Some avatars broken (including mine)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Nugget, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I notice that at some point in the past day or so my avatar image is broken.

From my UserCP it all looks fine, but I notice that on my profile page the img src is:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=12989

However, in actual message threads (like this one, look to the left!) the img src is:
    http://s3.media.macrumorslive.com/f/avatars/12989.gif

If I try to load that image in a new tab it looks like the web server is having some problems. It's emitting "AccessDeniedAccess Denied" and then the actual image contents.

It doesn't seem to be broken for all users, though. Just some avatars.

2. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

Avatars haven't been updated since before the keynote, which is probably why it worked for some and not others. I've put it back to normal now so should all be working.

That wasn't the image contents actually, just Amazon S3's bizarre error messages :)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My 'tar yesterday was one I hadn't used in alike a year. Strange.

4. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

It's possible some of them didn't upload to S3 properly, so you'd have got the one from the last time S3 was used for avatars - could be from WWDC last year.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

also broken - well, fixed, then broken.........

My avatar has some transparency around the edge. When I initially uploaded it (last June), worked fine for a while. Then, started displaying as cropped (as if the area where transparency is was taboo).

So, started to troubleshoot it last night, and once again got a version that worked (displayed correctly in a forum). Today, however, it's once again started to crop. (note: they always display correctly in my "Edit Avatar" page).

The png file is here: http://chiligraphics.com/mr_apple_avatar.png

When it's displayed "cropped", it only shows up to the edge of the Apple - not any of the rainbow border.

Thanks. I really like the way it looks, when it's not cropped.

(edit: it's currently display "cropped", i.e. broken, in this forum thread)

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's because the forum software converts the avatars in the postbits to the left of posts to .gif files, and it doesn't always play nice with .png files.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That's what it was looking like. But, it was working last night (new version of PNG), and with my original PNG last June.

Guess I'll have to make one w/o the blur. Thanks.

edit: just tried with GIF (from the PNG) - still cropped.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Keep in mind that it can take up to three hours or so for an updated avatar to appear next to your posts. It will update immediately on your profile page. So you'll have to wait a while to see how each new upload looks.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Thanks. I'll give the GIF, with transparency, a try.