility - has worked since firmware update MacMini 1,1 -> 2,1.

Still looking for original MacMini 2,1 Install disks for 10.4 and 10.5 though.

Thanks again for all the support.

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
just want to chime in with my own experience with this issue..

iMac4,1 (Early 2006) - would not acknowledge any key presses on both full sized and the shorter Aluminum keyboard. Caps Lock would not toggle, until OS X starts to boot up. USB mouse recognized, as I can hold it's button pressed to eject CD on power up. So had to go buy the cheapest USB keyboard which of course worked fine.

I was installing Core 2 Duo into the machine and also flashed the firmware for iMac5,1 (http://netkas.org/index.php/topic,1122.0.html). After this update, Aluminum keyboard works like a charm during boot!

I'm wondering if the problem is the integrated USB hub in the Alu keyboards? Not sure whether the older keyboards had hub or not - or whether it was USB 1.1 or 2.0.

chaimk

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
I just wanted to thank 50BMG for the original tip on the new keyboards not working with the older Macs. I have a 2006 Mac mini (1.66 Core Duo) and was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why no keyboard presses were being recognized at startup. (My computer would not boot and I was just trying to boot off another drive.) Sure enough, I swapped the keyboard with the only other USB keyboard in the house — an original Apple Extended Keyboard II (ADB!) paired with a Griffin ADB-to-USB adapter — and it worked like a charm!

Heaven knows I'm not interested in spending any more time than necessary on this 7-year-old computer, so I won't be upgrading the firmware anytime soon (or ever). :) But you saved me more hair-pulling, and I ain't got that much left, so thank you!

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Oh thanks, it's available again from the original post. All sorted now!

Thanks for the update on the link....I'm thinking of doing this with my old Mini.

I see in your sig you're looking for a compatible SSD for your iMac G4 1.25GHz....I just updated the G4 iMac ?I bought over Christmas....installed a new PRAM battery, 2GB RAM, and used a SanDisk SATA 120GB SSD with at PATA to SATA adapter from Amazon - I think the adapter cost about $7. I used double sided Velcro tape to hold the smaller 2.5" drive in the larger 3.5" spot the old drive occupied. It works great.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Thanks for the update on the link....I'm thinking of doing this with my old Mini.

I see in your sig you're looking for a compatible SSD for your iMac G4 1.25GHz....I just updated the G4 iMac ?I bought over Christmas....installed a new PRAM battery, 2GB RAM, and used a SanDisk SATA 120GB SSD with at PATA to SATA adapter from Amazon - I think the adapter cost about $7. I used double sided Velcro tape to hold the smaller 2.5" drive in the larger 3.5" spot the old drive occupied. It works great.

Thanks for the tip - is the SSD noticeably faster, even over an IDE converter?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Much faster than the old 5400 RPM spinning drive. Grant you, it's not instantaneous by any means, but with the 2GB RAM and SSD, it's quick enough where you feel you can get things done and not have to go for coffee between mouse clicks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.