Solved the battery draining issue

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sestemybe, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sestemybe macrumors newbie

I know this is my first post, but I have been a long time lurker, and registered to be able to contribute this information. Jailbroken apps are sbsettings, lockinfo, mywi, ultrasn0w, lock weather, bite SMS, winterboard, and terminal. Through experience I saw that battery life was horrendous since the jailbreak. Through some research and testing of standby/usage times before and after my fix, I have concluded that the battery leak is not in any of these individual applications, but rather in what these applications all have in common ( mobilesubstrate) I am still looking into where/why the battery leak is with MobileSubstrate 3328. While running mobile substrate 3328 my battery was good for about 9 hours of standby, or 1.5 hours of hard usage before my iPhone was complaining to be recharged.

After downgrading to mobile substrate 3309(which does not have skype or maps issues like some previous mobile substrates) my battery life has once again gone back to ALMOST what it was before jailbreaking and adding all the apps, ect. After downgrading mobile substrate to 3309, battery life was extended to around 55 hours with all data/ wifi turned on in standby, or 7-8 hours of hard use as long as brightness is kept down.

To downgrade from 3328 to 3309 you will need to ssh into your phone, transfer the "new" mobile substrate into your tmp file, and use terminal to install 3309 over 3328, reload all your jailbroken apps after successfully downgrading to 3309, restate your phone, charge it up and enjoy.

I am posting from my iPhone but I will answer questions and put up a decent how to when I get home.

2. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Thanks, this is actually pretty useful info to know as a JBreaker!

3. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

4. Ogrillion macrumors member

Where do I download mobilesubtract, the version you suggest?

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I just power cycled my phone, going to see if tomorrow is better by doing so.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

It was 3228 that caused battery drain. I'm on 3226, and my battery life is the same as as pre-jb.

7. AppelGek macrumors member

8. felt. macrumors 6502a

in my case it was push gmail using exchange combined with the signal app that was causing significant battery drain.

9. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

10. hlkc macrumors regular

First and most formal, appreciate your sharing and in depth investigation.

Instead of downgrade and re-download all JB apps again, can we let Rock knows and let them look into and fix the problem?

11. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

13. JMB1911 macrumors regular

Possible dumb question...if I go to cydia then to manage then to packages...if I don't see mobileSubstrate does that mean I don't have it

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Every JB Iphone has Mobile Substrate it comes with Cydia and provide an interface for JB apps.

15. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Go to the manage tab/packages/ and then switch from simple mode to expert mode - you'll see it listed there.

16. Sestemybe thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm sorry if it has already been covered somewhere else, you can download the older mobile substrate through cydia if you check the developer tab, or by ssh' ing into your phone and doing a install using terminal (google, it's what I did) correct me if I am wrong, but 3325, and 3326 both have problems with skype and with the maps app, so you will be unable too run those apps, where 3209 does not have those issues and from what I can tell has zero downsides, and runs all the apps I have installed. My 55 hour standby time or 7-8 hours of usage is with mail/ data push turned on, and wifi on.

17. hlkc macrumors regular

18. Sestemybe thread starter macrumors newbie

What did 3209 break for you out of curiosity, I'll trade a broken function or two for 800-1000% better battery life

19. hlkc macrumors regular

Sorry I did not have 3209, I tried 3226 and few themes did not display correctly. Agree, I prefer to fix this problem over the themes/icons.

20. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

Why did you need to reinstall ALL of your JB apps? Not all of them use mobilesubstrate. The only app that I had installed that has it as a dependency is Bite SMS. I uninstalled Bite SMS and mobilesubstrate the other day. Tested for a while after a reboot and still had the same issue.

I am going to follow the advice of a poster on another forum. He advises to completely drain the battery and then do a full charge to see if its just a battery miscalculation.

iPhone 4 on 4.01 jailbroken via jailbreakme.com. NOT using ultrasn0w to unlock my phone.

21. lansa macrumors member

systemybe,

Great info, can u post a few steps on how to downgrade to 3209....what packages do I need to remove, and is ssh the only way to do it?

Thanks, battery issue is biggest thing for me right now, otherwise phone is great.

22. Sestemybe thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a knows issue that 3325 and 3326 break a few applications and functions, however 3209 does not, everything works fine. I did this after i cycled my battery three times to no avail, trust me, downgrading to 3209 will fix ALL of your issues.

23. Sestemybe thread starter macrumors newbie

You can download the file online and ssh/terminal install it into your phone, or you can go into cydia, check the developer tab instead of basic, and search for mobilesubstrate, install the 3209 version over the 3328 you have now, and that is it.

I re installed all my apps to just make sure i didn't have any problems, but it looks like it may have been an unnecessary step in downgrading mobilesubstrate.

24. jdean23 macrumors member