Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eckerr

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
It's not only battery drain here, on my iPhone SE (1st generation) it makes making calls and doing various other things nearly impossible.

Reactions: MisterMillz

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Overall, even on non beta ios i find it infuriating how the music app starts whenever connected to bluetooth on cars and other devices on it’s own. I do not like anything just starting without explicit direction from the consumer.

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
Aha, I had wondered what the heck was going on. I was putting the terrible battery life of my iPhone down to battery fade over the past couple of days but I’ve done virtually nothing with my phone today and it already needs a charge. Looking at the Battery screen in Settings and I can see Music has been hammering away in the background. Hopefully this gets fixed fast.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
something is definitely worse since 13.5.1. My 3rd gen iPad air battery is getting murdered by Overcast background activity. Sounds like an OS audio bug.
I’m on 13.5.1. Spotify has only used 1% of the battery in the past 24 hours. Not all audio apps that can run in the background have the problem.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Mine started in the same time frame, but before I’d updated to 13.5.1. Two apps affected, Music and a home security app. Tried updating iOS, tried hard restarts, tried booting all apps from memory, tried turning off background activity permissions for the affected non Apple app, tried low power mode & airplane mode—all no change.

What finally worked was logging out of iCloud and back in, which took care of Music, and updating the home security app (which sucks because that update is total crap with major bugs of its own, hence why I hadn’t updated it). 24 hours so far and counting, drain has not returned yet.

iPhone 6s+, no Apple Music

Last edited:

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Zero problems here, I’m on 13.5.1 with an XR since a few hours after it became available.
I’m an Apple Music subscriber and never close apps unless they develop a fault. My Apple Music battery usage from the last 10 days is 4% with 8 hours of background and 15 mins onscreen. I have it set to play as soon as getting in the car, or connecting my Bluetooth earphones.
Not noticed any issues on my partners XR or had complaints from my mother regarding her SE2 battery life either.
It makes you wonder what causes issues like this when it isn’t affecting everyone in some way or another.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Had the same issue but with Siri. On 2 consequent days it drained battery like crazy, I had 8 hours of "screen off" time with Siri.
Even a restart didn't solve it. But after 2 days it just went back to normal.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
No issues on a XR. Probably helps that I don't use iCloud or Apple Music. I also have background refresh turned off for pretty much everything.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
This is (as other say), not just the music app. My wife encountered this problem on her brand new iPhone 11 Pro max. One app was attributed to using a lot of battery in the background. She deleted that app, but the following day the battery drain was attributed to another app.

This might be a lawsuit waiting to happen as Apple is quite slow with a fix. My wife's phone is back to normal now, but I guess other people might need a replacement battery as you can quickly charge your phone twice a day in some situations and that seriously hurts battery life.

Reactions: eiadio

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Anybody with issues have iTunes Match? Curious if there's a common thread.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
This happening to me. It seems the download indicators from the store keep spinning, but the music doesn't ever arrive. Had to delete the music app. Hopefully they will fix this.

troc

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
The Netherlands
I found a whole load of stuck downloads in the music app which I deleted. I also did a hard reset just in case. This appears to have solved the issue for me. For now. iPhone XS with iTunes Match and Music subscription.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
This is also happening to me. Apple Music is going wild in the background even though I’m not using it. Phone gets super hot and kills 50% of the battery by half day

Reactions: DocMultimedia

Hypereides

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I am having a battery drain issue that started in the last few days. It did not coincide with any iOS update of my device. If the root cause is Apple Music and can be fixed on the server side I only hope it is soon.

familyman

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
I had this issue the past couple of days with an Iphone 8+ without running 13.5.1. Apple music would be 85% of battery usage without even using apple music. The battery on my watch had the same problem.

I just wiped both devices last night and setup as new. I'll see what happens.

Squeaky

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Yes, I am experiencing this issue. Seemed to have started yesterday, June 7. Battery drained over the course of the day. Battery app shows it's all due to Apple Music. I made no changes to my software/hardware so must be on Apple's end. Hard reset did nothing.
I "think" I've slowed it by disabling background app refresh and removing all music transfer to my apple watch (which I never use anyway).

iPhone 11 pro, 13.5.1

Last edited:

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I’ll ask again and re-phrase. Does everyone with this issue subscribe to iTunes Match?

Reactions: RedBear
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.