Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Oh. My. God. Font auto-activation! The end of font management 3rd party apps? Not since the heady days of Adobe Type Manager have I been truly comfortable with font management. Booyah! Semper font!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
pdf manipulating, guest account and grammar checking are way cool. the guest account and grammar checking is what i missed in xp. my friends can use the guest account without using my account with all my keychains and login items. and the grammar checking will be useful when im writing my psychology and biology essays for uni...

Retired
May 16, 2006
I've had to say WOW to quite a few of those. A great bunch of ideas. More useful to me than some of the already known features. It looks like I may be getting Leopard as soon as it comes out after all! :D

Yep, its the small things that usually make the biggest difference in an OS...

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
299+ features?

I haven't studied all 300, but it seems Apple may be creatively counting "features." From the parental controls section, don't these two seem a bit redundant?

"Dynamic Web Filter

... You can override the filter by identifying sites you wish to explicitly allow or disallow certain websites.

Web Filter Overrides

Override the dynamic web content filter to allow your children to view certain blocked sites or prevent them from viewing sites that normally aren’t blocked by the filter."

By this method of counting, my car has two different features:
1. A complete set of foot pedals to control going and stopping.
2. A brake pedal to stop the car.

Sorry to intrude on the jubilation. You may all resume trumpeting your favorite of the "300+" features.

rented mule

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
As long as there is no java6 Leopard is completely useless for me and thousands of other developers. I'm not going to spend my money on Leopard as long as there is no confirmation of Java support..

:(

Good...I don't think I ever want to see another Java app on Mac. If we can get the Java developers to stay away from Mac, it's an OS X feature that gets my blessing. :D

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
You can already scroll a background (inactive) window in Tiger (10.4):

1) Hold down the Apple/Cmd key
2) Drag the scroll bar in an inactive window in the background

You can also drag windows around in the background using the same method. The one thing you can't do is use the scroll wheel though.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Where's "Resolution Independence" ???

What else does Leopard not have that it was supposed to have???

nebben123

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2003
Scrolling non-active windows is NOT NEW

You've always been able to scroll non-active windows, even in Mac OS 9 (and maybe even before that). Just hold down the CMD key, and click on the scroll bar of an inactive window. You can scroll it without making it the front window (you can also move the window around, or close it, etc).

Why does this guy apparently think this is "new" in Leopard?

Ben

[edit: Looks like Fotek2001 beat me to it. GMTA.]

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
You can already scroll a background (inactive) window in Tiger (10.4):

1) Hold down the Apple/Cmd key
2) Drag the scroll bar in an inactive window in the background

You can also drag windows around in the background using the same method. The one thing you can't do is use the scroll wheel though.

Hey that's pretty cool, thanks for the tip.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Love Safari 3, HTML Mail, The Grammar Check & Wikipedia in Dictionary Additions

With Leopard's official announcement, Apple now details a list of 300+ new features that can be found in Mac OS X 10.5.

Sitening compiled a list (with descriptions) of 16 of what they felt were the coolest least known features coming in Leopard.

• TextEdit: OpenDocument and Word 2007 Formats
• Terminal: Workspaces
• .Mac Sync for System Preferences
• Guest Log-In Accounts
• Grammar Check
• Scroll Non-Active Windows
• Printer Drivers via Software Update
• PDF Manipulation in Preview
• Self-Tuning TCP
• Archive Mailbox
• SMS Forwarding
• Event Dropbox
• Font Auto-Activation
• Instant Screen Sharing from the Finder
• Wikipedia in Dictionary
• Synchronize with Yahoo! address book

Yesterday, we took a look at some of the under the hood improvements and system requirements as compared to Tiger.

Meanwhile, AppleInsider looks at iCal 3.0 and Safari 3.0, and Apple has updated their website which show off the major new features of Leopard.

Article Link
Also the full true 32-bit compatible 64-bit support into the future - finally. Very exciting.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

I think res-independence will be there, but not exposed to the user nor touted by Apple for some time. Months? Whenever enough apps are ready for it that the real-world experience of the feature doesn't suck.

I'd love that to be this month, but am not holding my breath. At the same time, I don't expect the feature will have to wait for 10.6 :) Apple will pull the switch some time between now and then, I predict.

Retired
May 16, 2006

Fast OS switching was mentioned on the website for a few hours and now we don't have it.

We don't have the iChat hologram effect shown here:
smallish_holograph.jpg

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Wikipedia in Dictionary.app is cool, but I'm more pleased to see Japanese-English and English-Japanese dictionaries in Dictionary.app. Somewhat strange that the only foreign language they're adding is Japanese, but since that's the only foreign language I speak, it's fine with me!

You've always been able to scroll non-active windows, even in Mac OS 9 (and maybe even before that). Just hold down the CMD key, and click on the scroll bar of an inactive window. You can scroll it without making it the front window (you can also move the window around, or close it, etc).

Why does this guy apparently think this is "new" in Leopard?

Ben

[edit: Looks like Fotek2001 beat me to it. GMTA.]

I think the difference is that in Leopard you can use the scroll wheel. Still, doesn't seem like a very big deal to me...

0racle

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
North Carolina
As long as there is no java6 Leopard is completely useless for me and thousands of other developers. I'm not going to spend my money on Leopard as long as there is no confirmation of Java support..
It will show up eventually (if it's not already in it, I don't know how long it's been out). Java is a solid piece of OS X.

Hasn't MS Word had a grammar check for 5 or 10 years already? Do other apps really need a grammar check? Seems like an odd one to bundle with an OS.
Yes MS Office had it, but that didn't extend to say Safari text inputs. OS X having it exposes it to every application where you input text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.