MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some iPhone 12 models have been losing color from their aluminum chassis, according to a new report from Svetapple.sk, which includes photos of a PRODUCT(RED) iPhone 12 model that has been noticeably leached of color.

iphone-12-red-color-fading.jpg

The side of the iPhone 12 near the power button has faded to an orange shade and there's a clear delineation where the red coloring has worn off.

Svetapple.sk says that the iPhone has been used in a transparent case, so friction from a hand has not been a factor, though it's not clear if the case itself may have caused the issue.

There have been similar reports of fading from iPhone 11 and iPhone SE 2 users. MacRumors reader t101, for example, shared photos of an iPhone 11 with a dramatic loss of color on the edges. That iPhone model had also been in a transparent case. While many of the reports have focused on the Red iPhone models, the fading has been seen less frequently on iPhone 11 models in different colors.

Some MacRumors readers speculated that the color fading is due to UV exposure enabled by the clear case, but the problem would likely be more widespread if it was a UV exposure issue. There has also been speculation that the issue could be caused by a chemical reaction with a case, but there's no clear cut explanation.

There are a limited number of reports about color fading, but this is a problem that seems to have persisted for years as there are complaints about the iPhone XR, too. Aside from the iPhone 12 photos shared by Svetapple.sk, we have not seen similar reports about color loss on other iPhone 12 devices, and this could be a manufacturing defect that's not widespread.

Apple likely considers the color fading to be a cosmetic issue, so it's not known if devices that are suffering from color loss will be replaced.

Article Link: Some iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 Models Losing Color From Aluminum Body

decypher44

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Hmmm. Yesterday, I noticed I had a blue line on my hand. For the life of me, I couldn’t fathom where it could have come from. Maybe it was from my Pacific Blue 12 Pro. Looking at the phone now, but don’t notice a fade anywhere.

Reactions: Lazy
Comment

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
My 16" MacBook Pro has a tinge of this. I have the space gray model. Where I rest my left hand in front of the keyboard and and where my right wrist are lighter. It's gotta be from oils in my skin? Either way purely cosmetic. And only visible in certain lighting conditions. It has made me consider silver on the next buy.
While sure it purely cosmetics and doesn't affect the performance of the device in any way do not a sizeable number of people buy, and accept "higher prices" of, Apple products for the cosmetic appeal? Not everyone buys their phones, and other things, based on the technical and the performance of the A-series processor aspects.

• Haha
  • Disagree
Reactions: duervo and Stevez67
Comment

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
While sure it purely cosmetics and doesn't affect the performance of the device in any way do not a sizeable number of people buy, and accept "higher prices" of, Apple products for the cosmetic appeal?
Nope, purely for the sense of superiority. Now we have a superior color fade effect. Like smartphone patina. Try to match that Samsung!

Comment

Antes

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
seems like it’s only a ‘red’ aluminum iPhone issue based off the article and included links.

Reactions: na1577
Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
This has been a known issue since iPhone 7.

If you want it to last, don't get red and expose it to direct sunlight.

Comment

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Who can defend this? Gross, Apple.
Just wait a little, they'll show up.

This has been a known issue since iPhone 7.

If you want it to last, don't get red and expose it to direct sunlight.

So your solution is to not pick the color you like and to always use your phone in the dark. Sweet.

Last edited:
Comment

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
so we are at 200,000,000 devices sold between 11 and 12 , and we get some random guy posting a pic of discoloring and this goes straight to the main page and ppl are reacting to this like its a known , wide spread issue with the phone?
Slow day today I guess.

Comment

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Interesting pattern for the color loss. Almost like it was sandblasted or wiped off with solvent (which it almost certainly was not). If it was inside a case, mold release inside a case?

Apple should obtain the phone (exchange for a new one), talk to the owner and figure out what happened.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.