Some AT&T iPhones Displaying Misleading '5GE' Icon in iOS 12.2 Beta 2 [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Commodore 64 macrumors member

I thought they learned the lesson with edge and “4G”. Never let the (stoked) marketing department be responsible for presenting and labeling new tech.:confused:

...the should do like Apple and let the tech department do the naming and have the coolest yet quirky person from said department do the presentation;)

2. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

Carriers with a fake advantage clearly benefit. If this fake stuff was not beneficial, they wouldn't do it.

And it's AT&T. They don't care. They will lie.

New Zealand is a country of 5 million, and we have 4 major carriers.
    The USA is a country of 312 million, and has 4 major carriers(, soon to be 3?).

Capitalism is dying in the heart of Capitalism.

3. CrysisDeu macrumors newbie

Huawei is going to announce a foldable-5G phone this February on MWC, this is a FACT

4. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

Reminds of the time Apple advertised the iPad as being 4G capable... until they got their knuckles rapped as it was only available in America & Canada, at the time.

5. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I'm assuming that this requires an Xs and Xs Max.

6. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

I am pretty sure if Apple told AT&T to take a hike, AT&T wouldn't allow themselves to be the only carrier to not carry the iPhone. It would be suicide.

7. crisss1205 macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

Okay and?

Will it come out on February? Probably not. Even if it does, that still counts as later in 2019. It is 2019 is it not?

8. alexnyc8 macrumors member

this whole 5g is the biggest experiment on humanity. google 5g dangers. too bad noone will listen until its too late

9. cmaier macrumors G4

False. Google anything danger and you will find crackpot theories. It’s ********.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

And those phones will never make it to US shores. And even European countries are rethinking their ties to Huawei’s 5G technology. Qualcomm, Nokia, and Ericsson have some catching up to do, so 5G won’t be prevalent until 2020.

11. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Shame on AT&T for creating confusion in the space. People are already struggling to understand what 4G, LTE, 5G, WiFi mean, .... and now we have "5G E" that is actually "LTE" and nothing more?

This type of stuff should be illegal.

12. Tech198 macrumors G5

The "update" sounds as bad as the fake rollout. That shouldn't sound anymore useful. AT&T would have been better not doing this at all, then miss-leading users.

13. sentiblue macrumors regular

14. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

You can Google anything and get responses. That's what Google does.

15. Statusnone88 macrumors 65832

Statusnone88

I’m on 12.2 b2, and in Orlando. Still don’t see 5GE. Guess I actually wanted to see it, lol.

16. acorntoy macrumors 65816

T-Mobile at the same time had their phones labeled “4G” on 3G HSPA+, assume if this marketing tactic starts helping AT&T for T-Mobile to stop making fun and start following.

17. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

I own several thousand shares of AT&T, and I'm going to be looking for an opportunity to sell them. Yet another company that thinks it's OK to distort the truth and misrepresent facts to the public/their customers to make a profit. In other words, another bullsh*t big business with no integrity. If we accept bad behavior, we'll get it in spades.

18. vicviper789 macrumors regular

Mean while on sprint in my home...

Attached Files:

19. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

I was so pissed when that happened just because of the sheer stupidity of it. While I thankfully have T-Mobile now, I still have a jailbreak tweak installed to fix that one.

photo.PNG

20. redpandadev macrumors regular

The icons are provided by the carrier bundle, which is provided by the carrier to Apple (though certainly with some level of collaboration, probably in the form of an SDK that Apple provides to the carrier).

You've probably occasionally seen a "carrier update" separate from iOS updates - that's the carrier bundle that is being updated (new iOS versions ship with new bundles as well).

Back in the earlier iOS modification days, you could even change the icons and strings by creating your own carrier bundle and installing with iTunes (no jailbreak required). Those days are over though as carrier bundles are just as much signed and secured as iOS now. If you had a jailbroken device, you certainly could edit the icons and more.

21. Danbrown521 macrumors regular

I’m in Lakeland, Florida. About 30 minutes west of Orlando and have it.

22. pika2000 macrumors 601

Yup, T-Mobile started it way back when they didn’t have LTE yet.
    Regardless, US carriers are the worst. They lie, lie, and lie (unlimited but not unlimited, faux G, passing on taxes as fees, activation fees, provider locking, etc etc). It’s quite hilarious how US consumers are just bending over again and again and enjoying the shaft for decades.

23. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

Oh shut the **** up AT&T, ‘experience’ my ass, Verizon and T-Mobile have had this running for a long time now. Experience. Oye.

24. coolsean20 macrumors regular

coolsean20

This is why I left AT&T and their stupid marketing schemes for Verizon

25. imlynxy macrumors 65816

You do not sound as an investor for me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tures-wireless-carplay.2165181/#post-26998064