some more test results on the 2.5 mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by philipma1957, Jul 29, 2011.

1. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

okay I installed a 256gb ssd in the 2.5 mini along with 8gb ram the good deal from newegg 20 bucks a stick!

I ran a few tests with the 2.5 today using a 256gb ssd and 8gb ram. I got high geekbench scores of

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/451251 7147

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/451250 7158

I tested the gpu card out by playing kati perry's friday night at 1080p from you tube a few stutters but heck my mac pro stutters so I just think it is internet link.

when I played it at 720p and played big buck bunny at 1080p
    it froze big buck bunny with long 1 to 3 three second pauses . playing it alone was fine

I also got the machine to pull 55 watts. the gpu got to 10.5 watts playing the 1080p version of kati perry while I was hand braking big buck bunny.

what does this all mean. it will handle 1080p well. it is going to be meh with the big 27 inch screen

Now this is why the quad can't have the gpu. watching a video and doing handbrake is something people will do. playing a video game and doing handbrake is also common enough. pulling 55 watts out of 85 watts without any fw use without any usb other then the keyboard means the overhead is not big enough for the psu. I suspect that people with a lot of usb hang on gear and some fw gear may have problems with a lack of power.

2. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

You'd have to look at Activity Monitor to know for sure but I'd suspect the Safari video was pulling way more CPU cycles than it should have or would have comparatively in SL - likely something that will get worked out. you didn't mention how you were playing the BBB.

3. xheathen macrumors 6502

Lol I'm just agonizing over whether or not to buy the new mini.

The absolute biggest hiccup is I'm waiting to see if a friend of mine still has his old copy of CS4 since I can't really afford to buy a whole new copy of CS if I switch from Windows.

I'm really torn over what to do with the hard drive also. Spend the big money on a 250gb SSD? Or will a $100 7200 RPM Scorpio 750gb drive give a good enough jump?! Too much to think about I say!!

4. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

quick time player . I handbraked it then left it on the desktop i clicked it and it played in quicktime player. I suspect the problem is not with big-buck-b the problem was I was running ytube with flash. I had to drop the kati perry video down to 480p to watch it at the same time as big-buck bunny . I think that if I run big buck bunny on itunes and on quick time player at the same time it may do better. I have to set that up.