Some Ques. BEFORE i buy my First Mac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ayon, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ayon macrumors newbie

USER STUFFS

First of all let me introduced to you. I am a complete newbie in macworld.
    I don't own a mac. None of my friend does. I haven't touched a Mac.
    I am going to buy a new Laptop next week and this is going to be first switch for eight years. Need not to mention that all these years i was a dedicated Windows user.

I am from Bangladesh. Its a South-Asian Country. So

1) Mac is not available here.(only 3 shops sell Apple stuff in this country of 160 million people.)

2)Weather is very humid and dust is a common fact in here. If Macbook is vulnerable to dust then i have to start looking for a VAIO or HP.

NOW lets get down to what i do with my PC. I am writing downward according to my needs.

1)Torrent - I am Extreme torrent user 24/7

2)Facebooking / Online Surfing

3)Chatting in YM and MSN

4)Listening to Musics/Watching DVD

5)PDF reading - I consider myself a serious student.

6)Dvd Writing - as a am hardcore collector of music and movie i sometime bring my friends' Harddrive and write the whole damn thing to blank dvd?

Now first four mentioned above are likely to work together.
    <Q1>
    I know that this is not that much of a multitasking but i want to be sure will a 2 GB ram be enough?
    <Q2>
    How much can a superdrive handle? I am going to get extreme on writing DVDs. Should i try an external writer.
    <Q3>
    I will be using a lot of Pendrive and USB external Harddrive.In windows its a commont fact to get virus through USB. Wil that happen to mac too?

What i Don't Do with my PC. that is to help you answering my questions.

1)Games - I am not into games. I may try some Card games time to time. I am a poker addict.

2)Sound or Video editing - I may try some simple Video editing Just for laugh gag some time.

3)3D designing

Reason I am Upgrading after 8 years (these points must be given priority to anser all my question)

1) I want to use Photoshop as i have photography in my mind. Not a professional one but i will try amateur photography. with my archaic Pc i pushed as far as CS2. now i am tired

2)I want to use Office Programmes.

3)Multitasking is "the main reason" of my decision to buy a new one. these are the programmes you may expect to run at the same time

Torrent (Vuze) + YM + MSN + Mozilla (with 4-5 tab opened) + Adobe Reader + Adobe Photoshop CS3/ Office Programme

AND IN THE END THANKS FOR READING THIS LONG THREAD.:)

[/COLOR]

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

WINrar as in WINdows come on use your brain. Torrents are ilegal

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It doesn't matter if people are dying of food. A group of people put in time and effort to making software. Stealing is illegal, NO MATTER THE JUSTIFICATION. Pirating software is stealing and also illegal so we will not help you. You certainly are not welcome, at least for making us read a thread of a person who has no/poor morals and ethics. And certainly not since I code small apps and seeing this disgusts me.

4. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

My point exactly snow leaopard Im about to start making apps too

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

No torrents are not illegal. Downloading illegal files through torrents is illegal. There are many legal ways to use torrents.
    Any ways, to answer your questions.

1)2gb of ram should be more than enough for what you want to do. Though if you plan on running say windows in a virtual machine (through VMware, or Parallels) you may want to consider 4gb of ram.
    2) I dont know what you mean by how mucha super drive can handle.. it is just a standard dvd burner, nothing special. I dont know why you would bother getting an external writer when the one inside is good enough.
    3)There are currently no effective viruses for macs. So you currently do not need to worry. That does not mean there never will be though, so be smart.. Though there will be security fixes if that happens any ways ;)
    One thing though, there are trojans..
    4) Talking about illegal things like piracy is not allowed here. But why wouldn't the macbook "support" them? a quick search online would show many pirated OS X software.. So they must be usable right?
    5)For the software you will need to find alternatives... or run windows, or run something like Crossover which lets you run some windows software.
    -For rapget I use speed download.
    -Torrents - You can use uTorrent(for mac), or Transmission
    -Winrar, there is a few options.
    • Console based Rar program for rarlabs (creator of winrar)
    • UnrarX
    • Stuffit pro
    -Imgburn.. I nevr used it, but I assume it is for urning cdimages like ISOs? OSX has that ability built in. Though there is a program called Toast, really good. Can mount CD images, burn them, burn musc, dvds etc.

6) No, using windows on a mac will not cause it to crash or interfere with the mac/OSX side of things... Just a rumor ;)

As for which to get, I would get the mac (and I did do it just a few months ago). As OS X is just soooooooo good. Plus you can run windows (either dualboot, or virtual machine in a window... or both which is what I do).
    You can not do that on a vaio (easily).

6. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

1) 2GB is enough, however if you want you can get up to 6GB cheaply by buying it online, cheaper than Apple's RAM.
    2)Don't quite understand the question. It just handles DVDs and CDs.
    3)No, none of those worms will make its way to your mak.
    4)You can sure find a lot of those.
    5)
    RapGet --> Speed Download
    Vuze--> available for Mac
    WinRar --> 7zx or Stuffit Pro
    ImgBurn --> Toast ($$) or Burn, there are also other free alternatives, just google it.
    PowerDVD --> I think that VLC will do the job.
    6)Looks like a win fanboyish rumor.

7. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I wrote out three paragraphs to reply to this post, but I deleted it because I'm ashamed I almost took the bait. If you don't agree with this guy, who by the way, happens to live in a third world country, then don't come and troll his thread. :rolleyes:

8. jonnymorris macrumors member

Something you will notice about Mac OS X is that out of the box there are far fewer system settings to worry about, although pretty much everything can be twiddled with the right software (several excellent freeware utilities exist such as Onyx) or directly using the Terminal, a shell window into the unix core, just like in other unix machines and linux. You never have to worry about it though, it's not necessary to ever use Terminal or Onyx to keep the Mac running smoothly but it can help if something has upset your system.

Where you are from does not condone or excuse using pirated software, but I can understand where you're coming from with that.

Can you buy online from the Apple Store?

I think most computers may have trouble in extreme conditions, particularly with dust getting into the machine which may affect the DVD drive (maybe give it a quick vacuuming now and again? ;)), but you could check out the Electrical and operating requirements on the Apple website product pages:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/mac/
    http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/specs.html

There are far fewer holes in the MacBook compared to PC laptops I have seen, and the ones on the MacBook should be easy to cover with tape (except the exhaust slots at the back which are needed for cooling).

The things you will do with your Mac: 1) 2) 3) 4) are easy on a Mac, you should have no problem doing them all at the same time.

5) PDF writing is built in to OS X, unlike on Windows. You can create a PDF from almost any application that has a print function (choose Print As PDF). OS X also comes with a built-in PDF reader (Preview) but Adobe Reader is better in my opinion.

The internal DVD burner is not a heavy-duty device, it will be capable but may not be as reliable or robust as a solid external one if used a lot, so I would recommend a quality external firewire / USB2 (if the MacBook you buy does not have Firewire then get an external DVD burner that has USB2). I highly recommend Pioneer DVD RW drives.

You should be safe from viruses when using Mac OS X, but if you choose to install Windows as a dual-boot option or a virtual machine then it will be just as susceptible to viruses as any Windows PC, so anti-virus software is essential in your Windows installation. Windows viruses will not affect the Mac OS X partition, so if you do get a virus in Windows you can just wipe the Windows partition and re-install Windows (using Boot Camp in OS X 10.5).
    Windows will still have all those annoying Windows problems, but Apple have provided a good set of drivers so they at least should not be a problem for you. Windows installation is handled using Boot Camp which is only available in Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), all new MacBooks currently come with Leopard pre-installed.

One other thing to keep in mind about viruses - although Windows viruses will not affect Mac OS X, it is still possible to become a carrier and spread viruses that are attached to downloaded files or files that you get from your friends. You can easily scan your Downloads folder (or other location) for viruses using free software such as ClamXav, I'm sure your PC-owning friends will appreciate the effort. :) Do not bother with Norton Anti-virus or any other commercial anti-virus product for Mac, they're generally rubbish and cause more trouble than any virus threat that currently exists for Mac OS X.

iMovie and iDVD are as easy or as complex as you want them to be, and there are some great tutorials to run through. Beware though - most of the new MacBooks do not have Firewire so many Camcorders one or two years old may not work with them, they need USB2 now. All MacBooks and iMacs have a built-in webcam which you can use to record photos and video, great for goofing around with!

There is iWork from Apple (iWork does not come with the MacBook, it is purchased separately), Microsoft Office for Mac OS X, NeoOffice (a port of OpenOffice), OpenOffice, and numerous others such as AbiWord and Scribus.
    NeoOffice, OpenOffice, AbiWord and Scribus are free open source software.
    I use NeoOffice for word processing and databases at home, it's 99% compatible with all Microsoft Office files.

If you tie up the hard drive with big downloads and Photoshop CS3 tiling then performance may suffer, but nothing like the kind of drag you'd likely experience in Windows if you tried doing the same thing. I regularly use Firefox with loads of tabs open without a problem.

There are plenty of free and open source programs available these days (for Windows and Mac), check out this list: http://www.opensourcemac.org/
    There you will find programs to do just about anything, and probably a few things you never thought of doing before!

Why bother? Just learn to use the legally free stuff.

32-bit Windows Vista and Windows XP SP2 are officially supported by Boot Camp, watch the quick video on the page here: http://www.apple.com/uk/mac/ and check out the details here: http://www.apple.com/uk/support/bootcamp/

You're welcome.

9. ayon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry i missed the lose WIN part.
    But torrents are not illegal.

I am sorry that i hurt you feelings. I just told every truth so it might help you to help me.

10. ayon thread starter macrumors newbie

THXN BRO...GREAT HELP

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Buy from anywhere you can.

Not helping you with that. What you are doing is illegal.

Get a high-end MacBook; not the MacBook Pro.

Yep.
    Very much, just use it.
    Impossible.

No, it doesn't.

No.

BUY IT.

12. yoppie macrumors 6502a

You can't afford Photoshop ($1) but you can afford a MacBook? Something is wrong. You steal software because you WANT to. PERIOD. THE END.

People starving and dying around you have nothing to do with your purchase. If it did, I doubt purchasing a premium notebook would be a priority for you so come up with another lame excuse because this one doesn't work for you.

13. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i havent read anything in this thread yet,
    Buy first ask questions later.:D

14. jonnymorris macrumors member

Firewire is a connection type similar to USB2, created by Apple primarily to support their video editing market place, but is also used for external hard drives and DVD burners for faster and more reliable performance.

Subsequently it is also what most Camcorders use to connect to a computer for transferring data. Very recently they have started moving to USB2 because they have hard drive or solid-state storage in the camcorders, so there is less of a requirement for a reliable and consistent transfer rate (which USB2 does not provide).

Apple have had Firewire in their computers for the past ten years or so, but the new MacBooks no longer have it. Look here for more detailed info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

Firewire is much faster and more reliable than USB, it's a shame Apple have decided to drop support for it in their MacBooks, it's still available in the iMac and Mac Pro though.

15. jonnymorris macrumors member

You have to appreciate it's a completely different culture and environment to the US and Western Europe, attitudes are very different as a consequence. Using pirated software may be just a way of life, knowing no different, it is up to us to point out alternatives.

I live in a rich country; I can afford a MacBook but I would not say that I could also afford the latest Photoshop. I happen to know that I can achieve the results I want by using legally free alternatives.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Doesn't matter. Stealing is still stealing. Just because your culture is different, doesn't mean you can do whatever you like. I do understand different culture and environment, but again, stealing is still stealing. If he (OP) knows it's pirated, he must know he's stealing. It hurts only the legit people who actually buy their software.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This isn't a case of Amazon tribes that don't wear clothes and the "enlightened" explorers showing them the error of their ways.

This is a civilized nation with technology, stealing other technology.

18. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

A "serious" student, does "torrent 24/7" and RapidShare (then says there are valid legal reasons to use it), likes "Facebooking", online surfing, chatting in YM and MSN, listening to "Musics", wants to run pirated software, poker addict, might do videos for a "gag" sometime.

Gee, I think I know what we have here, and an AMAZING amount of time went into answering him. But hey, your nickle... your minutes being used that are subtracted from your time on earth.

19. ayon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys...i have edited my post.
    I am sorry for all the misleading facts.

Just tell me other great thing about Mac other then Virus issue.

20. ayon thread starter macrumors newbie

That was some good observation....i really appreciate that

21. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

Its only stealing if its against the law, and it may not be against the law in his country.

People should learn some cultural relativity. The west has been screwing these people for cheap labour to make our designer clothes for decades, and now we winge and whine when they dont want to pay (or more likely cant afford) the $20 for each Blu-Ray DVD movie. I dont blame them personally, good on him. Theres a reason Apple doesn't have a store in his country, and theres only 3 resellers for 160 million people, work it out, because they generally cant afford Apple products being one of the poorest countries on earth, and Apple knows this which is why there isn't a store there, thats basic demographics. So what makes you think they can afford to shell out the fortune for our overpriced movies and games? I completely understand we should support the people who made these movies and games, and personally (being a coder myself) i always pay legally in a store or in the iTunes store, however these people cant afford to pay anyway, and so its a bit unfair to expect them to pay our prices.

Before anyone says well thats not very capitalist and the people who live there should work harder and its not our fault, i would like to point out the whole entire country gets flooded every year because its situated in a delta, and this kills hundreds of thousands of people every year.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bg.html

22. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

IF you download Photoshop CS3/CS4 from torrent, THEN you'll most likely get a Trojan and be infected. There been many infection of Mac software by trojans (NOT VIRUS) on the pirated side. This does affect iWork 09 and iLife 09 too if you get them from torrent.

23. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Just a point...

Torrents themselves are not illegal. The violations of copyrighted material that occur on the vast majority of torrents are illegal. Things like Linux distributions run via torrents are NOT illegal.

24. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Let's see.

I'm from Brazil, a Latin American country with 180 million people. Macs are incredibly expensive here, more than in any other country of the world (I guess), due to very heavy taxes on electronics (the cheapest MacBooks costs about US$ 2,000, and the most expensive MacBook Pro can cost up to US$ 6,000 - no kidding). Still, last year Macs have just started to pick up on sales (there is a local subsidiary of Apple here, and premium Apple resellers in the largest cities, but not an Apple Store). However, the bulk of the population is poor and has no conditions of spending US$ 2,000 on a Mac - most people will rather spend US$ 500 and buy a 15.4" rough-edged Celeron-based notebook manufactured by any local company. Perhaps Bangladesh is not very different from this, am I correct?

I have no data on that, but I guess a MacBook is as vulnerable to dust and humidity as any HP or Sony Vaio.

You can use the brand-new uTorrent for Mac, which is in version 0.91 beta, but works well. You may also use Transmission or Vuze, if you prefer.

You won't have many problems with that.

Yahoo! Messenger is available for MacOS. I've never used it, so I don't know if there are many differences between this and the PC version. I guess they are pretty much the same, but I've heard the Mac version lacks some features (such as VOIP).

Microsoft Messenger is available for Mac at version 7. There are important features missing here, such as webcam support. Microsoft said it will release a version with webcam support in 2009. There are workarounds for this problem. You may use Mercury Messenger or aMSN, software which supports the MSN protocol and webcam on a Mac. They both lack some polish, but I found Mercury to have some really cool features that the Microsoft product lacks - this includes a list of people who has excluded or blocked you, and you may also sign up on more than one MSN account at the same time (polygamy). You should give those two products (aMSN and Mercury) a try, since there are Windows versions available as well.

Another solution is to run Windows through a virtual machine (such as in Parallels or VMWare Fusion) and use Windows Live Messenger, the real thing.

In addition, you have lots of other software for Mac, such as Adium (multi-protocol, has a plug-in to support webcam in MSN conversations), Skype, iChat (which is simply amazing when you talk to other Mac owners, since this program is not available for other platforms), etc.

You shouldn't have any issues with that. You have iTunes for Mac, of course, so you can listen to your MP3 songs. In addition, you may want to try the open source Songbird. You can try Windows versions of these products.

For watching videos, there is VLC and QuickTime. And MacOS may play DVDs, of course (but not blu-ray, as far as I am concerned).

You may want to try other products too.

Not many problems here too. MacOS comes with Preview, which can be used to see PDF files. If you prefer, you may install Adobe Reader. I like Skim, a PDF reader which organizes annotations in an easy way. There is a preview of Foxit Reader for MacOS, but it lacks the tab feature and I have not heard of it lately (perhaps it is not developed anymore).

No Nero for Mac, unfortunately. But there is Roxio Toast, and free software such as Burn, available for MacOS.

2 GB of RAM should be enough to run all of these tasks simultaneously.

Dunno. I've never used it so much to the point of breaking it.

Viruses for Mac do exist, but they are far less frequent than in PCs. You should have an anti-virus software, but you shouldn't worry much about it.

Fortunately you are not into games. There are card games available for Mac. But Mac is not the platform for games. You won't run Crysis on it. If you want games, go the Windows way. Or buy a XBOX 360 or a Playstation 3, or a Wii.

Macs are very good at sound and video editing. There are lots of good software available, including the almighty Final Cut Pro. But that is for professionals. There are lots of good stuff for amateurs too.

You'd probably need a Mac Pro if you wanted to do that.

Photoshop CS4 is available for Mac and is basically the same as the Windows version. If you want to do amateur photography, perhaps you should consider other kinds of software, which are easier to use - Photoshop has lots of features, but it requires some time to learn and to actually do things. You may have more professional-looking stuff using lesser programs.

There are some options here:

1) Microsoft Office - This is what everyone ends up buying. It is not half as polished as the Windows version, is slow and sluggish (it hogs RAM, as opposite to the Windows version), and has far less features: you only get Word, Excel and PowerPoint, no OneNote or Publisher. But, with all its problems, it still gets the job done.

2) iWork - the Apple office suite. Good-looking, streamlined and well-integrated into MacOS. It has some great features. But it lacks some other features. Pages is layout-driven word processor, but it has different features than Word (no support for cross-references, for instance). Numbers is far less competent than Excel. Keynote is much better than PowerPoint, but not 100% compatible (so you may have problems if you wish to present your Keynote presentation on a Windows computer).

3) OpenOffice.org - for Mac. And for free. The same as the Windows version. Period.

4) If you want just the word processor, you should seriously try Mellel (which has incredible support for other languages) and Nisus Writer Pro.

OK, let's see.

Photoshop - will consume about 200 MB when operating heavily, but it will depend on the size of the image;

Microsoft Word - about 200 MB, but it will depend on the size of the document (about 150 MB for OpenOffice.org Writer, and about 100 MB for Pages);

Adobe Reader - about 100 MB with 3-5 very large PDFs opened (you should use something else, which hogs less memory, such as Preview or Skim);

Mozilla Firefox - about 140-160 MB with 6-7 tabs opened (Safari is less of a memory hog);

Vuze - about 100 MB or even more (why don't you use uTorrent, which hogs less than 20 MB?);

MSN Messenger - about 30 MB (Mercury Messenger takes about 150 MB - badly written software);

Yahoo! Messenger - don't really know because I don't use it. I suppose it shouldn't exceed 100 MB.

Well, all these programs working together will take about something between 700 MB - 1 GB of your memory. Unless you're running a virtual machine or doing some serious photo/video editing, I see no need for more than 2 GB of RAM.

25. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

I can see both sides of these arguments, however, you have to realize there are third world countries but this guy cannot be in that an affected area, he has an internet connection, he has a laptop, he is planning on buying a premium laptop. Saying he cannot afford Photoshop for $1 (dont know how?) is ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, we dont even know if this guy is really from Bangladesh..

You can never trust the internet :)