Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus have been available on September 25, many users have begun reporting that their 6s or 6s Plus will randomly turn itself off completely, even when it's left unattended and with sufficient battery power. It's unknown what causes the shut off, but some users have also reported their home button feels warm to the touch when trying to revive their phones.

iphone6s-6sp-select-2015.jpg

Users on Reddit, the Apple support communities and the MacRumors forums have experienced the issue. While 6s and 6s Plus users have seen the majority of incidents, some iPhone 6 users have also reported the issue, indicating that iOS 9 may the root of the problem.

After the issue turns off the phone, the only way to turn the phone back on is to hold the power and home button down for 10 seconds, forcing the phone to restart. MacRumors' forum users have been organizing around the issue, creating a poll to see how many people are affected and gathering data (model number, OS and actions before shut down) to send to Apple's engineering team.

Thus far, the data collected indicates that no specific action causes the shutdown. Additionally, iPhone 6s users and iOS 9.0.1 users appear to be the most affected by the bug.

Users experiencing the issue can contribute to the data pool in this MacRumors' forum thread.

Article Link: Some iPhone 6s Owners Seeing Their Phones Randomly Shut Off

Harrisonppr

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
I had this issue on my iPhone 6 while I was running the public beta a few weeks back, it would happen almost every day. I have not had the issue on my 6S Plus since I received it, on iOS 9, 9.0.1, or 9.0.2. So most likely an iOS 9 issue, not a 6S issue.

Since the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus have been available on September 25, many users have begun reporting that their 6s or 6s Plus will randomly turn itself off completely, even when it's left unattended. It's unknown what causes the shut off, but some users have also reported their home button feels warm to the touch.

iphone6s-6sp-select-2015.jpg

Users on Reddit, the Apple support communities and the MacRumors forums have experienced the issue. While 6s and 6s Plus users have seen the majority of incidents, some iPhone 6 users have also reported the issue, indicating that iOS 9 may the root of the problem.

After the issue turns off the phone, the only way to turn the phone back on is to hold the power and home button down for 10 seconds, forcing the phone to restart. MacRumors' forum users have been organizing around the issue, creating a poll to see how many people are affected and gathering data (model number, OS and actions before shut down) to send to Apple's engineering team.

Thus far, the data collected indicates that no specific action causes the shutdown. Additionally, iPhone 6s users and iOS 9.0.1 users appear to be the most affected by the bug.

Users experiencing the issue can contribute to the data pool in this MacRumors' forum thread.

Article Link: Some iPhone 6s Owners Seeing Their Phones Randomly Shut Off

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
This just happened to me not 1 hour ago. Moreover, my 6s Plus wouldn't turn on after repeated attempts with the on/off button. Tried the DFU start-up and it finally powered back on. Strange, slightly frustrating, and concerning...

(PS. I'm also using 9.1 beta 3, so if it software-based, then the bug is still getting through!).

Reactions: phalanges

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
seems like iOS9 ya. but i'm on on here.

Is it 9.0.1 specifically ? cos i have 9.0.1 iPad, but i still not upgraded yet on iPhone.

Not had any issues.

Reactions: JosephAW

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
seems like iOS9 ya. but i'm on on here.

Is it 9.0.1 specifically ? cos i have 9.0.1 iPad, but i still not upgraded yet on iPhone.

Not had any issues.

I remember at the iPhone 5s release, the compass app wouldn't zero to 0 degrees perfectly. Everyone was in a mad flurry to return their devices in an attempt to get a phone with a working chip.

Turns out it was just a software issue that Apple fixed through an update a few weeks later.

99% sure this will be resolved via software updates based on the comments to date.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
I had this happen to me on the first day. Wasn't sure if I turned it off by mistake.

Gabs_

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Can confirm, it's happened to me a few times. I'm also having an issue where my phone will vibrate like I've toggled the ringer switch on the side. Weird stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.